• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Eye Discipline/Reading Your Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok I understand your point that normally a player needs a full year at least to start understanding it unless he has a gift of football IQ (like David did). So what would you do as the first step to correcting the problem? I know you have talked about this in different ways on different threads, but I want to understand that there is a fix and how it might happen. Thanks.

Situations. You put them in tough spots in practice to see how they respond. Ive been focusing on Santos, and its not just him, but it was clearly obvious what a breakdown looks like against Minnesota with a TE wide ass open and him 10 steps behind.

As a coach, you have the scout team run what you deem is the worst scenerio for that play/call. You then run that play/call vs your worst case scenerio and see the outcome. You do that several times to see the players response. Does the guard peel all the way across the line to pick up the point LB coming allll the way over the top and blitzing on the complete other side of the line? And when you see the guard do that, you jump up and down, slap him on the ass and yell great job at the top of your lungs, because he just solved your worst case scenerio without you saying anything.

In Santos' defense, its not like he was getting beat on a draw play. It was a delayed drag route SOULY designed to put him in a bad spot. He widens out with the motion of the play, then the guy sneaks out from the line and runs the drag. That would be tough to cover. But after the first time, he needed to be aware of that and not widen when he has the middle third+. He has to be aware of where the hole is created. And thats on the coaches to know their weakness and trickle that down to the players to also be aware of it. Before the game, Im sure Minn didnt think they could pound the rock like they did, and came up with a gameplan to put guys in bad spots. They did exceptional at both unfortunately. But really Im of the belief that a player doesnt need a whole year. There is a learning curve, but I think a freshman can come in and in theory do well. 07' to 08' was a new scheme for the entire defense, and they all did pretty dang well. The improvement both visually and statistically was blatent. I just dont get how now its an issue, 6 years in with guys that sure, are young, but have been in the system at least a year or more. I dont know what the fix is. You could say more attention to the little details I guess. Or you just say we run a base cover 2, we rush 4 and we let them nickle and dime us because when it comes to man, we fail miserably.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back