• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eleven warriors article on offense

If you're interested in breaking down the Xs and Os, check out Husker Chalk Talk.

Another fan-site, but I greatly appreciate the time he puts into it.

I absolutely respect and appreciate the gurus around here on HMax, but think RKay deserve a bit more love than he gets.

Last edited:

If you're interested in breaking down the Xs and Os, check out Husker Chalk Talk.

Another fan-site, but I greatly appreciate the time he puts into it.

I absolutely respect and appreciate the gurus around here on HMax, but think RKay deserve a bit more love than he gets.
It's pretty decent, but he's not working with a lot of resources that would make it a lot better. Who is he? I'm guessing that he's not being paid by any recognizable media service or A) he'd have better tools to work with, B) we'd know more about him, and C) he'd have done more stuff recently. If he's a free agent, I wish someone would sign him up, give him some game film and a Hudl account, and put him to work.

It's pretty decent, but he's not working with a lot of resources that would make it a lot better. Who is he? I'm guessing that he's not being paid by any recognizable media service or A) he'd have better tools to work with, B) we'd know more about him, and C) he'd have done more stuff recently. If he's a free agent, I wish someone would sign him up, give him some game film and a Hudl account, and put him to work.

He's just a fan. Don't know much else about him. Think he's actually a lawyer.

Last edited:
sounds like an idea that might sell some subscriptions to a strugling newspaper online. maybe a couple offensive and defensive plays broken down daily and some added context. maybe some recruits film also. but what do i know

He's kind of a douche, but his football analysis stuff is really good.
So... basically what some people think of me.
Image result for missed 3 pointer gif

I don't think the six figure salary goes with anymore - the way that guys cover sports is more a view into the gig economy that some people think is the new way to work. Sipple writes stories for the LJS, spends 2 hours a day on the radio, and gets occasional pickups by other websites and sports channels. I think if he was getting paid the way that lead writers were 10-20 years ago, he wouldn't be branching out at 55.

Having said that, what a great side gig for people with time. Getting/Making the time is the hard part probably. Thanks to those that spend their 'free' time trying to explain things to the unenlightened on the board like me.

I don't think the six figure salary goes with anymore - the way that guys cover sports is more a view into the gig economy that some people think is the new way to work. Sipple writes stories for the LJS, spends 2 hours a day on the radio, and gets occasional pickups by other websites and sports channels. I think if he was getting paid the way that lead writers were 10-20 years ago, he wouldn't be branching out at 55.

Having said that, what a great side gig for people with time. Getting/Making the time is the hard part probably. Thanks to those that spend their 'free' time trying to explain things to the unenlightened on the board like me.
For the Eleven Warriors article, besides knowing enough of background info to pick out those plays/series and having access to the film cutups and knowing enough to write what he did, I'd say that he probably knocked out that article in an evening as far as writing it up and dropping in the video links. It's good work, and I can't find any nits to pick out from what he said.

I completely agree that it's sad, but it goes even deeper than that. Do you know which website the Nebraska coaches recommended to high school coaches to get film cutups, analysis of the offense, play breakdowns, etc.? FishDuck. When Dustin Haines finished his presentation at the high school coaches' clinic this spring, I mentioned to him that I'd like to get some of the film cutups that he had. He pointed me to the FishDuck site. They'd even used some Oregon film to demonstrate some blocking calls. Nebraska, which is the most football rabid fanbase in America, has a truckload of media folks covering all rumors, gossip, recruiting news, locker room gossip--you name it--but it we want to find intelligent breakdowns of the offense that we run, well, then we need to either go to an Oregon fan's site or to an Ohio State media site for that.

This is absolutely in no way an insult towards @ShortSideOption, who has done a great job with the posts and threads that he's done that look at Nebraska's film, but it shouldn't fall onto the shoulders of a paid subscriber of a discussion board to do the heavy lifting when it comes to breaking down film and explaining Nebraska's offense and defense. Besides FishDuck's stuff--by the way, he's an investment adviser who started breaking down Chip Kelly's offense a decade ago because nobody in the media was doing it--you should check out what they have at Auburn or Clemson or any number of other team's media sites. Why is it that all of the various Nebraska media need a dozen+ people to travel to all of the football camps and repeat all of the same gossip, but can't hire a single football analyst who can break down film? I suspect that a lot of the "experts" who are writing about Nebraska aren't actually capable of doing it. If somebody wants to pay me to do it, I will, and I won't even need the 6-figure salary.

It isn't so hard if you have access to Hudl, which is (I assume) what they were using for all of those video clips with crib notes and spotlighted players, etc. Those videos are set up exactly how the better football coaching DVDs are now set up for installing an offensive series, etc., so I assume that the guy(s) who made it are coaches or former coaches, possibly former players who messed around with their own Hudl highlights a lot.

Without Hudl--as I have found out over the past year--it's a bear. You also need to have access to at least some of the team's game film. The sideline view followed by the endzone view of the same play, back-to-back, is pretty much standard now for how colleges and most larger high schools use Hudl to break down their game film.

I feel like James Earl Jones walking into the cornfield in Field of Dreams as I contemplate clicking on that fishduck link.
All that info....but I may never return (or at the very least accomplish nothing the rest of night)
Thanks for post!

I feel like James Earl Jones walking into the cornfield in Field of Dreams as I contemplate clicking on that fishduck link.
All that info....but I may never return (or at the very least accomplish nothing the rest of night)
Thanks for post!
It's even better/worse than you imagine.... The FishDuck site has all of the Chip Kelly stuff that Frost still does, but Frost also uses Malzahn's Buck Sweep from the Auburn site (along with some other stuff they break down), and there's some stuff from the Clemson site that is relevant, too. Put it all together, and it's multiple days of glorious analysis of Xs and Os with film cutups. They do a very good job of it, too, at all three sites. There are other sites out there that are also quite good, but I refuse to draw unnecessary attention to anything associated with those teams on principle. ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back