• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Effects of Moving KO TBs to the 25 yard line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
I think everyone guessed that the rule change that moved KO touchbacks to the 25-yard line would have an effect on the game. Today I looked at the degree to which that rule change has affected the game.

I used data from all drives from all games from 2005-present. I compared the averages of drives beginning with a KO and starting at the 20 yard line in 2005-2011 to drives beginning with KO and starting at the 25 yard line in 2012.

I looked at the following statistics sub-divided into how the drive ended (turnover on downs, end of half, FG, fumble, INT, missed FG, punt, safety, TD, and total)

Average number of plays per drive
Average TOP per drive
Average number of yards per drive
Number of drives reaching the red zone (subdivided into yes/no)

ave number of plays.JPG

In 2012 the average drive was 5.89 plays, a decrease of 1% from the previous average. One thing I found particularly interesting is that the average number of plays in drives that ended in INTs decreased by 6%. This might indicate that coaches feel more comfortable with the extra five-yard cushion between them and the goal line and are willing to pass more closer to their opponents' end zone. The average number of plays of TD drives decreased by 4% as well.

Average TOP per drive

ave top.JPG

The average time of possession in 2012 on touchback drives decreased 7% over the previous average. The TOP of drives ending in INTs decreased 16% and the TOP of drives ending in a safety decreased and astounding 84% despite the drives starting 5 yards further from the endzone. The across-the-board decreases in TOP of drives is likely caused by more than just the drive starting location. I can only hazard a guess but it could be that the 'hurry up" offense has become more common in recent years, which would manifest itself here.

ave number of yards.JPG

The average number of yards per drive was the least surprising to me. Although the aggregate average length of drives actually increased by 1%, this is easily accounted for in the increase in yards given up by safeties. In actuality, the decrease in TD drive lengths of 7% (5 yards) is closely mirrored in the length of drives ending in turnover on downs, FGs, and missed FGs.

Number of drives reaching the red zone

red zone.JPG

To me, the most important insight from this analysis comes from this statistic. While the overall number of drives reaching the red zone increased by only 4%, the percent change from 20% to 24% is 17%. This merits further analysis, as it could account for a significant change in scoring offense and offer some insight into perceived declines in defense. Based on this alone, there should be a corresponding increase in points scored in the red zone.

Summary

By moving the kickoff location to the 40, which increases touchbacks; and the touchback location to the 25, the NCAA has caused a number of expected and unexpected results. The most significant is the dramatic increase in drives reaching the red zone.

I think everyone guessed that the rule change that moved KO touchbacks to the 25-yard line would have an effect on the game. Today I looked at the degree to which that rule change has affected the game.

I used data from all drives from all games from 2005-present. I compared the averages of drives beginning with a KO and starting at the 20 yard line in 2005-2011 to drives beginning with KO and starting at the 25 yard line in 2012.

I looked at the following statistics sub-divided into how the drive ended (turnover on downs, end of half, FG, fumble, INT, missed FG, punt, safety, TD, and total)

Average TOP per drive
Number of drives reaching the red zone (subdivided into yes/no)

View attachment 4271

In 2012 the average drive was 5.89 plays, a decrease of 1% from the previous average. One thing I found particularly interesting is that the average number of plays in drives that ended in INTs decreased by 6%. This might indicate that coaches feel more comfortable with the extra five-yard cushion between them and the goal line and are willing to pass more closer to their opponents' end zone. The average number of plays of TD drives decreased by 4% as well.

Average TOP per drive

View attachment 4272

The average time of possession in 2012 on touchback drives decreased 7% over the previous average. The TOP of drives ending in INTs decreased 16% and the TOP of drives ending in a safety decreased and astounding 84% despite the drives starting 5 yards further from the endzone. The across-the-board decreases in TOP of drives is likely caused by more than just the drive starting location. I can only hazard a guess but it could be that the 'hurry up" offense has become more common in recent years, which would manifest itself here.

View attachment 4273

The average number of yards per drive was the least surprising to me. Although the aggregate average length of drives actually increased by 1%, this is easily accounted for in the increase in yards given up by safeties. In actuality, the decrease in TD drive lengths of 7% (5 yards) is closely mirrored in the length of drives ending in turnover on downs, FGs, and missed FGs.

Number of drives reaching the red zone

View attachment 4274

To me, the most important insight from this analysis comes from this statistic. While the overall number of drives reaching the red zone increased by only 4%, the percent change from 20% to 24% is 17%. This merits further analysis, as it could account for a significant change in scoring offense and offer some insight into perceived declines in defense. Based on this alone, there should be a corresponding increase in points scored in the red zone.

Summary

By moving the kickoff location to the 40, which increases touchbacks; and the touchback location to the 25, the NCAA has caused a number of expected and unexpected results. The most significant is the dramatic increase in drives reaching the red zone.

Interesting...if you get a chance....try to find out if there was any significant reduction in injuries on kick-off plays...as that was the intent in which the rule was changed.

Interesting...if you get a chance....try to find out if there was any significant reduction in injuries on kick-off plays...as that was the intent in which the rule was changed.

I have yet to find a good source of data for injuries. Too many HPAA concern I think.

Are you using all games or just NU games for this? I wonder if there are enough data points from one season for true analysis. The differences, especially in things like interceptions, may fall into the category where you see a correlation, but not necessarily causation.

All games. For 2005-2012 that's about 155,000 drives...roughly 30,000 of which started with a kickoff.

Neat analysis. Thanks for this!

I suspect there's a correlation between this and the record scoring pace for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back