• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Experience does matter, but I'm more than happy not to limit our coaching searches to former B1G coaches. If you can coach, you can coach.
I agree we shouldn't limit coaching searches to BIG coaches but more to how successful they have been at comparable levels of competition. Just because a coach was successful say in college football doesn't mean they will succeed at another level. Little Nick was extremely successful in college and was run out town coaching in the NFL. Obviously his college success didn't translate very well to the NFL. We may well have the right coaching staff but if we don't see improvement with our offensive line Frost will be forced to make changes imo. With less then 2 seasons it's to soon to start tossing assisstant coaches out the door. I'm more concerned with the way we lost last Saturday as the entire team looked lost to me.

There's more games ahead and I'm hoping that Minnesota game was the exception not the rule.

Last edited:

I get it.... I'll just say nothing was worse than what Pelini took over, and he took us from sub .500 to 9 wins in the first year. But when we fired Pelini every single player was pissed, then we hired a career .500 coach. Riley had a massive uphill climb psychologically. Whereas with Frost he got to take over for a team where guys like Foster, Farmer, Gifford, all those dudes that were the leaders wanted to win and knew there was a change needed. A welcome change.

It is what it is, you could convince me one way or the other i'm sure. But this whole "look how bad it was when we got here that's why we are where we are now" somewhat frustrates me. It was bad, not near as bad as we are trying to be convinced of to justify what's happening right now.
Pelini was a decent coach. Even though he kept at 9 wins, the program seemed to go down a bit under his watch. The 2 things which I think impacted him was losing very good assistants and the cloud over his head from the threat of firing for 2-3 seasons.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, the 2 people most responsible for the decline were Eichorst and Pearlman.

Pelini was a decent coach. Even though he kept at 9 wins, the program seemed to go down a bit under his watch. The 2 things which I think impacted him was losing very good assistants and the cloud over his head from the threat of firing for 2-3 seasons.

I’ve said it before and will say it again, the 2 people most responsible for the decline were Eichorst and Pearlman.

Agree with this other than Pelini’s relative dislike of recruiting was a part of the decline as well.

It's hard to pinpoint just one thing:

1) OL Farmer and Foster are huge losses. Starting a new center that has never played OL. Gaylord getting a season ending knee injury to not afford us the ability to move Farniok to guard without burning Benharts redshirt.
2) Our injuries are an issue. Would be nice to have your Rivals top 150 ILB Nick Henrich to help a struggling ILB crew. He had offers from LSU and Florida so you would think he could help.
3) I think our team looks worse in space than they did last year. I also hate that Henrich, Wright, Hickman, Jones, Smith, Jones, Thompkins, Rogers, Honas, and Wildeman had injuries in their first 6 months in our S&C program that were major injuries stunting development. I am super happy that Frost has a S&C coach he believes in, we haven't had a coach and S&C lock-step in quite some time. But our best space players offensively are the guys not lifting that much (Washington and Robinson). And our LBs appear to be worse in space this year. Best defensive player is a guy that spent all summer rehabbing and doing his own workouts.
4) I think scheme is ok offensively we just look awful. I think our scheme has looked good defensively at times (Northern Illinois, Northwestern, South Alabama), but what is happening against Minnesota and Ohio State? Really don't know.

My biggest question truly is after spring practices in 2018 (where he got to see what he was working with and how the team was taking to the coaching and S&C) he came with "we are going to be really dangerous in 2019." What made us go off course there?
Thanks as always I feel better informed from your reply.

I would add Pederson.

I said the same when Frost was hired. All my Husker friends chastised me severely for stating the depth of the mess Frost walked into. Everyone was screaming that we had plenty of talent and coaching was the issue. We are now seeing the truth. We have lacked talent for at least the past two decades, due largely to the firing of Solich in an attempt to change the style of physical, run orientated, smash mouth Husker football, to a finesse game of West Coast Offense. Is it any wonder that Steve Pederson can’t buy a ticket to his own high school reunion? If it is not obvious by now that we lack physical line play (both sides of the line of scrimmage), it should be.
Great points.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back