• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Don Lanning to OU head coaching job

Red October

Travel Squad
10 Year Member

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione will name Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning as the next head coach for the Sooners.

Lanning, just a 35-year-old, has had a meteoric rise through the coaching ranks, landing him in Norman in charge of one of the biggest brands in college football.

ESPN is saying its Venebles...I have no clue which story is correct

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables is Oklahoma's new head football coach, the university announced.

A deal was finalized Sunday night after OU athletic director Joe Castiglione flew to the Clemson, South Carolina, area to meet with Venables, who had emerged as the Sooners' top target. Venables flew back with the Oklahoma contingent Sunday night and will be formally introduced Monday morning.

Last edited:

OU athletic director Joe Castiglione will name Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning as the next head coach for the Sooners.

Lanning, just a 35-year-old, has had a meteoric rise through the coaching ranks, landing him in Norman in charge of one of the biggest brands in college football.

This article came out last night. I saw it as well. Obviously someone had received some bad information.

It's definitely Venables.

A big oops by the All Sooners site and a big oops by MSN. All Sooners replaced the original article with a correction/retraction, but MSN picked up the original article and there it remains.

Sounds like the venerable Brent Venables was named HC.... it's almost like the old to tell the truth game show:
will the real HC, please stand up...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back