• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Elliot Porter snubbed by LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good plan for ol' Lester there...

We don't have room for another signee. If Heard doesn't make it, we are dead even on schollies for fall by my count after we added Baptiste and lost Harper.

Another take on Miles and mentions a few other coaches. Pretty tough to sit in a prospective recruit's living room and explain this to Mom and Dad.

"At LSU, Les Miles went grim reaper this year on three different someones -- none more appallingly than Elliott Porter. Porter is a freshman offensive lineman from Waggaman, La., who signed with LSU in February, qualified academically, reported to summer school in June and started taking classes. After two months as a member of the LSU football family, Porter was summoned last week from his dorm room to Les Miles' office to hear that he wasn't part of the family anymore. Sorry, son. You're out. The NCAA allows a team to add 25 scholarship freshmen, and LSU had gone over that limit. Someone had to go, and that someone was Elliott Porter. "

from http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...?tag=coverlist_footer;coverlist_photo_content

I feel for this kid.

Don't know what I would do if I were in his position. But I know on thing for sure, I would consider going elsewhere.

I feel for this kid.

Don't know what I would do if I were in his position. But I know on thing for sure, I would consider going elsewhere.
A gray shirt should never come as a surprise...

Essentially if the kid goes elsewhere, he has to sit out a season as a transfer unless the NCAA makes an exception on appeal; that is the biggest problem.

I do not agree that coaches should not be allowed to oversign. Some of the solutions are due to problems with NCAA rules and the difficulty in knowing who will qualify and if/when they will get through the clearinghouse.

That is a tough situation for both the player and the coach. Due to things beyond the coaches control if grades and NCAA clearinghouse issues I can see wjy coaches over sign. But if a coach is going to IMO he better make sure that the recruits that could be left out know in advance before accepting a LOI from them. Then if the recruit wants to take the chance so be it, but if they do not they have a chance to see what is still availble to them in Febuary.

That is a tough situation for both the player and the coach. Due to things beyond the coaches control if grades and NCAA clearinghouse issues I can see wjy coaches over sign. But if a coach is going to IMO he better make sure that the recruits that could be left out know in advance before accepting a LOI from them. Then if the recruit wants to take the chance so be it, but if they do not they have a chance to see what is still availble to them in Febuary.

What was really bad is the kid qualified, came to summer school to work out and enroll... this makes him a transfer... meaning he has to sit out a year (unless NCAA says he can play elsewhere)... At some point

The free option aspect of LOIs; scholarships, etc. are all in favor of the schools. In the past most coaches have not abused this, but if it starts happening too often, the whole process will be changed... That might be good, but history has been to make things worse for the players. Part of the reason coaches are doing this is less scholarships and tighter admission requirements. I think it is quite plausible that the NCAA has gone too far in both points.

I would hope that we stay to the undersigned model...

You cannot have a good walk-on program without awarding scholarships to walk-ons. I'd argue we should award 3 or 4 per year.

Here is why I think the NCAA regs have unintentionally contributed to the problem... they should allow much more in the way of summer programs/camps for evaluating talent (I noticed virtually every school had theirs at the same week... Is this per NCAA regs?)

6. Oversigning doesn't create a competitive advantage so what's the big deal.

This couldn't be any further from the truth, especially within the last several years. Over the last several years the ability for coaches to evaluate players has decreased; the NCAA continues to decrease the amount of contact coaches can have with players (mainly out of fear of recruiting violations) which is making it hard for them to evaluate talent. In addition, the NCAA continues to place more and more restrictions on the amount of time coaches can spend with players during spring and fall training camps and during the off season. The net result is college football has become less about developing talent and more about mining for the next "sure thing" 5 star recruit.

When you oversign you have access to more opportunities to find that "sure thing" whether it be from landing a 5 star recruit or taking a chance on a borderline guy who turns out to be a stud. It's a numbers game and obviously, given that most of the top tier schools can attract top tier talent, the more of it that you can go through to find the ones you really want the better you will be.

Nick Saban and Les Miles have used oversigning as the backbone of building National Championship teams over the last decade. If you look at the chart below and look at the number of players signed by Saban (who had the highest average) and Tressel (who had the lowest average), in the years that Saban was in college football he signed roughly 193 recruits; Tressel signed roughly 142 in those same years. That is a difference of 51 recruiting opportunities over the same period of time. Any change there might be a couple more good players in that list of 51? If the difference were 5-10 I don't think we could point at this being an issue, but 51?
Also... Tressel at 142 signees vs. Miles at193... I always liked Tressel...

Last edited:

I would hope that we stay to the undersigned model...

Well, we technically oversigned big this past year, starting out with a recruiting budget of something like 12 scholarships before fall camp and ending up with 22-23 signees, but some attrition was definitely expected in year 2.

We will find ourselves in a similar position next year with 12 JR's on the roster and no scholarships to speak of to give to walk-ons to normalize that number somewhat. We are sitting at +1 right now with Heard not making it. We can give that to a SR walk-on this year, but that's all we have barring any unforseen defections at this point.

Bo has done a fantastic job of rebuilding and managing the roster and position groups, but in the strict "oversigning" definition used by that website, he's also guilty of oversigning due to the roster mess he was left with....certainly not anywhere close to the extent that Nutt or Miles have in recent years. Our staff is very picky about the academic side of things, it seems, so we will not sign many players that are in danger of NQ. I don't feel that Bo has "oversigned" at all, but depending on what definition you go by, that's up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back