• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Don't forget to check out the fishing and stalking reports

On a related note, do you ever fish with a walleye spinner rig or a death roll hook with a pinched crawler? They're probably the most popular way to troll where I live, and folks have been debating for years why the heck walleyes eat them. Now I think I know. The shad die off every year in the winter in monumentally large numbers. Although only a small percentage survives the winter, they reproduce at unbelievable rates, grow like crazy all spring (while being eaten by everything in the water as well as the birds above), then die off in the next winter. The cycle keeps repeating itself. Apparently the bottom of the reservoirs are just loaded with dead shad, which decompose very slowly in the depths. Every big push of water shoves their dead bodies farther downstream, so fish are used to hanging out by the main current and eating rolling, dead shad that drift along the bottom ... looking a lot like a walleye spinner rig or a death roll hook with a pinched crawler.

This stuff interests me as much or more than Nebraska football, if that's believable. I invest a lot of time, money, and energy in trying to outsmart animals with brains the size of peanuts.
I hear you there, I crappie fish more than anything. Right now we're simply casting a 3" Berkeley Gulp minnow that's fire tiger color on a 1/4oz jighead. We tip with crawlers in the summer.

I'll get some pics, but I can't ever figure out how to post a picture on this site.
If you get a good pic, and you have trouble posting it, let me know, and I'll get you my cell # or Facebook or whatever would work for you. I'm sitting around, tying flies to put into modified crawler harnesses, and it'd be cool to see what you're seeing in their stomachs as a model.

If you get a good pic, and you have trouble posting it, let me know, and I'll get you my cell # or Facebook or whatever would work for you. I'm sitting around, tying flies to put into modified crawler harnesses, and it'd be cool to see what you're seeing in their stomachs as a model.
I'll try to find one floating in the water tomorrow, most stomach matter I've seen is hard to make out.

You should make 1/32-1/16 oz crappie jigs with small wings :Biggrin:

You should make 1/32-1/16 oz crappie jigs with small wings :Biggrin:
Have you ever used a death roll hook rig? I make flies that look like a dead shad that slowly spin in the water like a dead fish, which is what those death roll hook rigs imitate.

My kids make crappie jigs though, except they're usually tied on a bare hook instead of a jig hook.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back