• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fairly vs. The Same

joncarl

Nobody important
15 Year Member
“Marv Levy used to say – great Hall of Fame coach – you treat everyone fairly, but not everyone the same,” Reich said then. “I would think it makes sense, and everyone understands it, that with 24 years (in Vinatieri’s NFL career), that there is a sense where: We believe in him. If (he’s) going through a rough patch, we’re going to be a little more patient with him.”

While this quote was talking directly about Adam Vinatieri, it is interesting none the less. Obviously in college someone can't have a long career that warrants maybe a little bit of 'benefit of the doubt', but I look at Martinez and I was one that thought he should have been benched for someone else, at least for a quarter, series or whatever. But looking at this quote from a coach and thinking about Dr. Tom and his dealing with LP and Scott deciding to bench Martinez or not, or even his decisions on MW, I get their paid a lot of money but I never really thought about the difference between treating everyone 'Fairly, but not the same'. Just some random thoughts.

“Marv Levy used to say – great Hall of Fame coach – you treat everyone fairly, but not everyone the same,” Reich said then. “I would think it makes sense, and everyone understands it, that with 24 years (in Vinatieri’s NFL career), that there is a sense where: We believe in him. If (he’s) going through a rough patch, we’re going to be a little more patient with him.”

While this quote was talking directly about Adam Vinatieri, it is interesting none the less. Obviously in college someone can't have a long career that warrants maybe a little bit of 'benefit of the doubt', but I look at Martinez and I was one that thought he should have been benched for someone else, at least for a quarter, series or whatever. But looking at this quote from a coach and thinking about Dr. Tom and his dealing with LP and Scott deciding to bench Martinez or not, or even his decisions on MW, I get their paid a lot of money but I never really thought about the difference between treating everyone 'Fairly, but not the same'. Just some random thoughts.

I do think it applies more in professional sports than in college.

As to TO dealing with players, he would also snatch a QB who wasn't getting it done in a heartbeat if he felt the kid behind him had a chance to do a better job. I don't think he was unfair at all.

On the MW thing, I'm still really torn. I have no idea what Mo has or hasn't done to satisfy the staff's requirements to stay on the team and play, so I have to defer to Frost & Co. I do hope that he takes into account any possible negative affects bringing him back and having him not follow the rules would have.

The only thing that is clear with MW and AM is..............there is no discernible metric visible to the outsider how the issues are being managed. We must trust the chosen metric is the best one, and all things are being considered.

I do think it applies more in professional sports than in college.

As to TO dealing with players, he would also snatch a QB who wasn't getting it done in a heartbeat if he felt the kid behind him had a chance to do a better job. I don't think he was unfair at all.

On the MW thing, I'm still really torn. I have no idea what Mo has or hasn't done to satisfy the staff's requirements to stay on the team and play, so I have to defer to Frost & Co. I do hope that he takes into account any possible negative affects bringing him back and having him not follow the rules would have.
It may apply MORE to professional sports, but it definitely applies somewhat to all levels. I've had kids that I've held out of practice when they are nursing injuries that aren't serious because I know what they're capable of. They probably COULD practice, but the risk of aggravating an injury isn't worth making them take practice reps. I know what they're capable of doing, so they sit for a couple days to ensure they're healthy for a game.

Same thing happens with a proven running back who might've uncharacteristically fumbled a couple of times. I pulled one out this past season after two fumbles, had a chat, then trusted him enough to put him right back in the game. He was lights out the rest of the way. I wouldn't have had that level of patience or trust with other players, but I knew he was capable based on his history.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back