• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fair question. Who has confidence Frost can turn this around?

I want to say yes, but if I had to put my $$ where my mouth is, I wouldn't.

I'm operating off blind faith at this point. That, and hoping for a double redemption story- he gets boo'd as QB then comes back to win a Natty. Gets boo'd as a coach then comes back to win... a trophy for not being DFL in the B1G West!

If you mean by saying turn around....get us to 500 ball. Then yes I think he can. The ceiling for us in this league is only slightly more than 500, year in year out. I don’t care who the coach is.
I disagree with this. Win, and this program can still excel. I see no reason why not. It has the money, the passion, and legions of starving fans. Win, and Husker Nation will explode. It constantly is #4 in the BIG in recruiting all the while sucking. Imagine what it could do if it actually won? It’s capable, indeed so!

I realize Im beating a dead horse here, but we dont have the talent to run this offense Frost wants. We need to slow things down and run the clock to protect our defense. There is iform in the playbook, AM2 has proven he can run under center. This fixes your snap problems and opens up play action to the tight ends. Lets atleast give power football a shot at this point, we are seeing Callahan 2.0. Square peg in a round hole never giving your defense a chance. Jmo

in my opinion, the sign to me that he's done and won't turn it around here is when he gave the whole "prove the doubters wrong" schpiel, in addition to the stuff about sticking with jurgens and calling Luke "the future". to me, that speaks of a delusional mentality. people who set out to prove doubters wrong usually don't, because they are unwilling to take constructive criticism and believe they already have it figured out and are doing the right thing, hence the "doubter proving".
He's a genius (someone like him absolutely knows how to fix the bad snaps, get simpler plays for young players, call specific plays for specific players, use the running back more, have better practices, e.t.c e.t.c.), but he's also too delusional and stubborn to change course from his preselected way to win here. people like that need a paradigm shift, but that isn't happening till he hits rock bottom. problem is, he isn't hitting rock bottom till he gets fired from here and from another subsequent program.

I disagree with this. Win, and this program can still excel. I see no reason why not. It has the money, the passion, and legions of starving fans. Win, and Husker Nation will explode. It constantly is #4 in the BIG in recruiting all the while sucking. Imagine what it could do if it actually won? It’s capable, indeed so!
Every team in this conference has money, good coaching, and players. A 7-5, 8-4 team, year in year out is the best we can hope for. If we move back to the B12 it would be more like 9-3. The B1G schedule is brutal, 9 games of big talented teams. It’s equally as tough as the SEC. Except the SEC only plays an 8 game schedule. By that measure the B1G is the worst conference to try to turn a team around in.

Unless Frostee modifies his thinking and the wounded duck offense he is gonna get fired. I cant say when because Nebraska has the stomach to lose alot and its now endemic with the name Nebraska. Remember smiling Mike got fired for .5 winning and our home boy is at an estanishing .345. If his name was anything else he would already be gone.

I am backing Frost because I still want to believe that he's the coaching genius I thought he was when he was hired. But I have my concerns.

Teams win either because they recruit better talent or because they develop whatever talent they have better than other teams. I would put Michigan and PSU in the former category (at least prior to this year), and I would put Northwestern and Wisconsin in the latter category. And then there are those teams like Ohio State that fit into both categories and are truly scary.

I thought we would show signs of emulating Ohio State by now. But instead of fitting into both categories, I'm not seeing us fitting into either category. We seem like we are recruiting well but then hemorrhage our allegedly best recruits. And despite allegedly out-recruiting most of our Big Ten West foes, we can't beat them on the field.

I really want a reason to believe. But belief is becoming more and more difficult.

Last edited:

Every team in this conference has money, good coaching, and players. A 7-5, 8-4 team, year in year out is the best we can hope for. If we move back to the B12 it would be more like 9-3. The B1G schedule is brutal, 9 games of big talented teams. It’s equally as tough as the SEC. Except the SEC only plays an 8 game schedule. By that measure the B1G is the worst conference to try to turn a team around in.
Then I suppose they may as well pack it in and call it quits. What’s the point by your logic? No point at all, less the entertainment and some high paying jobs, and no one likes a constant loser.

The damage to the brand has been done. Nebraska does not have a positive reputation and, if I'm being honest, it barely had one with recruits 7 or 8 years ago either so I don't think losing a bunch right now makes much of a difference.

Frost is in a hole and he needs to dig himself out. Can he do it? I would definitely bet on him before any other coach we could hire in the next few years. At this point the only person we could hire would be an up and comer who, if successful, would just use Nebraska as a stepping stone to a better job.

Frost has a great coaching pedigree and has been successful at every place previous to Nebraska. He's clearly made some mistakes so far and hopefully he's learning from them. Moos has said more than once that year 5 is the one to judge him by. I struggle with this because I am not a very patient person but that is what I keep going back to. And it makes sense if you consider the walk-on program. In order to really reap the benefits of the walk-on program, you need 5th year seniors who you've developed through the system.

So when Nebraska has 5th year senior walk-ons in 2022, that's when we need to look like a real football team. Do I have some doubts? Yes. There are some things that have been driving me absolutely nuts with Frost's teams. But do I think he can do it? Yes. He is clearly a coach with a ton of potential and I think we should let him learn on the job because if he figures out how to win here, he'll stay for the next 25 years. That kind of continuity is what we need in Lincoln, not another ride on the coaching carousel.

Seriously what gives any idea that this system will work. HCSF is life support because his offense it high school like and lacks P5 sophistication. We are imploding and not exploding. I would like to see a real ray of hope because so far this is a 10-21 effort with no signs of change.
Of course it is. It was reasonable and fair. After 3 straight losing seasons under SF, everyone’s opinions have been altered a bit because not one person said this would happen. That is why eyebrows are raised and questions are starting to come, tough questions.

I shouldn’t feel ashamed to admit the reality of what I see every Saturday. Frost has done nothing to prove he was the home run hire we all thought he was. Thats a fact.

I shouldn’t feel ashamed to admit the reality of what I see every Saturday. Frost has done nothing to prove he was the home run hire we all thought he was. Thats a fact.

I wish that wasn’t the case because man I thought he was the one to resurrect our fallen program but he’s been a train wreck so far

Then I suppose they may as well pack it in and call it quits. What’s the point by your logic? No point at all, less the entertainment and some high paying jobs, and no one likes a constant loser.
I’m ok with 6-6 , 7-5. I’d be happy with that. Give Frost an extension if he can get to 7-5.

If you mean by saying turn around....get us to 500 ball. Then yes I think he can. The ceiling for us in this league is only slightly more than 500, year in year out. I don’t care who the coach is.
Funny we fired a guy that was above five hundred for three straight years in this league

Well, considering we are still seeing the same issues we saw in his first year, covid shortened schedule should not be an excuse for bad play. That is just my opinion, and I don't want Frost fired. If he does nothing at the end of the year, my confidence will drop dramatically!

Again, IMO, this should not be a free pass year.

We're all allowed to view this messed up season as we see fit.

If we were seeing most of the same 22 kids playing the majority of the minutes, I'd agree. The difference is we're playing youth and a lot of it. That can be great or it can be horrific. We're in the middle, most of the time and I like the idea that it gives a better group of athletes more time on the field in Scarlet and Cream. Especially throwing in the Covid/2020 season asterisk.

I don't know if I agree with the 'If he does nothing' sentiment either. By all accounts, Austin has not been the shinning star we thought he would be going into this fall. The youth we're seeing out there has to be taken into consideration. We parted company with Walters last year and Lubick hasn't exactly set the world on fire. We fire someone else this off season to give the impression that we're 'Upgrading' or 'Fixing a problem' and we're continuing a trend of staff instability that goes back too far and plays a role in Nebraska's struggles. If a guy needs to go because Frost says he's not cutting it, then cut him loose. We shouldn't sacrifice an assistant coach at the alter of fan disgruntlement. Ever. IMAO.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back