• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
I think part of the culture problem is not so much that it stems from the previous staff, but that the soft culture has worked its way into the high school ranks in certain areas of the country and getting to a program run by guys like Frost and staff can be somewhat of an eye opener for these kids. I don't know, maybe I'm way off on this, but just a thought.

Troy McClure had more talent than anyone

C

Do you think BP inherited a tougher situation? He’d been there a few years earlier. He inherited good talent.
I do. Pelini was here in 2003 and then came back to a completely different Lincoln in 2008. It was actually quite crazy what Pedersen and Callahan turned it into. Pedersen wanted to distance himself from 90s Nebraska to make a name for himself and Callahan wanted an NFL factory throwing tradition out the window. Absolutely insane. If you go back to when Osborne took over as Interim AD, go read some of his quotes. "There was such division in the program", "i've never seen Nebraska football look like this", they are eerily similar to Frost and what he is saying now.

To your last sentence, absolutely he did.

I do. Pelini was here in 2003 and then came back to a completely different Lincoln in 2008. It was actually quite crazy what Pedersen and Callahan turned it into. Pedersen wanted to distance himself from 90s Nebraska to make a name for himself and Callahan wanted an NFL factory throwing tradition out the window. Absolutely insane. If you go back to when Osborne took over as Interim AD, go read some of his quotes. "There was such division in the program", "i've never seen Nebraska football look like this", they are eerily similar to Frost and what he is saying now.

But wouldn't it stand to reason that if ten years ago the program was in bad shape behind the scenes... it would be even further off the rails when Moos came in and had to piece it back together? It seems like it's going to take the new facilities upgrade and who knows what else to get back up to speed. Unless Moos has been working miracles to make up for the last ten plus years.

The other factor that must make it even harder today is we're now another ten years removed from Nebraska as a national contender. It's got to be tougher and tougher every year to recruit kids to Lincoln. We're at the point now where they're all born years after our last conference championship, let alone the national titles. :Bananalazy:

Last edited:

Considering Callahan's recruits, including Prince Amukamara, Roy Helu, Alex Henery, Niles Paul, Eric Hagg, Matt Slauson, Ndamukong freaking Suh, and others who played in the NFL... I think what Pelini took over in 2008 was considerably different from what Frost got in 2018. There's no comparison. Riley never got anything like Callahan's 2005 recruiting class, and most of his best recruits quit or transferred to Oregon State. Frost has been dealt a much, much worse hand than Pelini in 2008.
An excellent list of talent that Bo inherited and our 2009 team supports. Frost didn't inherit anything like the talent that was on that 2009 team which had a 1, 2 or 3 nationally ranked defense. I also believe we have enough talent where we shouldn't be getting boat raced by a team like Minnestoa!

I believe we may have an assisant coaching deficit compared to many Big 10 teams. Which coaches have extensive (or any) Big 10 coaching experience? Many of our assistant coaches are OJT'ing and it shows in many areas imo. Now all those coaches are on HCSF's plate as he bought the entire staff from UCF. Was that really a good idea? In some ways it was and other ways not so good.

No arguement about needing more talent especially at certain key positions but there's more going on then simply a talent deficit. Great football teams start with great coaching and that must apply to the entire coaching staff. As example in 2016 according to NFL Research, Brady took 20 hits in the AFC championship game, including four sacks. Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald reviewed the game tape and believes Brady was hit a whopping 25 times. Immediately after that game DeGuglielmo the offensive line coach was fired and Dante Scarnecchia brought back from retirement. The next 2 years the Pats were back in the SB winning 1 of 2 and Brady had a clean uniform once again! The difference in the offensive line imo was CLEARLY coaching and making all the right moves.

I believe HCSF needs to critically evaulate all our position coaches at the end of this season. Where we are lacking then changes need to be made imo. BC sunk himself with continued employment of Coz and refused to make a change. I'm just not sold on several of our coaches and believe that some changes are probably needed.

But wouldn't it stand to reason that if ten years ago the program was in bad shape behind the scenes... it would be even further off the rails when Moos came in and had to piece it back together? It seems like it's going to take the new facilities upgrade and who knows what else to get back up to speed. Unless Moos has been working miracles to make up for the last ten plus years.

The other factor that must make it even harder today is we're now another ten years removed from Nebraska as a national contender. It's got to be tougher and tougher every year to recruit kids to Lincoln. We're at the point now where they're all born years after our last conference championship, let alone the national titles. :Bananalazy:
I suppose that would be the case if someone is of the opinion Osborne and Pelini came in and for the 5 years Osborne was here and 7 Pelini was here, they let it stay that way. My opinion is that Osborne actually did a great job trying to put the pieces back together. Getting old traditional pieces back up in the stadium, allowing players to have access again, etc.

But you are right, kids we are recruiting now, Nebraska hasn’t won a conference title since they’ve been born. Honestly we really haven’t been relevant. But the counter to that is Frost has a recruiting support staff as well as social media now that Pelini didn’t have. So there are definitely positives for Nebraska now as opposed to a decade ago as well.

Can we stop with the "this staff doesn't have Big 10 experience" stuff? The Big 10 isn't some magical football world that can't be figured out unless you have experience. Urban Meyer didn't have Big 10 coaching experience when he took the OSU job, and I'd say he did ok.
No, but he had SEC experience. There is most certainly a difference between Power 5 schools and the 2nd tier programs.

Can we stop with the "this staff doesn't have Big 10 experience" stuff? The Big 10 isn't some magical football world that can't be figured out unless you have experience. Urban Meyer didn't have Big 10 coaching experience when he took the OSU job, and I'd say he did ok.
No, but he had SEC experience. There is most certainly a difference between Power 5 schools and the 2nd tier programs.
Did he have SEC experience when he went to Florida and won a national title year 2? ;)

But it's still football. Yes, the AAC isn't the Big 10. But it's all relative because they were beating AAC teams with an AAC roster, not a Big 10 roster.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back