• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dylan Kautz

So, if anyone with a legal degree wants to go to the NCAA website and fart around in the bylaws 15.5 etc. I am pretty sure the ones that say Kautz can come to Lincoln on a track scholarship and walk on and play football, as long as he only practices and doesn't 'earn the right to compete in a contest' would NOT count as a football scholarship, but once he DOES earn the right to compete in an actual football contest, he would then be a 'scholarship football' athlete.

If I read that right.
That's correct. The second you play you have to go on football scholarship, but you can be on track scholarship until that point.

I think Kautz is a way better football player than Kenzo Cotton. I think my issue is, just like with Kenzo Cotton, you have people thinking Kautz needs to be offered due to his speed. The former Omaha Central coach that made it one year there was trying to blow up Pelini for not offering, stating how you can't have that kind of speed in the state and not offer. The problem is, Cotton was basically just sitting out the football season waiting for track to come around. Kautz at least has some football film to validate a walk-on offer.

The real problem is Kautz is moving down classes in football to a very poor class and will have a D1 lineman blocking for him. Watch the numbers he puts up this year.
Is Norfolk Catholic moving down in class? I thought I heard dropping to C-2 but they won’t drop to D-1. Also, having played at Pierce, they will still play mostly C-1 teams like we did when we were a B team my 1st 2 years until we went back to C-1 my Jr year.

Last edited:
Is Norfolk Catholic moving down in class? I thought I heard dropping to C-2 but they won’t drop to D-1. Also, having played at Pierce, they will still play mostly C-1 teams like we did when we were a B team my 1st 2 years until we went back to C-1 my Jr year.
Yep, they dropped down to C-2 after winning state in C-1 last year. They are playing all C-2 teams except Pierce this year. C-2 is a real drop down, as it has a lot of teams that should be playing 8man but are too prideful and stay C-2 to be 11-man. That being said, Aquinas, Hartington CC, Ponca, maybe BRLD are all decent.

They would win C-1 again this year but I think this is more of a future move as they lose quite a bit after this year. But they will win C-2 this year.

Pierce is the only C-1 team that Norfolk Catholic will play this fall in football. The rest of their schedule is all C-2.

08/24/18 @ Pierce C1 0-0 - - -
08/31/18 Aquinas Catholic C2 0-0 - - -
09/07/18 St. Paul C2 0-0 - - -
09/14/18 @ BRLD C2 0-0 - - -
09/21/18 Crofton C2 0-0 - - -
09/28/18 @ Hartington Cedar Catholic C2 0-0 - - -
10/05/18 Battle Creek C2 0-0 - - -
10/12/18 @ Stanton C2 0-0 - - -
10/19/18 @ Ponca C2 0-0 - - -

That's correct. The second you play you have to go on football scholarship, but you can be on track scholarship until that point.

One of the articles I read was talking about going to school and competing in swimming and water polo. If you go to school on a water polo scholarship and then decide to swim you are now on a swimming scholarship. Wow, does the NCAA have all situations covered or what? :confused:

One of the articles I read was talking about going to school and competing in swimming and water polo. If you go to school on a water polo scholarship and then decide to swim you are now on a swimming scholarship. Wow, does the NCAA have all situations covered or what? :confused:

There must be some pecking order for all NCAA sanctioned sports. All I can figure out for sure is that football and men's basketball are always the sports that the multisport athlete's scholarship counts against... Assuming he gets on the field/court in at least one game.

It probably needs to be that way or else the Alabama type programs would use all of their tennis, golf, and swimming scholarship on "multisport athletes" who happen to be really good at football. Heck, maybe NU would do that too if the rules allowed.

Last edited:
Yep, they dropped down to C-2 after winning state in C-1 last year. They are playing all C-2 teams except Pierce this year. C-2 is a real drop down, as it has a lot of teams that should be playing 8man but are too prideful and stay C-2 to be 11-man. That being said, Aquinas, Hartington CC, Ponca, maybe BRLD are all decent.

They would win C-1 again this year but I think this is more of a future move as they lose quite a bit after this year. But they will win C-2 this year.
Yeah, I hear you. We played NC every year though we weren’t in the same conference back then. I’m frankly shocked they can’t maintain the student numbers to stay in C-1 as they dominate there. If they maintain where they have been the last 2 decades, they will very rarely lose a game.

Pierce is the only C-1 team that Norfolk Catholic will play this fall in football. The rest of their schedule is all C-2.

They will never lose again......unless Pierce gets them.

Yeah, I hear you. We played NC every year though we weren’t in the same conference back then. I’m frankly shocked they can’t maintain the student numbers to stay in C-1 as they dominate there. If they maintain where they have been the last 2 decades, they will very rarely lose a game.
I believe they had the very top number of students for C-2. However, I think this is a futures move as they are taking a step back after this year.

So, if anyone with a legal degree wants to go to the NCAA website and fart around in the bylaws 15.5 etc. I am pretty sure the ones that say Kautz can come to Lincoln on a track scholarship and walk on and play football, as long as he only practices and doesn't 'earn the right to compete in a contest' would NOT count as a football scholarship, but once he DOES earn the right to compete in an actual football contest, he would then be a 'scholarship football' athlete.

If I read that right.

Track & Field (and cross country) have only 12.6 scholarships to hand out total, so most of the people on Pepin's teams are on partial scholarship (or walk-ons). Football is a head count sport which means there are only full scholarships, no partials. I was thinking that may be a way to differentiate, but reading "the bylaws" they make no distinction. So even if he is on a partial track scholarship, as soon as he plays a down in football, he upgrades to a full scholarship in football.

I guess that makes sense, otherwise schools would game the system to give their preferred walk-ons at least a partial scholarship in a non-revenue sport, like track & field or wrestling.

He isn't a RB in this offense, he might be a Duck R guy. The plane fact is that he is pretty small guy. I think Woodhead has a couple of inches on him. If he was 5'10 he would be getting some serious looks he is closer to 5'6"

:Biggrin:

I take it the trend in Ne. is the rural areas continue to dwindle in population.
Sad, but true. Some talk about a Marshall Plan for Central America as a way to lessen illegal immigration but what we need is a Marshall Plan for Rural America. Dirk’s series touches on the challenges presented by depopulation.

Sad, but true. Some talk about a Marshall Plan for Central America as a way to lessen illegal immigration but what we need is a Marshall Plan for Rural America. Dirk’s series touches on the challenges presented by depopulation.
Overall population has climbed by 5% since 2010 in Nebraska. It may become more concentrated in areas like Lincoln and Omaha. That is as much a side effect of less workers needed in Agriculture as it is people fleeing. People go where jobs go. Mechanization can be a double edged sword.

Overall population has climbed by 5% since 2010 in Nebraska. It may become more concentrated in areas like Lincoln and Omaha. That is as much a side effect of less workers needed in Agriculture as it is people fleeing. People go where jobs go. Mechanization can be a double edged sword.

The people in the country have just disappeared over the last 25-30 years. I don’t, however, think that is Norfolk Catholic’s problem. Norfolk is a good town with some really good jobs. Stuff happens with new people running things, particularly at an expensive private school when there’s a free school across town.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back