• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fake slide...

...don't like it.

Defensive players are told to respect the slide and ease up in order to avoid a personal foul. The fake slide will be outlawed within the year.
It should already be outlawed. You shouldn't have to pass a rule to outlaw it.

Will the referees know it when they see it? They can and should channel the inner Potter Stewart.... Should it be reviewable?

Funny thing, has reviewing made referees less willing to make the tough calls, especially if they are not reviewable?

Don't call the runner down even when forward progress has stopped, ball pops out, the whistle wasn't blown...

...don't like it.

Defensive players are told to respect the slide and ease up in order to avoid a personal foul. The fake slide will be outlawed within the year.
The fake slide is really bad for the game, albeit I really haven't seen it attempted outside of the Pitt game. I do think it is going to be difficult to legislate.

Right now there is already and issue with runners who will tight rope the sideline and then take a big step out of bounds as the defender approaches, to draw a late hit penalty. It is essentially the same premise. Trying to bait a penalty that is in place to protect the player that is exploiting it.

I am sure there are some subtleties in the rule, but I always hear that the QB is down once they begin their slide. I would think the refs could easily blow the whistle and call him down at the point he appears to be taking a slide.

Last edited:

Meh. It was more juke with a foot drag than a slide. Tackle the dude already.
From the article…

Pickett admitted after the game that he did do it on purpose.

"Yeah, it was intentional," said Pickett, the ACC Player of the Year who accounted for three touchdowns Saturday night. "I just kind of started slowing down and pulling up and getting ready to slide and I just kind of saw their body language and they just pulled up as well. ... I have never done that before. I just kind of kept going after I initially started to slide."

Read the rest of the article below

Wake Forest football coach Dave Clawson says NCAA should review rules on fake slides following TD by Pitt QB Kenny Pickett

1429723529-gmichael-3.gif

Last edited:
It should already be outlawed. You shouldn't have to pass a rule to outlaw it.

Will the referees know it when they see it? They can and should channel the inner Potter Stewart.... Should it be reviewable?

Funny thing, has reviewing made referees less willing to make the tough calls, especially if they are not reviewable?

Don't call the runner down even when forward progress has stopped, ball pops out, the whistle wasn't blown...
Agree and when are they going to outlaw pushing??? Should be a penalty to push the runner from behind. Maddening !!

Compared to Crouch bowling over an Iowa defender to score, this is a weenie move, but I don't no how you make the call if you're a ref. Maybe he just slipped or tripped in the open field. It happens.

I like it.

If you're a defender, man up and hit the ball carrier. If the QB is running downfield, he's a fair target. Knock his block off. Especially if he's in the middle of the field and not trying to scamper out of bounds.

And if he's going for a slide, you still make contact. You're playing whistle to whistle. Yes, I realize it's not NFL rules, but defenders should always be making contact with a downed ball carrier as a best practice. Heck, we were taught that in pee wee football as a kid.

In this case, the Wake defenders just eased up when they were 5 yards away, leaving a big hole for Pickett to run through. You close the gap, clog up any rushing lanes, and make sure that QB has his rump on the ground.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back