• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

ESPN 30 for 30: Catching Hell

McJack

Scout Team
15 Year Member
Just watched the Bartman documentary, excellent job by the producers, a great watch.

Really did a good job of not only breaking down that moment in time, but capturing how that "one" play - which wasn't in an of itself anywhere near what cost the cubs that game and series - but how it spiraled out of control after said play and became the rallying point for misplaced angst among cub fans. And equally important, the role the media played in making that so (even if unintentionally). A must see for baseball fans.

Last edited:

I wonder how many other fans wouldn't have done the same thing. It's probably practically a reflex reaction in that position. Also...imagine the dumb "luck"...there was another guy reaching for the ball that didn't get it. Imagine how different Bartman's life (and the other guy's) would be if the other guy was the one that prevented the cub guy from catching the ball. If I was that dude I'd sell my story for as much as humanly possible.

I wonder how many other fans wouldn't have done the same thing. It's probably practically a reflex reaction in that position. Also...imagine the dumb "luck"...there was another guy reaching for the ball that didn't get it. Imagine how different Bartman's life (and the other guy's) would be if the other guy was the one that prevented the cub guy from catching the ball. If I was that dude I'd sell my story for as much as humanly possible.

very true. it was close enough to that neutral zone that instinct almost takes over, especially when everyone around you is also jumping for the ball. I think the tipping point was alou throwing a tantrum and prior getting worked up that caused the crowd to come unglued and the team to lose focus and subsequently give up 8 runs in a half inning, oh and not to mention gonzalez kicking a routine double play.

If bartman was a hot chick instead of a dorky dude none of the hate would have happened.

Last edited:

Wayne Drehs is the ESPN writer from the doc who tried to get an interview with Bartman. He wrote a very long article on the other guy reaching for the ball - namely Pat Looney, a Chicago firefighter. To your point, he says he would have handled it a lot differently than Bartman and would have basically whored himself out lock, stock and barrel. He also responded to the press exactly the right way by saying "I'm not the guy you want to talk to. Go talk to Alex Gonzalez." Anyway, this is a great read on the "other guy."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=110927/PatLooney

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back