• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dylan Kautz

Dylan Kautz = Kenzo Cotton?
I think Kautz is a way better football player than Kenzo Cotton. I think my issue is, just like with Kenzo Cotton, you have people thinking Kautz needs to be offered due to his speed. The former Omaha Central coach that made it one year there was trying to blow up Pelini for not offering, stating how you can't have that kind of speed in the state and not offer. The problem is, Cotton was basically just sitting out the football season waiting for track to come around. Kautz at least has some football film to validate a walk-on offer.

The real problem is Kautz is moving down classes in football to a very poor class and will have a D1 lineman blocking for him. Watch the numbers he puts up this year.

Last edited:

I don't think he can be on a track scholarship and still walk on for football, without it counting as a football scholarship. You'd probably end up with some 300 pound linemen on the golf team.

I believe it is fine. If he plays a down of football, the track scholarship goes away and then he is in football scholarship. At least that is my understanding.[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding of the rule as well.

I'm all for a preferred walk-on offer for Kautz whenever the staff gets around to making those.

Hard to see a scholarship offer to play RB given the three RBs we currently have committed and some others who seem to have interest in NU.

I'm all for a preferred walk-on offer for Kautz whenever the staff gets around to making those.

Hard to see a scholarship offer to play RB given the three RBs we currently have committed and some others who seem to have interest in NU.

He isn't a RB in this offense, he might be a Duck R guy. The plane fact is that he is pretty small guy. I think Woodhead has a couple of inches on him. If he was 5'10 he would be getting some serious looks he is closer to 5'6"

In my own uneducated opinion, the reason for limited offers is due to his running style. In the clips I've seen of him, he runs a little like Joe Ganz (very upright and stiff). Although he possesses great straight line speed, he doesn't have much flexibility, balance or shiftiness. JMYO

I believe it is fine. If he plays a down of football, the track scholarship goes away and then he is in football scholarship. At least that is my understanding.

That's my understanding of the rule as well.[/QUOTE]

That doesn’t make sense. We’ve had a ton of two sport athletes, including the Davis twins currently.

I’ve read Dylan has a Gopher greyshirt offer, but not even a preferred walk-on offer from the Huskers. Anyone know why? Legit 4.4 speed and 2400 yards rushing last year - I think he’d be a fit in this offense. I get why you may not given him as schollie given his size and competition but surprised Held and ScoFro wouldn’t at least make a preferred walk-on offer. He could be the next Danny Woodhead.

I feel pretty confident right now that any player of note is on the coaching staff’s radar. If they haven’t made a move on this guy, there’s some legitimate reason for it. It won’t be out of arrogance or shortsightedness, I’m pretty sure.

And in a couple years, after we’ve repaired the local relationships - have rebuilt trust - and we’re running the hottest show on Broadway - the local coaches will be working hard to sell their players to SF.

That's my understanding of the rule as well.

That doesn’t make sense. We’ve had a ton of two sport athletes, including the Davis twins currently.[/QUOTE]
The Davis twins are on football scholarships and they jump over to compete in track in the spring. The track coach is hoping that as Frost brings in more speedy skill guys, they will jump over and compete in sprints.

[/QUOTE]
That doesn’t make sense. We’ve had a ton of two sport athletes, including the Davis twins currently.[/QUOTE]

Right, and the Davis twins count against the Football scholarship limit, not the Track scholarship limit. They are effectively walkons to the track team. And that would be true even if they had come here under a Track scholarship originally, as soon as they played one down (in a game) of football.

So two-sport athletes who play one revenue sport (i.e. football and basketball) and one nonrevenue sport (e g. track, baseball, tennis) always count against the revenue sport's scholarship limit as soon they appear in a game.

I'm not sure what happens if someone plays both football and basketball or plays two nonrevenue sports.

Last edited:
I hear ya, he is certainly track fast. Only a few guys that could out-run him at state this year. If he wants the walk-on opportunity, they will give that to him all day. We just haven't sent any out yet.

His best bet is taking the Nebraska track scholarship then walking on to the football program in my opinion.
I forgot who it was about last year or maybe year before. At that time they said that if a kid accepted a schollie for another sport. Then walks on with football. it would count against football once he plays his first game. Now if he never plays but only practices it never matters.

So, if anyone with a legal degree wants to go to the NCAA website and fart around in the bylaws 15.5 etc. I am pretty sure the ones that say Kautz can come to Lincoln on a track scholarship and walk on and play football, as long as he only practices and doesn't 'earn the right to compete in a contest' would NOT count as a football scholarship, but once he DOES earn the right to compete in an actual football contest, he would then be a 'scholarship football' athlete.

If I read that right.

Attachments

• Scholarship.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 93

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back