• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Everything was squared away for 10:30AM Sunday kick. Then Akron said they were headed to the airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
This clarifies a lot why the game is not being played today....

But there was a brief moment, after 10 p.m., that Hug and NU officials thought they’d be back for a Sunday morning kickoff.

That ticker crawl so many Husker fans saw on channel FS1 of their TVs — that Nebraska and Akron would resume their game at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, was not exactly a mistake. It’s what Hug said he and his people — inside the weather center — were hearing from the Big Ten, which was in contact with Fox Sports, the broadcaster of the game.

“We were talking to the conference office, the conference office was talking to Fox Sports about it, and there came back an announcement that, yes, we were going to play,” Hug said. “And then all of the sudden we get the other announcement that Akron came by and said, ‘There’s no game, we’re leaving.’ "

So NU announced the cancellation of the game at 10:28.

I sure hope there is a way around giving them the full pay out. Kinda crappy to say the least. Hopefully we take them off a list of teams to schedule in the future.

From what I can gather from the story, NU may never have talked to Akron officials about playing on Sunday. They were talking with B1G suits and Fox suits and Weather suits, but not Akron suits.

For lodging, Akron would probably have had to go to Omaha, Grand Island, or Kearney. And they likely would have had to split up over 2 or 3 nearby properties.

Not easy and not ideal, but certainly possible if you are committed to getting the game in and earning your 7-figure payout.

From what I can gather from the story, NU may never have talked to Akron officials about playing on Sunday. They were talking with B1G suits and Fox suits and Weather suits, but not Akron suits.

If true, that seems like a bit of an oversight to not include the opposing team in those conversations.

For lodging, Akron would probably have had to go to Omaha, Grand Island, or Kearney. And they likely would have had to split up over 2 or 3 nearby properties.

Not easy and not ideal, but certainly possible if you are committed to getting the game in and earning your 7-figure payout.
They stay in LaVista anyway I believe. But to your point, you have to book it again on Saturday that you don't already have booked and hope they have the room for a football team and their travelers.

Again, nearly impossible when you have to get two teams to agree, TV, conference, and other officials to all be on board. There's almost always going to be a "hung jury" unless you make the plans earlier than the day of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back