• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dublin Ireland Trip

You're really just guessing about "could very well disrupt the progress." I think you're looking for a negative angle -- with no evidence that a negative angle is applicable.

But at least you do have a built-in excuse if we do struggle early in the season. You can now blame it on playing across the pond. I'll instead suggest it's because Frost isn't a good coach. Of course, winning will put all of that to rest.

Anyhow, it's really not worthy of our debate. The game is on the schedule to be played in Dublin.

I don't even think it needs to get to that part of the argument about Frost, etc. It's a great opportunity for these players to experience something most will never get a chance to ever again. They do DESERVE it because they've put in a ton of hard work. Win/loss record is irrelevant to that part of the discussion involving the players.
You and I (and probably most here) are happy they get that opportunity.

I’m not going because I hate to fly and have ZERO desire to travel there. I have to have a very strong desire to ever board an airplane, and this damn sure isn’t it.
Other way, your car and then ship.

images

Builder, Ireland shipyard :eek:

Last edited:
I don't even think it needs to get to that part of the argument about Frost, etc. It's a great opportunity for these players to experience something most will never get a chance to ever again. They do DESERVE it because they've put in a ton of hard work. Win/loss record is irrelevant to that part of the discussion involving the players.
You and I (and probably most here) are happy they get that opportunity.

My point being -- if we struggle early in the season, I don't buy for a second that it will be due to playing in Ireland instead of Evanston. I was addressing that, as HIO suggested otherwise.

My point being -- if we struggle early in the season, I don't buy for a second that it will be due to playing in Ireland instead of Evanston. I was addressing that, as HIO suggested otherwise.

I agree. It's not an ideal situation to start off the season, but NW has to make the same trip.
More importantly, I hope everyone going has an amazing experience.

I would rather play them in Ireland than Evanston.

What I don't like is playing them as the first game. Fitzgerald will have them ready and we will still be a work in progress in trying to sort out starting teams and getting the players to know each other in game conditions.

What I don't like is playing them as the first game. Fitzgerald will have them ready and we will still be a work in progress in trying to sort out starting teams and getting the players to know each other in game conditions.
Google search result .....

What is the origin of the name Fitzgerald?
Irish: Anglo-Norman French patronymic from the personal name Gerald (see Garrett). The name was formed by the addition of the Anglo-Norman French prefix fi(t)z 'son of' (Latin filius) to the personal name. The Gaelicized form Mac Gearailt is common in the Gaelic-speaking areas of West Kerry.

Last edited:
Patrick Fitzgerald, and his brother Gerald Fitzpatrick.

Oh.......wait.

Sorry.

For the program, I see your point. For the players on the team, who make this whole thing possible in the first place, this is an awesome experience for them. Maybe think about that.
I would be curious about how players feel about this trip? I never liked the idea of this especially with Russia having had warships close to Ireland recently. There are jet lag issues for travelers from Europe to US, I read its worse going east to west as they cross several time zones. Maybe not too big an issue as they play weak team following week. I just don't see any benefits from this but my opinion doesn't matter

And he might come out in an unexpected front on defense. He is defensive guru like Bielema!

I would be curious about how players feel about this trip? I never liked the idea of this especially with Russia having had warships close to Ireland recently. There are jet lag issues for travelers from Europe to US, I read its worse going east to west as they cross several time zones. Maybe not too big an issue as they play weak team following week. I just don't see any benefits from this but my opinion doesn't matter

I hope they take advantage of it and see and do a lot of really cool things. Memories like that are amazing.

Who decides if the players deserve a game in Ireland? I don't think it's about deserving or not. I'll assume the players work hard. And they definitely make plenty of sacrifices with their free time. Life isn't only about football (the trip isn't either).

Also, the game will have plenty of exposure to recruits. There's not many games that day -- and Nebraska vs Northwestern is the only game involving two P5 schools.
Ok. Bottom line, I just think it’s silly and a total waste of money. Ireland doesn’t care about football, other than it’s something different. If these were pro teams, I might feel differently, but most in Ireland don’t even know where Nebraska or Northwestern are.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back