• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Drake Martinez moving to Tailback at MSU

He will, in all likelihood, be a non-factor, at least initially....from the article, "And, senior Delton Williams is listed as the starter at fullback as well as No. 4 at tailback behind co-starters LJ Scott, Madre London and Gerald Holmes." So he would be, at the best, #5 behind 3 other tailbacks and a fullback...but maybe he will surprise them and move up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dantonio said LB Drake Martinez had good all-around talent and great speed, and will be tried at tailback this spring.</p>&mdash; Spartan Football (@MSU_Football) <a href="https://twitter.com/MSU_Football/status/712007939524063232">March 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dantonio said LB Drake Martinez had good all-around talent and great speed, and will be tried at tailback this spring.</p>— Spartan Football (@MSU_Football) <a href="https://twitter.com/MSU_Football/status/712007939524063232">March 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like a great athlete who can't settle into a position just yet. I thought he would be a great safety but maybe RB is his calling. It will be interesting to watch. Sure wish he would have stayed N but can't blame him at all for transferring.

I get the impression that he falls into that "athlete" category with great measurable, but is a bit of a 'tweener with his actual skills. Hence, may be finding it hard to be really good at 1 particular position. I don't think he was ever QB material and had no ambitions to be a QB, but I think that he was equally talented as a RB and a Safety, and it was a matter of who was recruiting him for what position. May have had trouble bulking up enough to be a good LB, and I can't say if he ever had a LB mentality/instincts. Maybe a bit like Nate Gerry in that regard.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back