• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Doubt

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
After seeing last nights game in person, I'm beginning to have my doubts about Nebraska ever returning to an elite team in college baseball.

Last night I can count the mental errors on two hands. This has nothing to do with talent.

Erstad was outcoached by Dahm. Ugly.

And here's the kicker: How do you ask/demand that the lower level B1G teams put more money in their programs, when they are spending 1/10th of what Nebraska is, and Nebraska is losing to them?

Nothing against Erstad... but I've been saying for years now on here... Nebraska never will return to elite status. Joining the Big Ten was the final nail in the coffin -- because even if they dominate this sorry conference, the Huskers will not be prepared to face the solid competition in the NCAA Tournament. Enjoy the very fine memories of the Van Horn era -- because that will never again be matched.

Nothing against Erstad... but I've been saying for years now on here... Nebraska never will return to elite status. Joining the Big Ten was the final nail in the coffin -- because even if they dominate this sorry conference, the Huskers will not be prepared to face the solid competition in the NCAA Tournament. Enjoy the very fine memories of the Van Horn era -- because that will never again be matched.

Completely agree. Playing in this crap conference will put us farther down the list of recruits, especially when we struggle in the conference.

After seeing last nights game in person, I'm beginning to have my doubts about Nebraska ever returning to an elite team in college baseball.

Last night I can count the mental errors on two hands. This has nothing to do with talent.

And here's the kicker: How do you ask/demand that the lower level B1G teams put more money in their programs, when they are spending 1/10th of what Nebraska is, and Nebraska is losing to them?

This post makes me sick. I'm guessing you have not played baseball and have just begun following the sport. No matter how good the team or player there are bad days or weeks. I went to the northwestern game last Saturday and despite it being a disaster I am still confident things are on the right path...the kids are playing hard, we just got a stud 3rd baseman to commit...give them a chance.

You've been saying that for years?!?! WOW...that's amazing...it wasn't all that long ago no one would've ever thought Nebraska stood a chance of EVER going to the CWS...then they go 3 times within a 5 year span...but no, you've been saying for YEARS that they'll never make it back. That's just dandy...

I agree about the mental errors, which are unacceptable frankly, but I'm not sure how that means Erstad was outcoached?

Take out those mental errors in the 5th and Nebraska wins. The point is, it wasn't coaching decisions which lost the game last night it was mistakes by the players.

Second, Erstad is in his first season as a head coach!!!! Who honestly thought there wouldn't be growing pains?
People also need to remember that where most of these "mental" errors are coming from players who are playing new positions this year (e.g. Farmer at 3rd). They haven't been playing these positions for 3+ years and they are naturally going to be more inclined to make mental mistakes due to a lack of experience at a new position.

I'm confident Erstad will do a good job here at Nebraska, but everyone knew it wouldn't happen overnight.

You've been saying that for years?!?! WOW...that's amazing...it wasn't all that long ago no one would've ever thought Nebraska stood a chance of EVER going to the CWS...then they go 3 times within a 5 year span...but no, you've been saying for YEARS that they'll never make it back. That's just dandy...

Yes. Because what we found was a flash in the pan -- but a heckuva lot easier to make a splash when your team is in the Big 12 instead of the Big Ten -- that is a fact. I hope you're impressed with my words. You certainly appear to be. :)

I'm confident Erstad will do a good job here at Nebraska, but everyone knew it wouldn't happen overnight.

I definitely agree it wasn't going to happen overnight. This was a team in need of a major overhaul after Anderson destroyed it. I don't know what my confidence level is in Erstad -- but kinda hard to judge him based on one season, that's true. Otherwise, we really don't know how good of a coach he will become -- there isn't much history to go by. Personally, I continue to root for him -- because he was probably my all-time favorite Husker baseballer. It might work out, it might not. It's anyone's guess right now.

Last edited:
This post makes me sick. I'm guessing you have not played baseball and have just begun following the sport. No matter how good the team or player there are bad days or weeks. I went to the northwestern game last Saturday and despite it being a disaster I am still confident things are on the right path...the kids are playing hard, we just got a stud 3rd baseman to commit...give them a chance.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what the Big 10 is in baseball. There's never been a nationally elite team from this conference. Until the Big 10 gets a clue with it's scholarship rules, among other things, no team from the big 10 will be nationally elite. NU may get to a point where it rules the Big 10. But that won't be saying much.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what the Big 10 is in baseball. There's never been a nationally elite team from this conference. Until the Big 10 gets a clue with it's scholarship rules, among other things, no team from the big 10 will be nationally elite. NU may get to a point where it rules the Big 10. But that won't be saying much.

Isn't that why NU is planning to majorly amp up the non conf schedule? B1G to baseball what Sun Belt is to football...I get it blisker, but thanks for reiterating.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back