• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Faking Injuries

They didn’t lose because of someone faking a damn injury, they lost because they sucked. Again, if you lose a game because someone faked an injury, you already suck.
You keep sayin "faking a injury" In the Indiana case it was clearly part of the game plan. It was done to slow the game so that Indy players could catch their breath. More teams are now doing it for this reason. Rule changes happen when teams abuse the system or it affects competition. It has become a way for teams to give them self extra time outs. That is abuse.

You keep sayin "faking a injury" In the Indiana case it was clearly part of the game plan. It was done to slow the game so that Indy players could catch their breath. More teams are now doing it for this reason. Rule changes happen when teams abuse the system or it affects competition. It has become a way for teams to give them self extra time outs. That is abuse.
Then so be it. Overcome it, win. NU was probably more focused on some silly tempo than they were winning the damn game. There is no effective, fair way to implement something like that and it’s outright dumb.

Not feasible for the simple reason that you can't instantly verify every actual injury, let alone a fake one. Missing the rest of the series will do or maybe even better, a clock run off.
Yeah that’s all well and good, until it affects your team, and was legit the whole time. The QB takes a solid hit and is slow to get up on the last drive of the game. Oh wait, he has to sit the rest of the series. In comes Zack Lee, game over, you lose. The starter could have come back in the next play, but, the silly, stupid rule says he has to sit the series.

Last edited:
Give a team say..3 stoppage of play timeouts per game for injuries. If there is any stoppage of play to tend to a player more than your 3 allotments it counts as a timeout. If you are out of timeouts and someone cant get off the field its a delay of game penalty. Then there is not judgement call on who is injured. If they slow the play of the game, they have a timeout to cover that.

They can easily figure out how many times a player is helped on the field or play is slowed to get him off. Just use that average and everything is fair.

However it's stopped is pretty much OK with me. It's NOT part of the game and it attacks the integrity of everyone involved. Would it be OK if PGA players could slightly IMPROVE their golf ball lies when in the rough? Using a little foot mashie so as to help things along? Of course not no more then football players FLOPPING trying to disrupt an opponents quick tempo offense. Sadly we have some HC's that ascribe to such CHEATING tactics! Pathetic but there is little premium placed on honesty and integerty anymore with some people. There's many good ways to penalize teams that obviously (like IN) that had their players flopping around like a mackerel out water! Totally shameful imo.

Last edited:
However it's stopped is pretty much OK with me. It's NOT part of the game and it attacks the integrity of everyone involved. Would it be OK if PGA players could slightly IMPROVE their golf ball lies when in the rough? Using a little foot mashie so as to help things along? Of course not no more then football players FLOPPING trying to disrupt an opponents quick tempo offense. Sadly we have some HC's that ascribe to such CHEATING tactics! Pathetic but there is little premium placed on honesty and integerty anymore with some people. There's many good ways to penalize teams that obviously (like IN) that had their players flopping around like a mackerel out water! Totally shameful imo.
Again, if a team is so worried about another team faking an injury to slow the game down, they likely suck anyway. If team A loses a game because team B faked a few injuries, team A probably isn’t worth a damn.

Then so be it. Overcome it, win. NU was probably more focused on some silly tempo than they were winning the damn game. There is no effective, fair way to implement something like that and it’s outright dumb.

Honestly I was as pissed off about Indiana’s BS as anyone, but you really can’t prove in game that a kid isn’t hurt, has a cramp, ext. The NCAA is always going to pretend to err on the side of caution as it relates to player safety, so I don’t know that they’ll do much of anything.

I will say I’d be pissed in a big way if we were to get good again and something like that costs us an important game.

Again, if a team is so worried about another team faking an injury to slow the game down, they likely suck anyway. If team A loses a game because team B faked a few injuries, team A probably isn’t worth a damn.
So basically you're saying even when a team cheats it really doesn't matter long as you can still beat them? It's not a question of worry it's a question of integrity to the game imo. Your theory could easy be expanded to all sorts of rule breaking. Long as the other team beats them despite the cheating who cares? I simply don't see it like that and doing what IN did cheapens the entire game.

I wonder if this issue of a player taking a dive can be solved by the players, who know if it is real or not. An opposing player like the kid from Indiana, once he returns could be met on the next play by a tight end or someone who gives him a pancake block and that could continue for the next five or six plays. Nothing illegal mind you, but a determined effort to help the player understand what an injury means.

No huddle has been around a while. There is always a loop hole somewhere. Let’s just make some more rules, ruin the game even further, that’s always the answer. :rolleyes:
You know what my idea of a good time is? Watching a guy slowly fall to the ground, having the ref stop play, watching the guy get up and slowly walk off the field, and then watching the same guy return to the field on the next play. It's a freaking ball of fire, sign me up! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Disagree. In close games you are trying to get any advantage you can, you are working the margins. If a coach can gain a 3% advantage by doing something like this, that 3% can swing a 50/50 game. No, this isn't going to help Vandy beat Bama. But it can absolutely impmact K-State vs OSU.

Disagree. In close games you are trying to get any advantage you can, you are working the margins. If a coach can gain a 3% advantage by doing something like this, that 3% can swing a 50/50 game. No, this isn't going to help Vandy beat Bama. But it can absolutely impmact K-State vs OSU.
To say nothing this is like having an ENDLESS supply of timeouts! You want to catch a blow (defense is gassed) or straighten something out you simply have one of the boys take a flop!! No this is pure BS and it's going to be taken advantage of until there are some senseable rules established. All these fake injury time outs that have nothing to do with injuries.

Honestly I was as pissed off about Indiana’s BS as anyone, but you really can’t prove in game that a kid isn’t hurt, has a cramp, ext. The NCAA is always going to pretend to err on the side of caution as it relates to player safety, so I don’t know that they’ll do much of anything.

I will say I’d be pissed in a big way if we were to get good again and something like that costs us an important game.
We all be pissed. For sure. That said, there is no way to do it that wouldn’t or couldn’t result in a potential lawsuit, especially if a kid tried to play thru a real injury not wanting to come out for however long the penalty may be. It’s just dumb.

If someone can use it to beat Alabama, then hell, go for it. 97% of the time, you’ll fail because a good/great team can overcome gimmicks and mind games and still kick your ass. People do what they do and always will. NU was just not a good team and they worried about something out of their control. Focus wins games, overcome it and win.

Yeah that’s all well and good, until it affects your team, and was legit the whole time. The QB takes a solid hit and is slow to get up on the last drive of the game. Oh wait, he has to sit the rest of the series. In comes Zack Lee, game over, you lose. The starter could have come back in the next play, but, the silly, stupid rule says he has to sit the series.
I hear you but I think the whole thing was based on fake injuries to slow down the other team's offense, i.e. what Indiana did to us to slow our offense down. I wouldn't think if we were driving for a potential winning or tying score that a team would fake an injury with their QB ot the refs would deem the QB faking an injury. And if he was really "injured" to the point the refs deemed it serious enough to blow the whistle, then it would not be ruled a "fake" injury, thus just sit out a play. If what everyone is talking about is that ALL INJURIES, FAKE or NOT are subject to this rule, then it will not pass, because even the inept NCAA would realize some seriously injured people would try to "gut" through it and continue playing, thus potentially further injuring themselves. It is the plays, ala Indiana again as the perfect example, where they are on the ground, play is stopped, they get up and run off he field and stand by their coaches to get further instructions for the next play when they come back in. I think there are already "run off" penalties for the offense due to an injury with zero timeouts left (but maybe I am wrong).

In your scenario, if it is an actual injury to the QB, and he has been deemed to be injured by the refs enough that they stop the clock to make him leave, I believe it would fall back to the 'miss one play" scenario, since it is NOT in the offense's best interest to stop the clock and lose the QB for the rest of the series, unless they are ahead and running the clock out or trying to get that clinching 1st down. Then the other QB would have to play, anyway, at least for 1 play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back