• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Eight blue-blood programs -- is Nebraska one of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funny ESPN is the one network that works hard at destroying blueblood programs. Look at their serious humping of Baylor and their ilk for the last few years and the constant din of we need a playoff, which has destroyed the bowl system.

Funny ESPN is the one network that works hard at destroying blueblood programs. Look at their serious humping of Baylor and their ilk for the last few years and the constant din of we need a playoff, which has destroyed the bowl system.
This paranoia was much more entertaining when Nebraska was winning conference titles 17 years ago. ESPN has no onus to promote blue blood programs, but they regularly do anyway.

The argument that the playoff has "destroyed" the slate of exhibition games that make up CFB's post season is even more absurd. There has never been more interest in CFB and the result of 95% of the bowls means exactly what it used to.

Its good we still have that Natl perception, but that is fast disappearing. Another 10 yr without a conf title or appearance in the football final four, and we will be a full generation (25-30 yr) removed from any serious football accomplishments, recruits parents will mostly have forgotten that Nebr used to be a name brand. Much like most of us in the 35-60 yr bracket now have forgotten about how Minn and Pitt and Army used to be a Name brand.

We dont want to be part of the past, we want to be the here and now.

Its good we still have that Natl perception, but that is fast disappearing. Another 10 yr without a conf title or appearance in the football final four, and we will be a full generation (25-30 yr) removed from any serious football accomplishments, recruits parents will mostly have forgotten that Nebr used to be a name brand. Much like most of us in the 35-60 yr bracket now have forgotten about how Minn and Pitt and Army used to be a Name brand.

We dont want to be part of the past, we want to be the here and now.

:thumbsup:

ESPN might have come up with this conclusion after seeing a thread on HuskerMax about 2 years ago that discussed and analyzed this topic in detail. :thumbsup:

:MaxRules:

They are quicker than that...they would have figured it out in 16 months.

I find it interesting that the programs kind of have obvious ties for the most part. OSU-Mich Tex-OU USC-ND (rivalry game for a long time) But Bama and NU have no one...maybe we need to schedule them as a rivalry game. Kick off each year with Bama in Lincoln, Atlanta, heck, we might even be able to visit them at their house?

They are quicker than that...they would have figured it out in 16 months.

I find it interesting that the programs kind of have obvious ties for the most part. OSU-Mich Tex-OU USC-ND (rivalry game for a long time) But Bama and NU have no one...maybe we need to schedule them as a rivalry game. Kick off each year with Bama in Lincoln, Atlanta, heck, we might even be able to visit them at their house?

If you just look at the Top Ten teams in BOTH total wins AND winning percentage, you'll get those eight plus Tennessee and Penn State, which conveniently pulls teams into neat little two- or three-way rivalries:

• Notre Dame-USC
  • Alabama-Tennessee
  • Ohio State-Michigan-Penn State
  • Nebraska-Oklahoma-Texas
Penn State is a bit of an outlier since they made the bulk of their success pre-Big Ten. Likewise, Nebraska gets lumped primarily with Oklahoma, but toss Texas in there as well.

Honestly, if every season was just games against those other 9 teams plus a couple Mountain West teams, I'd be a happy man. If you want to be the best, beat the best.
latest

This paranoia was much more entertaining when Nebraska was winning conference titles 17 years ago. ESPN has no onus to promote blue blood programs, but they regularly do anyway.

The argument that the playoff has "destroyed" the slate of exhibition games that make up CFB's post season is even more absurd. There has never been more interest in CFB and the result of 95% of the bowls means exactly what it used to.
Keep on drinking the koolaide Mort I wouldn't expect much more from you. I feel pity for you if you don't see the truth.

Keep on drinking the koolaide Mort I wouldn't expect much more from you. I feel pity for you if you don't see the truth.
What's the truth exactly then? The playoff has destroyed the bowl system? Seriously? You mean the bowl system that is seemingly always adding a new bowl each year with one ridiculous name after another just so the NCAA could make more money? You mean the bowl system that is pretty much an example of the "everyone gets a medal" sports culture in today's society? Or the one where it seemed like almost every single year there was some sort of controversy in the final rankings or bowl selections? I think that without a doubt, in most years, the playoff system will select the 4 best teams to play for the national championship. There will always be some discussion on 4th team to be selected, but the top 3 will almost always be the legit top 3 teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back