• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dylan Raiola

Status
Not open for further replies.

I tend to think Kirby Smart and staff aren't presenting a program where recruits won't be coached at least as hard as Rhule and staff.

Kirby Smart is a world class coach, I agree.

But Rhule is a unique dude. He really seems to be looking for angles with his recruits and their physical/mental makeup. He strikes me as a lot more picky than most coaches. Obviously 5* kids are going to be everyone’s choice, but he’s made NFL players out of plenty of prospects that “experts” call average. I don’t think there’s a discernible difference between most 3* and 4* players. 5*? Sure. But for the vast majority of prospects, it’s about fit, development, and proven transfers.

I've felt the same for 20 years. It is what it is.

It was always scuzzy. No doubt.

I think the real time social media coverage of the entire process makes it seem even more gross. Of course I come from the era where you got letters from coaches, or phone calls. If you were good enough, they'd show up at your school.

Whether he comes to NU or not, Dylan's doing what he's supposed to be doing - figuring out what he thinks is best for him. It is and should be a very important decision in his life. I absolutely wish him the best in making it. And the rest of the high ranked kids too.

I'm also down with Rhule building this thing incrementally, grinding it out. That's what we were in for anyway, and considering what we - including the people we let manage our program into the ground - deserve, it's kind of the right way for us to go.

Nothing against Dylan whatsoever, but I think it's easy to worry too much about one kid or group of kids. That's on us is if we do. True, getting the right QB to commit is sometimes what gets a program to the top, but that's easier and more impactful when you are already high functioning.

Would I take Dylan? Sure, in a second. But I'm also more than ok if we don't have to crown any one kid as a program savior when the story finally gets told. I'd just as soon it be about 50 kids, well coached, playing at their absolute best, pulling it up over time. And about quality coaches who know how to build something over time, including selling the opportunity to come here to the next Tommie Frazier in a few years, when that's what we need next.

I don't know if Dylan needs to tell us as soon as we're not in the running or not. He can do whatever he's supposed to do for the position he's in, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a grown up and a fan of a school that's been there and done ALL that. I can handle it

I will be happy when he decides though, so we can put this drama we're mostly putting on ourselves behind us.

Last edited:

It's a fair question, that I don't think we can answer since we don't know any of the young men involved. At least I don't.

You're going for 'Shock and Awe' and can't dedicate enough one on one time with each kid. Some will likely enjoy the experience and being around other top 100 type players and others might feel like they were lost in the flood so to speak. Honestly, if a kid comes in a group like that and his concern is the amount of attention he's getting, that might not be a good sign.

I for one applaud Rhule for going after the top of the list players. Previous staffs going back to Pelini seemed to take the stance that those kids weren't interested and were a waste of time. I like the 'You don't know if you don't ask' approach Rhule is taking. Bring 'em all in and work your butt off trying to get them interested.

I gotta be honest, I like what I've seen. So far.
But at the same time these were unofficial visits, they aren’t supposed to wow the guys, just show people around and how things are done. Official visits are where the school puts the money down to wow them

Two things to watch for here with Raiola moving forward.

First, does he schedule an OV to Nebraska? I'd assume it'd be during a Friday Night Lights Camp in June. That way he could interact with the coaches in a practice setting as much as being able to see them operate during a practice like he did last Saturday.

Second, does Rhule see him immediately in May during the evaluation period like he did in January? Does he send his entire staff again? If not, really start to worry.
Nah, don't worry. Just move on and support whoever is taking snaps this fall. Most of the ultra-talented recruits want to go to programs that will likely be in the College Football Playoffs - big bowl games with tons of media coverage. Nebraska will hopefully go to a bowl game this year for the first time in many years. Even a lower tier bowl with a half-full stadium would be a step in the right direction. That's not much of a pull. If Coach Rhule has this team back to being decently ranked and a force to be reckoned with in a couple of years, we'll obviously be more attractive. Shoot, even in Nebraska's glory days we weren't pulling in 5-star recruits. Didn't need them either. Coaching is king.

I actually feel better about our chances with this prediction change. It was so early to be calling him to Nebraska, I felt like it actually hurt our chances.

But at the same time these were unofficial visits, they aren’t supposed to wow the guys, just show people around and how things are done. Official visits are where the school puts the money down to wow them
Again, we don’t know how many it was. Maybe it was just one, or two. Knowing they can only take a select number of OVs, perhaps they expected to be more wowed so that Nebraska would become one. Regardless, you can’t please everyone. There are some who will make return trips and others who won’t. Can’t get ‘em all.

Last edited:
Dominic and his brother talk - there’s absolutely ZERO chance that Donovan doesn’t have the inside scoop on what’s going on, and he’s not relaying that to Rhule. If Nebraska is still after him, it’s because Dominic is telling him they’re still in the running. If Nebraska starts targeting another QB, it’s because Donovan was tipped off from Bro that’s it’s now a 1 horse or 2 horse race, and we didn’t make the cut.

Dominic and his brother talk - there’s absolutely ZERO chance that Donovan doesn’t have the inside scoop on what’s going on, and he’s not relaying that to Rhule. If Nebraska is still after him, it’s because Dominic is telling him they’re still in the running. If Nebraska starts targeting another QB, it’s because Donovan was tipped off from Bro that’s it’s now a 1 horse or 2 horse race, and we didn’t make the cut.
Yup, I think the whole coaching staff following that QB that plays for the same team as the twins we are after might be in preparation for the transfers we are going to see this year. My guess is at least two scholarship QBs transfer or in the case of HH change positions.

Whether he comes to NU or not, Dylan's doing what he's supposed to be doing - figuring out what he thinks is best for him. It is and should be a very important decision in his life. I absolutely wish him the best in making it. And the rest of the high ranked kids too.

I'm also down with Rhule building this thing incrementally, grinding it out. That's what we were in for anyway, and considering what we - including the people we let manage our program into the ground - deserve, it's kind of the right way for us to go.

Nothing against Dylan whatsoever, but I think it's easy to worry too much about one kid or group of kids. That's on us is if we do. True, getting the right QB to commit is sometimes what gets a program to the top, but that's easier and more impactful when you are already high functioning.

Would I take Dylan? Sure, in a second. But I'm also more than ok if we don't have to crown any one kid as a program savior when the story finally gets told. I'd just as soon it be about 50 kids, well coached, playing at their absolute best, pulling it up over time. And about quality coaches who know how to build something over time, including selling the opportunity to come here to the next Tommie Frazier in a few years, when that's what we need next.

I don't know if Dylan needs to tell us as soon as we're not in the running or not. He can do whatever he's supposed to do for the position he's in, as far as I'm concerned. I'm a grown up and a fan of a school that's been there and done ALL that. I can handle it

I will be happy when he decides though, so we can put this drama we're mostly putting on ourselves behind us.
THIS!

Great family and because of that likely a great kid. It would be great to get Raiola #3 but we've been very fortunate to have 2 in the program thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back