• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN Article: "Can Nebraska Save Year Two?"

I'm not too concerned about what happens the rest of this year because I've already factored in 2 and possibly 3 losses. Our play has been bad and 100 questions have emerged. Even a win or two won't really change what I think about this year. I'm basically waiting to see how the team does next year.

I worry less about three losses to end the year than about getting guys a look against the type of competition we have to face. The better recruits came to Nebraska exactly for this. Give them a taste. They need to know what they are up against. It will help them motivate towards the weight room.

I worry less about three losses to end the year than about getting guys a look against the type of competition we have to face. The better recruits came to Nebraska exactly for this. Give them a taste. They need to know what they are up against. It will help them motivate towards the weight room.
While I agree, you have to take into account we could still potentially reach a bowl game and that extra practice is desperately needed. While you want to get the young guys reps, you still need to put the best players on the field.

If NU wins 2 of 3 and goes bowling, I'd consider it a successful season all things considered. That would mean bowling for the first time since 2016, a non-losing season for the first time since 2015 and even better, the first win against either Iowa or Wisconsin since 2014.

If we beat Wisconsin tomorrow, it's damn near worthy of storming the field and taking the goal posts down. For those keeping score at home, if Nebraska loses tomorrow, that's 7 in a row - the second longest losing streak against a conference opponent in program history.

While I agree, you have to take into account we could still potentially reach a bowl game and that extra practice is desperately needed. While you want to get the young guys reps, you still need to put the best players on the field.
I think we still have better than a 50% chance of getting to a bowl. Certainly you need to win Saturday. But we cannot allow a desperate situation to sink the long term development of the team. If you keep up with the formula that got us five losses so far, I'm not sure going 0-3 doesn't amplify the damage to the core of the team. Reinforce the fabric of the team at some point, to demonstrate we aren't simply going through the motions here to end the season. Build something in the trust department now. Going 0-3 and winning over the team's trust is far more valuable than the bowl season.

I don't know that I've ever been so disappointed by a season. We all thought the team had turned the corner last season. The narrative of the 2018 team was one that found a way to win by the end of the season and got a hard-fought victory over a tough MSU team. Martinez was a pre-season Heisman candidate. Some pundits had Nebraska as a dark-horse playoff contender. And now we're staring down the barrel of a possible 4-8 season.

Having said that, I feel like making a bowl would show us a lot of resilience and give us some momentum going into recruiting.

If NU wins 2 of 3 and goes bowling, I'd consider it a successful season all things considered. That would mean bowling for the first time since 2016, a non-losing season for the first time since 2015 and even better, the first win against either Iowa or Wisconsin since 2014.
:Rolf:

Very unlikely. Even 3 losses fair chance. I miss bowls, any bowl.

If we beat Wisconsin tomorrow, it's damn near worthy of storming the field and taking the goal posts down. For those keeping score at home, if Nebraska loses tomorrow, that's 7 in a row - the second longest losing streak against a conference opponent in program history.
Oklahoma?

Maryland is a possible win, and Iowa is winnable also if we play well. But honestly I see Wisconsin bulldozing us this weekend.

Maryland is a possible win, and Iowa is winnable also if we play well. But honestly I see Wisconsin bulldozing us this weekend.

It's definitely not a great match-up for Nebraska. If we couldn't score against Minnesota, it's hard to imagine hanging the 4 or 5 TDs needed to have a chance against the Badgers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back