• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Early Observations

Redleg

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Quite a few positives from this weekend. Baylor has solid bats top to bottom and NU ran them out of the stadium in game 1, played them to extra innings in game 2, then let game 3 slip away with unearned runs. Some cleanup to do but some good things to build on.

Some other observations:
1- OF is pretty solid with Mojo, Joe, and AP.
2- Middle infield is solid. Not sure diagnosis of Hallmark but he was still limping badly today. 2nd is still solid with Chick or even Gilin.
3- need a true third baseman. Multiple errors from guys who aren't third basemen (Chick, Gilin). Roskam looked decent there, but don't think he can move full time unless we have another catcher ready to step up to spell Gunner.
4- DH- Didn't get much production from the DH this weekend.
5- need more length at first base. Roseberry played pretty well, but need Boynton's length as a bigger target.

I liked Boynton at DH today to give him a shot. Ultimately, I would like to see him develop defensively to be able to play 1B and have Roseberry DH.

Too early for me to even offer much real thoughts on our pitching. Some good, some not so much, but its early and early season arms plus early season jitters can be tough to read. I thought Stroh and Povich showed pretty well for their 1st outings of the year.

Scrappy team with upside. Should be fun to watch this year.

Yes, thanks for writing up your thoughts. I'm a fan, i.e., eternally optimistic, so despite the 1-2 weekend, I too found a lot to like. I'll cite Max Schreiber for one, guts there. Cade Povich start was pretty OK too. Also, on the offensive side, didn't "feel" as many Ks as recent early season games, though the Sunday DPs were crushing. That's baseball, though, how many did their star Nick Loftin roll into? Three maybe? Aaron Palensky, for the most part, has great ABs and I do believe that the "Bolt Way" will be disciplined without overthinking things too much for all the guys. Should be a fun team and competitive throughout the schedule. How nice not to start with the absolute beatdowns from Oregon State where we lost before getting off the bus. Something tells me this team won't roll over, sure they'll lose a few, even ones we should probably win but, as you say, scrappy with upside. GBR!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back