• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Edge-rusher and Former No. 1 Overall CFB Recruit Jaelan Phillips to transfer from UCLA

If he truly believe THUG U is the place for him I doubt he would fit in SF's program....

BS. We needs some thugs on defense just like Frost had when he was QB.
BS back at ya...... totally disagree. I don't believe we need thugs to build a winning program at Nebraska. Those type players usually jeopardize the entire program imo. We could revisit the various scandals Thug U has gone through but most already know them. Not something I EVER want Nebraska to emulate.

Last edited:
BS back at ya...... totally disagree. I don't believe we need thugs to build a winning program at Nebraska. Those type players usually jepordize the entire program imo. We could revisit the various scandals Thug U has gone through but most already know them. Not something I EVER want Nebraska to emulate.
LOL.

BS back at ya...... totally disagree. I don't believe we need thugs to build a winning program at Nebraska. Those type players usually jeopardize the entire program imo. We could revisit the various scandals Thug U has gone through but most already know them. Not something I EVER want Nebraska to emulate.

I'm sure you understand that we have had our share of some pretty nasty, even thuggish players in some of our more successful years. There were plenty of guys you knew were trouble the second they walked into a bar or a party. The difference was they weren't running in front of a camera and proudly showing their thug attitude, or acting like fools on the football field, but don't believe for a minute there weren't thugs in our program.

Last edited:
I'm sure you understand that we have had our share of some pretty nasty, even thuggish players in some of our more successful years. There were plenty of guys you knew were trouble the second they walked into a bar or a party. The difference was they weren't running in front of a camera and proudly showing their thug attitude, or acting like fools on the football field, but don't believe for a minute there weren't thugs in our program.

It's a tough sport and I don't think you can have a successful team without at least a little bit of nasty. While I certainly don't condone openly illegal or criminal behaviors, the 'thuggish' mentality is what can make a good team great or a great team dominant.

Nasty... sure no problem! There is however a difference between being a nasty player and acting like thugs which is how the Canes got their well deserved reputation. No question we've had some "thugish" players over the years but they were the minority imo. Not so with the Canes as they glory in criminal behavior imo. I define "thugs" from my law enforcement POV which is not something I want associated with Nebraska football. Here's some info on what Miami teams have been all about..........

The Canes have yet to land the death penalty, and are all part of recent history, though an already infamous history. From the Catholics vs. Convicts game to its present predicament, Miami has a troubled past.

1. During the Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson eras of Miami football, the team was known for guns, drugs, and other violations. The players were criminals off the field. Athletic Director Paul Dee, who heads the NCAA infractions committee, allegedly hid drug testing results from Erickson so players could avoid suspension. Furthermore, the Canes were convicted of Pell Grant fraud which provided money to players and their families. This landed Miami on probation for its actions in the 1980's.

The Hurricanes program has the challenge of dealing with a similar environment as the Trojans, living in a city where glitz and glamour are the norm. Though hamstrung by sanctions, Butch Davis was able to keep a Miami program alive despite its disarray. It's questionable whether Davis was cheating though, after his recent ouster at North Carolina for extensive violations between players and agents.

Everybody is aware of Miami's current situation which could land it the death penalty, as numerous players have been named in a scandal which dates back to 2002. That scandal involved paying over a million dollars to Miami football players, including $50,000 to NFL athlete Vince Wilfork.
  1. I don't believe Nebraska wants ANY of this type of behavior associated with Nebraska football? Allowing "thugs" on teams usually leads to many other problems associated with such imo. Tough, hard and even a few nasty players are fine but I draw the line at welcoming THUGS at DONU. I'd be surprised if our fans would really welcome "thugs" to Lincoln.

Last edited:
We had a guy that had a bullet stuck in his butt playing for us because removing it might lead to an arrest (or so went the rumor).

We had a guy that was the ward of a state that constantly got into fights with people.

TO hid a gun once!

I was on campus during the 90's run, we had some serious thugs. You need some thugs to win consistently. You need those people that are scary af and will push the other players because no one wants to face them after practice/game when you were lazy.

We had a guy that had a bullet stuck in his butt playing for us because removing it might lead to an arrest (or so went the rumor).

We had a guy that was the ward of a state that constantly got into fights with people.

TO hid a gun once!

I was on campus during the 90's run, we had some serious thugs. You need some thugs to win consistently. You need those people that are scary af and will push the other players because no one wants to face them after practice/game when you were lazy.
Well I respect your opinion just disagree with it....... As 29 year retired state cop I don't like "thugs" and hope SF minimizes them on any of his teams.

Last edited:
We need more clarification on the definition of "Thug". I'm pretty sure REDo was not referring to dangerous criminals....

Suh was a nasty, borderline dirty playing "Thug" on the field, wasn't he?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back