• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Expectations and next season

What 3 instances of mound mismanagement most support your position?

I'm not a Silva hater, but I think he does have issues. Below are three issues I have seen.

1. Holding pitchers back in post season/tournaments (meaning saving them for a later game that never arises).

2. Consistently slow in pulling a struggling pitcher.

3. Ever putting Hood in a game this year.

I'm not a Silva hater, but I think he does have issues. Below are three issues I have seen.

1. Holding pitchers back in post season/tournaments (meaning saving them for a later game that never arises).

Hood is not very good.

Hood is not very good.

I think 2 and 3 are exact reasons this is a year we can't judge him on. We had such a short bullpen that you had minimal options to take a struggling pitcher out. Byron Hood we couldn't trust at all the first 2 years, making 12 starts in those first 2 seasons. Now all of a sudden in 2018 we needed him to make 14 appearances. Abrahamowicz, Schreiber, and Watson were true freshmen we had to run out there that went 4.88, 9.82, 11.81 ERAs in 30 appearances out of the bullpen. #2 couldn't have been an issue the past 3 years when we were top 20% ERA nationally, unless him getting a quicker hook would have resulted in top 10%. I would need examples of #1 as I don't remember that but you certainly could be right. I think a lot of people got mad that we started Meyers in game 3 a lot of times but forget he was playing in the field the 2 games of a series before that.

But Silva can't go without blame. The Alvarado experiment was a complete disaster. Your Friday starter to begin the year went 3-7 with close to a 5 ERA. Couple that with taking his .283 average out of the lineup, and that was awful. The Hohensee move seemed to work, but one has to wonder what would have happened with Hohensee Friday, Waldron Saturday, Alvarado/Warren Sunday's.

If we are able to keep our pitching recruits from getting drafted, Silva should be right back where we always are nationally with a top ERA.

Last edited:
I think 2 and 3 are exact reasons this is a year we can't judge him on. We had such a short bullpen that you had minimal options to take a struggling pitcher out. Byron Hood we couldn't trust at all the first 2 years, making 12 starts in those first 2 seasons. Now all of a sudden in 2018 we needed him to make 14 appearances. Abrahamowicz, Schreiber, and Watson were true freshmen we had to run out there that went 4.88, 9.82, 11.81 ERAs in 30 appearances out of the bullpen. #2 couldn't have been an issue the past 3 years when we were top 20% ERA nationally, unless him getting a quicker hook would have resulted in top 10%. I would need examples of #1 as I don't remember that but you certainly could be right. I think a lot of people got mad that we started Meyers in game 3 a lot of times but forget he was playing in the field the 2 games of a series before that.

But Silva can't go without blame. The Alvarado experiment was a complete disaster. Your Friday starter to begin the year went 3-7 with close to a 5 ERA. Couple that with taking his .283 average out of the lineup, and that was awful. The Hohensee move seemed to work, but one has to wonder what would have happened with Hohensee Friday, Waldron Saturday, Alvarado/Warren Sunday's.

If we are able to keep our pitching recruits from getting drafted, Silva should be right back where we always are nationally with a top ERA.

Interesting on Alvarado. If he goes in the draft last year, he probably gets a nice bonus, but he would have flamed out in a hurry in the minors. He comes back, flames out as a starter, has no leverage in the draft as a senior, and lost a year as a position player.

No win situation for him. Throwing him in as the Friday night guy was a bad idea, but maybe they had to promise him that to get him to come back.

NU is a youngish team, not a lot of scholarship space left. The end of next season will be a different story.

NU is a youngish team, not a lot of scholarship space left. The end of next season will be a different story.
Graduated 5 guys, brought in 9. Schreiber and Wilkening are big scholarship percentages, we will see what happens there with Jesse and the MLB draft. His injury may force him to come back for his senior year. Will not be surprised to see us part ways with certain guys.

Last edited:
Interesting on Alvarado. If he goes in the draft last year, he probably gets a nice bonus, but he would have flamed out in a hurry in the minors. He comes back, flames out as a starter, has no leverage in the draft as a senior, and lost a year as a position player.

No win situation for him. Throwing him in as the Friday night guy was a bad idea, but maybe they had to promise him that to get him to come back.

Agree with this. Maybe he wasn't coming back unless he was a SP (kind of what i recall). Hard to go against that when MLB teams are saying that is where his future lies.

Agree with this. Maybe he wasn't coming back unless he was a SP (kind of what i recall). Hard to go against that when MLB teams are saying that is where his future lies.
I believe MLB told him he didn’t have electric enough stuff to be a closer and would need to shift to starter. Basically like Hohensee not able to be a starter and shifting to closer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back