• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN on the State of the Program

A program, ANY program, is only limited by the resources the University is willing to commit. There is no shelf life on success.

Facts:
1. Nebraska has infrastructure that is comparable or better than most programs in college football.
2. Fan support at Nebraska is comparable or better than most programs in college football (although whether patience levels are negatively affecting player perspectives can be debated).
3. Nebraska has the same number of scholarship roster spots as every other team.

Arguable Opinions:
4. It gets cold in Nebraska; to what level that deters players can be debated.
5. Competition has caught up in facilities
6. Schedule has been getting increasingly difficult (B1G > B12 > B8).
7. Coaching carousel has been spinning at a high rate, contratry to the 'glory days' when coaches rarely changed.

Nebraska hadn't had a winning season in 6 years, and had been to one bowl game in the previous 22 years (a loss) before Bob Devaney took over and made it a winning program. And currently, Cincinnati and Memphis, far from blue-blood football programs, are in the top 25. I refuse to believe that the Huskers can't overcome their current challenges to once again become a relevant football program.

Facts:
1. Nebraska has infrastructure that is comparable or better than most programs in college football.
2. Fan support at Nebraska is comparable or better than most programs in college football (although whether patience levels are negatively affecting player perspectives can be debated).
3. Nebraska has the same number of scholarship roster spots as every other team.

Arguable Opinions:
4. It gets cold in Nebraska; to what level that deters players can be debated.
5. Competition has caught up in facilities
6. Schedule has been getting increasingly difficult (B1G > B12 > B8).
7. Coaching carousel has been spinning at a high rate, contratry to the 'glory days' when coaches rarely changed.

Everyone used to point to Minnesota being a powerhouse back in the nineteen-dickety-twos and then they crashed into oblivion. Boat Rower is proving that you can bring back a sleeping giant after decades of irrelevancy. No word on how long this new Minnesota will last, but they look GOOD this year.

Point is, Nebraska can get back to where we like. I don't know if we'll see another smashmouth run of 3 titles in 4 years (although Alabama did it), but I don't think it's impossible to have Nebraska playing at a level like Ohio State or Oklahoma, where we're in serious playoff consideration most years - and wind up making a run to the title game maybe once every 5-10 years. I would be solidly happy with consistent 10+ win seasons.

One minute we were flavor of the month, the next, a lost cause. Yet these are the same clowns gushing over the resurgence of Minnesota. It’s words from someone who only gets paid if they make you look, so why shouldn’t we expect they say something controversial? I’d also look at the writer and ask yourself, ‘am I browsing her site or articles for making my weekly picks’?

Honestly it is going to take time and patience to get back to 9 to 10 wins a year. This is not Oklahoma, Nebraska and the rest like the old Big 8. Occasionally Missouri or Colorado would rise up, I know. I have been watching the Huskers since 68. I watched Steve Owens run through them.

We can enjoy the past but it is past. I hope Scott Frost is our coach for many many years. Let's give him the time he needs. I know other teams look like they became so much better so much faster. Remember Alabama and Oklahoma 10 to 15 years ago? Scott will be given all he needs to succeed. Let's see how it plays out in the next 2 to 3 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back