• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN Football Analyst Walks Away, Disturbed by Brain Trauma on Field

I don't know this seems like one of those sour grapes things to me. With all of the layoffs we have seen at ESPN. He was one of the least favorite analysts. Maybe he knew he was not long for the booth and he is just using this as an excuse so he comes off looking like a hero rather than just another guy who got laid off.

Sorry I just do not believe people like this any more.

Good riddance. I'm supportive of efforts to limit TBI in football, but Cunningham took it to the level of religion. Guys like him take it too far and are killing the future of the sport by scaring parents into keeping their kids out of football.

I don't know this seems like one of those sour grapes things to me. With all of the layoffs we have seen at ESPN. He was one of the least favorite analysts. Maybe he knew he was not long for the booth and he is just using this as an excuse so he comes off looking like a hero rather than just another guy who got laid off.

Sorry I just do not believe people like this any more.
Might be knowing that the days of Politicing on ESPN have to end.

Sam McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 8m8 minutes ago
Ed Cunningham saved his final, fiercest criticism for Iowa's handling of QB CJ Beathard in the bowl game.
DIfXZTTVoAEYJrd.jpg

I found the penultimate paragraph particularly interesting.
"Among his ideas: No contact before high school. Limit the number of plays per game in which a player may participate, something like a pitch count in baseball. Tougher rules, and even in-helmet sensors, for players who dip their heads to tackle. And changes to substantially soften the exterior of football helmets, into something more like memory foam, to reduce the weight and its utility as a weapon."

Looks like I agree with Cunningham on something. These were ideas I examined for a major project for my Master's program. People thought my soft helmet idea was crazy, but people DO use the helmet as a weapon. Take that weapon away and you'll see people play differently.

I found the penultimate paragraph particularly interesting.
"Among his ideas: No contact before high school. Limit the number of plays per game in which a player may participate, something like a pitch count in baseball. Tougher rules, and even in-helmet sensors, for players who dip their heads to tackle. And changes to substantially soften the exterior of football helmets, into something more like memory foam, to reduce the weight and its utility as a weapon."

Looks like I agree with Cunningham on something. These were ideas I examined for a major project for my Master's program. People thought my soft helmet idea was crazy, but people DO use the helmet as a weapon. Take that weapon away and you'll see people play differently.

I've said for years that the #1 reason rugby has far fewer head issues than football is because rugby players don't wear helmets (sometimes soft padding, but never anything hard).

No one spears on purpose in rugby and no one tackles for the head on purpose. Yes it happens, but those are accidents. Take away football helmets and then enforce no head slaps like they did in the old days.

I respect his opinion and if that is how if feels, good for him. If he was smart enough he should have plenty of money to sit in Long Beach and drink cocktails until the sun sets.

I, however will not miss him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back