• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
There are still 5 games left. Not trying to be unrealistic, but what if by some tiny chance (I won't call it a miracle) NU upsets Wisconsin and ends the year 7-5. Would we be ok with 7-5 and finally beating Wisconsin? I think most fans, if they're being honest, would be ok with it.

I will say this for about the 5th time. Everyone is just really pissed about how the team played against Minnesota. There are just mad. I don't think there is any other way to describe it. Nebraska played pretty bad against Minnesota their is no getting around it. Minnesota also played really well, no one seems to be giving Minnesota any credit for that. Everyone is really mad about the defense in this game, but if the offense is playing as well as last year. The defense really isn't a problem.

Everyone is also pissed because they think Frost sold them a bill of goods. He was too optimistic about how good this team was going to be. I think Frost has learned a valuable lesson. Bravado is great in private, but keep it to yourself in public.

I think they were counting on a lot of things coming to fruition this year that just haven't.
I think they expected the O-line to gel together and be serviceable.
I think they expected a couple of WR to step up and really become players
I think they expected Mills to come on to the team and pick up where Ozigbo left off.
I think they expected to have a very solid kicking game with a returning kicker.
I think they expected Martinez to take a big step forward in leading the offense.

I am hoping the figure out a few things offensively before Indiana comes to town. I think the defense will be OK if the offense can generate some points.

Can you do a summary? Hard to listen at work and I'll forget later.

Nothing to eye opening. He basically said it takes time and you have to be patient. He said a lot of things that lots of people on this board say. The B1G is a physical linemen league and you need a lot of depth to compete. He said the teams beat each other up week in and week out. It takes time to build that depth.

Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin have been doing it the same way for a very long time and they develop their talent the same way all the time. They recruit to their system.

He basically said things that Nebraska fans don't want to hear. We aren't known as a patient bunch. :Biggrin:

I am not disagreeing with you but if its not that bad what do you attribute to the current teams performance? Talent, coaching, culture or all of the above? Is the S& A where it should be or headed in right direction? I trust your judgement.
It's hard to pinpoint just one thing:

1) OL Farmer and Foster are huge losses. Starting a new center that has never played OL. Gaylord getting a season ending knee injury to not afford us the ability to move Farniok to guard without burning Benharts redshirt.
2) Our injuries are an issue. Would be nice to have your Rivals top 150 ILB Nick Henrich to help a struggling ILB crew. He had offers from LSU and Florida so you would think he could help.
3) I think our team looks worse in space than they did last year. I also hate that Henrich, Wright, Hickman, Jones, Smith, Jones, Thompkins, Rogers, Honas, and Wildeman had injuries in their first 6 months in our S&C program that were major injuries stunting development. I am super happy that Frost has a S&C coach he believes in, we haven't had a coach and S&C lock-step in quite some time. But our best space players offensively are the guys not lifting that much (Washington and Robinson). And our LBs appear to be worse in space this year. Best defensive player is a guy that spent all summer rehabbing and doing his own workouts.
4) I think scheme is ok offensively we just look awful. I think our scheme has looked good defensively at times (Northern Illinois, Northwestern, South Alabama), but what is happening against Minnesota and Ohio State? Really don't know.

My biggest question truly is after spring practices in 2018 (where he got to see what he was working with and how the team was taking to the coaching and S&C) he came with "we are going to be really dangerous in 2019." What made us go off course there?

An excellent list of talent that Bo inherited and our 2009 team supports. Frost didn't inherit anything like the talent that was on that 2009 team which had a 1, 2 or 3 nationally ranked defense. I also believe we have enough talent where we shouldn't be getting boat raced by a team like Minnestoa!

I believe we may have an assisant coaching deficit compared to many Big 10 teams. Which coaches have extensive (or any) Big 10 coaching experience? Many of our assistant coaches are OJT'ing and it shows in many areas imo. Now all those coaches are on HCSF's plate as he bought the entire staff from UCF. Was that really a good idea? In some ways it was and other ways not so good.

No arguement about needing more talent especially at certain key positions but there's more going on then simply a talent deficit. Great football teams start with great coaching and that must apply to the entire coaching staff. As example in 2016 according to NFL Research, Brady took 20 hits in the AFC championship game, including four sacks. Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reviewed the game tape and believes Brady was hit a whopping 25 times. Immediately after that game DeGuglielmo the offensive line coach was fired and Dante Scarnecchia brought back from retirement. The next 2 years the Pats were back in the SB winning 1 of 2 and Brady had a clean uniform once again! The difference in the offensive line imo was CLEARLY coaching and making all the right moves.

I believe HCSF needs to critically evaulate all our position coaches at the end of this season. Where we are lacking then changes need to be made imo. BC sunk himself with continued employment of Coz and refused to make a change. I'm just not sold on several of our coaches and believe that some changes are probably needed.

CT, you and I are usually on the exact same page for everything football. But in this case, I disagree with your assistant coach assessment timeline. I think they should all receive at least one more season before HCSF considers cutting anyone loose.

The Minnesota game was rough. But, I’m in a statistical analysis class right now, and based on what I’ve learned, there are not enough data points yet for this season to be able to reach a conclusion. That game may have been a statistical anomaly. We won’t know until season end.

Can you do a summary? Hard to listen at work and I'll forget later.
In a nutshell, the move to the BIGTEN was a bigger change in physicality and culture than many want to admit. DEPTH and CONSISTENCY are key. We haven't had either for a long time. It's going to take time for Frost to build it.

CT, you and I are usually on the exact same page for everything football. But in this case, I disagree with your assistant coach assessment timeline. I think they should all receive at least one more season before HCSF considers cutting anyone loose.

The Minnesota game was rough. But, I’m in a statistical analysis class right now, and based on what I’ve learned, there are not enough data points yet for this season to be able to reach a conclusion. That game may have been a statistical anomaly. We won’t know until season end.
Not going to disagree with your assessment of WHEN or IF changes might become necessary to the coaching staff. I admit my disappointment was greatly exacerbated by that Minnesota game! :mad:. However this is the 2nd year and it appears the offensive line as actually regressed? I realize we had some offensive lineman graduating but gosh we simply looked totally inept the entire game? If it's indeed an anomaly it should become apparent in the next several games imo.

Frost will succeed or not based in no small part because of his coaching staff. Obviously he a pretty smart guy but sometimes even smart people have their judgement clouded because of friendships. I hope that's not the case and our coaching staff can "coach up" these 3 and 4 star players. We all desperately want Big Red to succeed and yes it's going to take more time then many thought including myself. If however we don't see some improvements after next season then HCSF is going to need make some tough decisions.

Can we stop with the "this staff doesn't have Big 10 experience" stuff? The Big 10 isn't some magical football world that can't be figured out unless you have experience. Urban Meyer didn't have Big 10 coaching experience when he took the OSU job, and I'd say he did ok.
I really don't want to go down this road again with you but this staff doesn't have Power 5 coaching experience, some are learning new positions, many lack any experience, and they came from a conference that didn't play much defense. Under any other head coach, this would be picked apart much more than it is currently.

I really don't want to go down this road again with you but this staff doesn't have Power 5 coaching experience, some are learning new positions, many lack any experience, and they came from a conference that didn't play much defense. Under any other head coach, this would be picked apart much more than it is currently.

At the end of the day, it's still football. And considering they went 13-0 in their last season, beating an almighty SEC school (Power 5), I don't think it would or should be picked apart all that much.

I will say this for about the 5th time. Everyone is just really pissed about how the team played against Minnesota. There are just mad. I don't think there is any other way to describe it. Nebraska played pretty bad against Minnesota their is no getting around it. Minnesota also played really well, no one seems to be giving Minnesota any credit for that. Everyone is really mad about the defense in this game, but if the offense is playing as well as last year. The defense really isn't a problem.

Everyone is also pissed because they think Frost sold them a bill of goods. He was too optimistic about how good this team was going to be. I think Frost has learned a valuable lesson. Bravado is great in private, but keep it to yourself in public.

I think they were counting on a lot of things coming to fruition this year that just haven't.
I think they expected the O-line to gel together and be serviceable.
I think they expected a couple of WR to step up and really become players
I think they expected Mills to come on to the team and pick up where Ozigbo left off.
I think they expected to have a very solid kicking game with a returning kicker.
I think they expected Martinez to take a big step forward in leading the offense.

I am hoping the figure out a few things offensively before Indiana comes to town. I think the defense will be OK if the offense can generate some points.

To take your thought a bit further, I think in hindsight everyone is pissed about how we've played all year. South Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Ohio St. Northwestern, and now Minnesota. Every game aside from Northern Illinois we've underachieved and bumbled our way through 4 quarters, even in the games we managed to win. Instead of seeing progress we are regressing from last year by a large margin.

I will say this for about the 5th time. Everyone is just really pissed about how the team played against Minnesota. There are just mad. I don't think there is any other way to describe it. Nebraska played pretty bad against Minnesota their is no getting around it.

For what it's worth, and as 1stand10 said above, I'm not too happy about the way they played against S. Alabama, Colorado, Northwestern, and Ohio State either.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back