• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Explaining Whipple

we're back

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Anyone want to offer an explanation for this choice? From all the comments I have read, it would seem hard to explain. Not a particularly good recruiter and more pass oriented than what is needed in the BIG.

Anyone want to offer an explanation for this choice? From all the comments I have read, it would seem hard to explain. Not a particularly good recruiter and more pass oriented than what is needed in the BIG.
The explanation would be:

Very experienced offensive coordinator who has shown success at the college level at multiple schools and has solid professional experience coaching QBs. His offense exploded this year, and he was able to develop Pitt's QB from a 3* recruit into a Heisman finalist. While he might not be a stellar recruiter, the Joseph hire was more likely the hire you make to build those recruiting connections and focus. Whipple shouldn't scare off recruits, though. In addition to Pickett's success this year, he has coached Roethlisberger and McCoy early in their NFL careers. His balanced play calling should allow both RBs and WRs to be excited about the opportunity to make an impact.

I'm not saying this makes it a good hire, but it is an explanation of why fans could/should be excited about the hire. I can also make a pretty good explanation why fans shouldn't be over the moon about it either.

The explanation would be:

Very experienced offensive coordinator who has shown success at the college level at multiple schools and has solid professional experience coaching QBs. His offense exploded this year, and he was able to develop Pitt's QB from a 3* recruit into a Heisman finalist. While he might not be a stellar recruiter, the Joseph hire was more likely the hire you make to build those recruiting connections and focus. Whipple shouldn't scare off recruits, though. In addition to Pickett's success this year, he has coached Roethlisberger and McCoy early in their NFL careers. His balanced play calling should allow both RBs and WRs to be excited about the opportunity to make an impact.

I'm not saying this makes it a good hire, but it is an explanation of why fans could/should be excited about the hire. I can also make a pretty good explanation why fans shouldn't be over the moon about it either.

So you're saying you both love and hate the hire? :)

So you're saying you both love and hate the hire? :)
I'm choosing to be indifferent, at this point. I knew we weren't going to bring in a splashy hire (honestly, this is even splashier than I expected), but I'll reserve any excitement for when I see results. Based on what little we've seen from Smothers, I don't think it is a great mesh, but if Haarberg is the guy or if we bring in a transfer, I might get a bit more excited about it.

Would also be nice if we could flip some of these big time Louisiana WR recruits that Joseph is after.

I'm choosing to be indifferent, at this point. I knew we weren't going to bring in a splashy hire (honestly, this is even splashier than I expected), but I'll reserve any excitement for when I see results. Based on what little we've seen from Smothers, I don't think it is a great mesh, but if Haarberg is the guy or if we bring in a transfer, I might get a bit more excited about it.

Would also be nice if we could flip some of these big time Louisiana WR recruits that Joseph is after.

Under different circumstances (like say, 2019), I would have loved someone like Willy Korn, or even Brent Davis to shake things up. I don't think Frost has the luxury of time at this point to do that, and Whipple seems like a solid hire.

This is exactly how I feel. No one can convince me this is a bad or good hire. This time I will wait until they show me. Honestly I can make an argument for and against this hire. No one here has a clue if it will succeed or fail. So I will just be indifferent.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back