• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Eero/Luma home networking thoughts

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Eero and Luma are a couple of newer home networking solutions. Basically, they are wireless routers that are generally sold in a 3-pack. The idea is to give full wireless coverage in a home with devices that aren't as ugly or cumbersome as traditional routers and range extending devices.

An Eero 3-pack retails for $499, and a similar Luma setup is $399. The Luma just started shipping supposedly, but is still listed as a pre order item on Amazon.

I have a 1600ac wireless router, but it really doesn't offer the kind of coverage I'd like in my house, so I'm considering one of these setups. Anyone have any experience with these yet?

Not enough of an upside for me. Not enough Ethernet ports. I run as much wire as I can for speed. Can't do any of the advanced router features you can do on say the Ea9200. Which easily covers all three floors of my home with only one range extender and I got that for a wifi sprinkler system that's in the farthest corner of my garage that had a low signal.

Not enough of an upside for me. Not enough Ethernet ports. I run as much wire as I can for speed. Can't do any of the advanced router features you can do on say the Ea9200. Which easily covers all three floors of my home with only one range extender and I got that for a wifi sprinkler system that's in the farthest corner of my garage that had a low signal.

I think that the Luma offers quite a bit in the way of configuration options (more than the Eero, I believe). What kinds of things are you doing with your Linksys that you would be missing on one of these?

I could upgrade my router, I suppose, but I still wonder if I'll get the kind of whole house coverage I want. It's not like I'm using a turd right now.

I fully agree with you on wiring what I can. I'm very happy my new house is wired (tvs, desktops, even laptops), but I tend to use my phone and tablet more than anything else.

I'm terribly impatient with internet connectivity. The hiccups with WiFi probably don't bother people as much as it bothers me. Pet peeve, I suppose.

I think that the Luma offers quite a bit in the way of configuration options (more than the Eero, I believe). What kinds of things are you doing with your Linksys that you would be missing on one of these?

I could upgrade my router, I suppose, but I still wonder if I'll get the kind of whole house coverage I want. It's not like I'm using a turd right now.

I fully agree with you on wiring what I can. I'm very happy my new house is wired (tvs, desktops, even laptops), but I tend to use my phone and tablet more than anything else.

I'm terribly impatient with internet connectivity. The hiccups with WiFi probably don't bother people as much as it bothers me. Pet peeve, I suppose.
I'm the same way. Checkout CNETs review on it.

I suspect it's a pet peeve for tons of people.... I know it drives me nutty....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back