• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dylan Kautz

@ShortSideOption beat me to it, but, yes, USD is a D-1 school now.

I went to college there in the 90s, and there were a lot of students at that time from Nebraska, but that number has really jumped through the roof since then. They built a bridge across the Missouri right beside Vermillion in the late 90s, which saved some people a couple hours of driving if they lived straight south of Vermillion. Also, while South Dakota's tuition has risen over the past few decades, it hasn't risen nearly as much as Nebraska's. A recent student of mine is finishing up her undergrad at UNL this year, and I about had a coronary when I saw how much she was paying out of state. When I looked into it (this was four years ago), the in-state tuition for UNL was just slightly less than the out-of-state tuition for Nebraska kids to go to USD. If a Nebraska student lives closer to Vermillion than Lincoln, it's probably cheaper when you factor in housing, travel, parking, etc.

But Vermillion. Your argument is invalid.

And the Cherry St. Grill closed.

@ShortSideOption beat me to it, but, yes, USD is a D-1 school now.

I went to college there in the 90s, and there were a lot of students at that time from Nebraska, but that number has really jumped through the roof since then. They built a bridge across the Missouri right beside Vermillion in the late 90s, which saved some people a couple hours of driving if they lived straight south of Vermillion. Also, while South Dakota's tuition has risen over the past few decades, it hasn't risen nearly as much as Nebraska's. A recent student of mine is finishing up her undergrad at UNL this year, and I about had a coronary when I saw how much she was paying out of state. When I looked into it (this was four years ago), the in-state tuition for UNL was just slightly less than the out-of-state tuition for Nebraska kids to go to USD. If a Nebraska student lives closer to Vermillion than Lincoln, it's probably cheaper when you factor in housing, travel, parking, etc.

The bridge makes a big difference. Also, now USD tuition for undergrads from Nebraska is the same as resident tuition.

https://www.usd.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees

The bridge makes a big difference. Also, now USD tuition for undergrads from Nebraska is the same as resident tuition.

https://www.usd.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees
I was wondering if SD gave Nebraska kids in-state tuition.....My kid is looking at South Dakota School Of Mines and Technology in Rapid City for their Electronic Engineering program and my wife said he would pay the same as a South Dakota resident.

bummer, was hoping he'd walk on & quickly earn a scholie .... congrats DK, pulling for you!

I was wondering if SD gave Nebraska kids in-state tuition.....My kid is looking at South Dakota School Of Mines and Technology in Rapid City for their Electronic Engineering program and my wife said he would pay the same as a South Dakota resident.
They might. I'm not sure, but you WANT your son to go there. Do a Google of best engineering schools and watch what pops up. Forbes has had articles in the past talking about how ridiculously cheap a degree is from SDSM&T, even though their alum earn more than Harvard engineers, etc. If they offer the program, they have as close to 100% placement in that field as is imaginable. Their civil engineering and the computer-related tech engineering stuff is off the charts as far as placement and immediate earning potential.

Fwiw, it's also a very hard school. Their introductory writing and lit classes flunk A LOT of kids who don't know how to read (analytically) and write, and don't want to work enough to improve. I have no connections to the school beyond having former students go there, and (briefly) looking into some adjunct teaching positions there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back