• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

Talent factors in. Is talent the only factor in your opinion? Or are you purposely trying to be argumentative?

You said nobody has had it worse than Bo Pelini. I posted the amount of NFL talent he inherited on his roster. Give me a four year rundown on current Huskers that you think are going to make it to the pros. Where’s all the talent that we’re ignoring?

Pelini had existing elite level talent that he could rely on. Not only from a performance perspective, but from a holding guys accountable perspective, too. Who are the leaders on the team and what’s their performance level right now? Who do you look at and say “I need to do what he does because obviously it works”. That’s another thing this year’s team lacks compared to last year, IMO.

So yes, I’d much rather inherit a team full of NFL talent (athletic ability, attitude - for the most part) than a bunch of soft Riley commits that are not NFL talent, for the vast majority.

I just find your narrative about Pelini to be really amusing compared to what yours is on Frost. And for the record, I liked Pelini for the most part.

This is going to seem off the wall but I think Sam Folz's death in July 2016 really impacted the culture of Nebraska football. Aside from the carry over discontent/anger over the Pelini firing within the team his death opened the door in 2016 for a negative clique within the team to assume much influence. i.e. skipping classes/wieght training, ,etc. I think Folz's leadership was missed by a large group of players and that contributed to this happening. Please do not accuse me of blaming anything on Folz. That I am not doing. Just consider the team dynamics/culture, especially in 2016 and continuing through into 2017. Watch what little video of full team meetings in 2016 that are available and you can easily pick out the alpha male in those videos. Had Folz been available I think he was held in such high regard by the entire team, including that alpha male, he might have and I repeat might have, negated some of that negative influence impacting team work ethic/culture.

Colfax,
That's not a bad theory. I look at coaching a lot like politics. You cull hearts then win minds. You have to be careful whom is assigned leadership roles, and guard this group. These captains are the proxies of the head coach. Frost took a stab at picking 'who has heart' rather than 'who owns the hearts of his teammates'. There is a big difference. The former widens the divide between coach and players during failures. The latter draws them in closer to the coach regardless of the outcomes.

Colfax,
That's not a bad theory. I look at coaching a lot like politics. You cull hearts then win minds. You have to be careful whom is assigned leadership roles, and guard this group. These captains are the proxies of the head coach. Frost took a stab at picking 'who has heart' rather than 'who owns the hearts of his teammates'. There is a big difference. The former widens the divide between coach and players during failures. The latter draws them in closer to the coach regardless of the outcomes.
I agree with you here.

Does anyone else get the irony here about saying how bad things were/are here and trying to win with those same kids? I know how things are meant but if I am a player here I might take a bit of offense with some of the things. Little talent no depth. Sorry my rant isn't about Dr. Rob just comments in general.

I would too. I would want to make the people saying those things eat their words. Others might just give up. Everyone is different. Whatever the case here at NU, we are not where we want to be.

But I think the Dr. isn’t saying we lack talent. He is saying we don’t have the right mix of talent and we are missing key skill sets our offense needs to operate. For example, we don’t have an every down B1G RB and we don’t have a deep threat wideout to stretch the defense.

He also pointed out that it takes a lot more time to develop kids in the weight room than most fans realize. He left open the possibility that the young linemen that are struggling right now, may be turn it around with continued development in the program.

Blame Riley ... Check
Takes time.... Check
Frost needs his own guys... check
Weather.... check
No passion... check
No discipline... check
7 weeks without a bye week... check

any excuses i left out?

You forgot to close out with “garsh darn it, we are entitled to championships and I mean right now! Why should I have to wait! Fire them all and bring in the next set of coaches. And you, yeah you, get off my lawn.”

But, I guess calling what he says “excuses” is a much easier task than trying to argue that what he said was not accurate.

Last edited:
To your last statement, let me know where I stated "Frost inherited so much talent". I think you are confusing me saying our talent is better than what we are showing and twisting the words around to make an argument. You know... like you did in my example above that was completely false.

Who's left from Riley?
I have to admit, this was sent to me from someone belonging to another board (I belong there too). This was staggering to me... This is who was left from Riley recruiting classes on this current roster that they actually recruited. Again, this isn't mine, so I hope it's accurate. But keep in mind this is only game 5 of Scott's first year:

QB: 0
RB: 2 Ozigbo, Bradley
TE: 4 Stoll, Allen, Rafdal, Jurgens
OT: 3 Farniok, Jaimes, Sichterman
OG: 3 Raridon, Wilson, Bando
C: 1 Farniok
WR: 2 Spielman, McQuitty
DE: 5 Stille, Thomas, Walker, Wildeman, Alston
DT: 1 Daniels
OLB: 3 Ferguson, Davis, Thomas
ILB: 2 Barry, Miller
CB: 2 Jackson, Bootle
S: 4 Reed, Dismuke, Domann, Butler

So, that's 32 position players that are left on the roster from Mike Riley recruiting classes? And we wonder why we are sitting winless now. We are trying to win games with either guys recruited by Bo on their 5th defensive scheme, or first year guys that Frost has brought in, or these 32 guys. I'm not trying to make excuses here, but that's a tall task. We should be better than 0-4, but I can see why we are struggling.

Nothing has changed since you posted this except they've had a year and a half in the system. It sure didn't seem like you were doing cartwheels over those 32 guys then, but I guess you changed your mind. The 2018 class (which one certainly thrown together) has not provided any amount of depth that's needed. There's a couple pieces, but it's not enough. 2019 is even more promising, but it's as you mentioned above, first year guys that he's just brought in.

Anyhow, cheers though!

Part of the problem is the culture of Husker Nation. We've got a large class of what I call the handringers and expectation makers. We're loaded with so much media compared to most places that we live in a constant echo chamber that creates a surreality that makes it hard for fans, coaches and players to grasp what really is "reality." Everyone needs to lighten up and let Frost find his way. If he can't, no one can.

Nothing has changed since you posted this except they've had a year and a half in the system. It sure didn't seem like you were doing cartwheels over those 32 guys then, but I guess you changed your mind. The 2018 class (which one certainly thrown together) has not provided any amount of depth that's needed. There's a couple pieces, but it's not enough. 2019 is even more promising, but it's as you mentioned above, first year guys that he's just brought in.

Anyhow, cheers though!

I can't figure out if you're pro or anti anything because you oscillate back and forth. So Frost good or Frost bad?

I can't figure out if you're pro or anti anything because you oscillate back and forth. So Frost good or Frost bad?

You'll have to quote for me where I'm moving from one side to the other when it comes to Scott Frost. I've had a very consistent message about what I think of this team (performance, talent) and Frost.

Better answer your question - Frost is absolutely the coach Nebraska needs/wants. The overall talent level of the team is not where it needs to be (I don't think that's his fault). I'm not entirely surprised they're struggling. I am disappointed at the intangibles that they've been showing, however. It's not okay to lose because you're committing dumb penalties, don't play with any desire, etc. You can maybe say part of that is talent (or development) related, but it's something coaching can and should clean up by Year 2 IMO.

Last edited:

You said nobody has had it worse than Bo Pelini. I posted the amount of NFL talent he inherited on his roster. Give me a four year rundown on current Huskers that you think are going to make it to the pros. Where’s all the talent that we’re ignoring?

Pelini had existing elite level talent that he could rely on. Not only from a performance perspective, but from a holding guys accountable perspective, too. Who are the leaders on the team and what’s their performance level right now? Who do you look at and say “I need to do what he does because obviously it works”. That’s another thing this year’s team lacks compared to last year, IMO.

So yes, I’d much rather inherit a team full of NFL talent (athletic ability, attitude - for the most part) than a bunch of soft Riley commits that are not NFL talent, for the vast majority.

I just find your narrative about Pelini to be really amusing compared to what yours is on Frost. And for the record, I liked Pelini for the most part.
My quote "no one had it worse than Bo Pelini" was not solely related to talent on the team. I said Pelini inherited more talent than Riley, and Riley inherited more talent than Frost. You are arguing a point I agree with.

Last edited:

Anyhow, cheers though!
You went back 12 months to find that and forgot to read the fine print, again. That list doesn't include other guys Frost inherited such as Stanley Morgan Jr., Tanner Farmer, Jerald Foster, Luke Gifford, Dedrick Young, and Cole Conrad. 6 guys that signed with NFL teams, which typically I wouldn't use as criteria for "good talent inherited" but since you got to use it to tell me Chris Brooks was good talent inherited i'll use it here.

We are really getting away from ourselves tho... Pelini had the best talent inherited, then Riley, then Frost. Not sure what you are trying to prove here. Not sure why you are on a quest to prove how bad Frost's guys are. I don't think we are that great. But I can tell you that per recruiting rankings dictated by offers and camps 2018 Nebraska had better talent than Colorado, Troy, Purdue, and Northwestern, but we lost. 2019 Nebraska had more talent than Colorado and Minnesota, but we lost. Let's say not all of those are right, and only 50% of them are. We have lost to teams with worse talent than us at some point in Frost's tenure. Heck, we even lost to a team that fired their coach after how bad 2018 went.

At some point, this ain't Riley's fault.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back