• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN Projecting us

So my doom-and-gloom 6-6 prediction is still better than ESPN?

200w.webp

50th and 5.5 wins to 6.5 losses. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/tab/fpi

I'm alright with these low projections. Just makes it feel better when they miss it so bad. They say our schedule is 29th but we play 4 teams in the top 12 and three of them are on the road. I guess they look at overall strength and factor in the really bad teams against the really tough ones.
This is not going to happen! They’ll still likely lose four or five games, but honestly, watching the team give up last year was painful. They didn’t lose eight games because they lacked talent. It felt more like the head coach was just going through nonsense. And the players didn’t seem to care anymore for him!

This is not going to happen! They’ll still likely lose four or five games, but honestly, watching the team give up last year was painful. They didn’t lose eight games because they lacked talent. It felt more like the head coach was just going through nonsense. And the players didn’t seem to care anymore for him!
I think it was Diaco they didn't care for anymore.

It will be interesting to see what fan expectations are after the spring game. I dont blame ESPN for the low expectations, but if they win less than 7 I will be disappointed. We have more talent than every team in our division and on our non-con schedule, and in my humble opinion, superior coaches. It wont change my feelings towards hiring Frost if they end up with 5 or 6 wins, but I have a very hard time believing that NU is going to go .500 with this staff pushing them.

This is the time of year that, even before the hiring of Scott Frost, Nebraska fans excessively consume Kool-Aid. This time last year, people were making some pretty bold predictions about how well the season would go, based on the good feelings left over from a reasonably successful 2016 campaign. Expectations were quickly dashed and we fell into the abyss.

People outside of the state have not consumed the Nebraska Springtime Kool-Aid. They aren't affected by the euphoria that exists in the state and all the excitement that came along with what appears to be a great coaching hire. They do see Frost as a great hire and one that will likely result in more success at Nebraska. But they don't expect or predict miracles the way the fan base does.

What the outsiders see is a team who is installing a new offense and doing so with a group of QBs with almost no collegiate experience. Two of the QB's were recruited specifically for their skills in running a different style of offense. They look at last year and see an O-line that was weak and slow. On the other side of the ball, they see a defense that was one of the worst in the nation and that struggled implementing their new 3-4 defense. They really didn't do anything well. They didn't get pressure on opposing QB's, they didn't cover well, and they didn't stop the run well. Now the defense is in year 2 of the 3-4 scheme, but I'm not sure if that means anything given the different approaches of Diaco and Chinander. Then there is next years schedule, especially the away games against top teams.

In short, there are some great challenges going into the first year of the Frost coaching tenure. But we aren't hiring coaching consultants. We are tackling in practice, so I hear. We are getting reports out of Winter conditioning that would suggest that the Winter wasn't wasted. We sold out a glorified practice with 90,000 fans. Excitement is contagious. These are very good signs that the program is moving in the right direction.

But don't expect people outside the state to jump on the band wagon and make bold positive predictions about the future of the team until the team erases the memories of what occurred here in 2017. The only way that can be done starts on the field this fall.

This is the time of year that, even before the hiring of Scott Frost, Nebraska fans excessively consume Kool-Aid. This time last year, people were making some pretty bold predictions about how well the season would go, based on the good feelings left over from a reasonably successful 2016 campaign. Expectations were quickly dashed and we fell into the abyss.

People outside of the state have not consumed the Nebraska Springtime Kool-Aid. They aren't affected by the euphoria that exists in the state and all the excitement that came along with what appears to be a great coaching hire. They do see Frost as a great hire and one that will likely result in more success at Nebraska. But they don't expect or predict miracles the way the fan base does.

What the outsiders see is a team who is installing a new offense and doing so with a group of QBs with almost no collegiate experience. Two of the QB's were recruited specifically for their skills in running a different style of offense. They look at last year and see an O-line that was weak and slow. On the other side of the ball, they see a defense that was one of the worst in the nation and that struggled implementing their new 3-4 defense. They really didn't do anything well. They didn't get pressure on opposing QB's, they didn't cover well, and they didn't stop the run well. Now the defense is in year 2 of the 3-4 scheme, but I'm not sure if that means anything given the different approaches of Diaco and Chinander. Then there is next years schedule, especially the away games against top teams.

In short, there are some great challenges going into the first year of the Frost coaching tenure. But we aren't hiring coaching consultants. We are tackling in practice, so I hear. We are getting reports out of Winter conditioning that would suggest that the Winter wasn't wasted. We sold out a glorified practice with 90,000 fans. Excitement is contagious. These are very good signs that the program is moving in the right direction.

But don't expect people outside the state to jump on the band wagon and make bold positive predictions about the future of the team until the team erases the memories of what occurred here in 2017. The only way that can be done starts on the field this fall.

I agree but what the people outside the state still don't realize ( same for people in-state this time last year) is how poorly the players where being trained, how much friction there was between HP, SE, MR staff and i here even the water guys/girls. Add to that poor line development and on and on.
In-State have now seen the light and also see the difference SF has brought in but beyond Husker faithful they just see a new coach.

Each new season gives the Huskers the opportunity to win every game. That is what makes it so exciting. This team may not win every game, but I think they will believe they can win every game.

My prediction is that the Husker players will determine their final record for 2018, not the ESPN pundits.

Last edited:

7-5 would be a really good season for us next year. New coach, new system, tough schedule... Give me 7-5 and a competitive team and I'll be happy next year. After that, my expectations will rise.

This is where I am at. I think Nebraska will be markedly better, but it is a tough schedule to think they will do better than 7-5 maybe 8-4. Which I think would be great seasons.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back