• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does the transfer portal change recruiting?

I’ve been reading the names of some of the guys who have entered the transfer portal. Not all of them, since over 1,500 have entered it! If the one time transfer with immediate eligibility passes, would it be smart to recruit less high schoolers and take more transfers?
Pros: would be getting more experienced, proven players who also would be less likely to transfer out (if the one-time transfer is approved). Also easier to patch up areas of need.
Cons: Could ruin team chemistry, might be just bringing in mercenaries who really don’t care about the program, hard to develop a culture with a revolving door...but don’t we kind of have that now?
Thoughts?

I think it's pretty impressive that Frost and Co. get 4* kids from Florida to come here despite us not being good and they usually transfer out. But, I think Frost should take his own words of "finding kids that want to be here" to an extreme.

I get that Florida and other far away places produce great football players but what good are they to us if they transfer away? That's time and money wasted on a kid that isn't going to be helping the team get any better. The coaching staff should reign in the recruiting radius a little bit and go HARD on the 500 mile radius. No more star chasing.

If Iowa and Wisconsin can do it, we need to figure out a way to do it too.

Get out of the recruiting the JUCO business and recruit the portal.

Yeah this staff hasn't had a whole lot of success going the JUCO route but Mike Rozier, Lavonte David, Zac Taylor, Randy Gregory, SJB, O Purify, and Dejon Gomes were all difference makers for the Huskers (on a side note Bo did a really good job with JUCO players).

But yeah, the portal is a new improved version of JUCO.

I’ve been reading the names of some of the guys who have entered the transfer portal. Not all of them, since over 1,500 have entered it! If the one time transfer with immediate eligibility passes, would it be smart to recruit less high schoolers and take more transfers?
Pros: would be getting more experienced, proven players who also would be less likely to transfer out (if the one-time transfer is approved). Also easier to patch up areas of need.
Cons: Could ruin team chemistry, might be just bringing in mercenaries who really don’t care about the program, hard to develop a culture with a revolving door...but don’t we kind of have that now?
Thoughts?

This is absolutely something we need to do, and I think you'll see it happen too. It's currently an underexploited area - there is a lot of talent out there. Allocate 3-5 scholarships a year to the portal. Lincoln is hard to recruit too when the kid is 18, but it should be easier the kid is 20. They should be more serious and realize that this is their last legit shot to make an impression to go to the league. If you want to party and hang out on the beach, go to Florida Atlantic. If you want to work and maximize yourself, come to Nebraska.

As for the cultural concerns, this is where proper vetting matters. We need to identify people that fit the above description. This begins when they are in High School. Is there a high 4 star QB from Dallas that's a lock for UT? Call him up and have a conversation. Tell him you know the HS coach and heard good things, wish him luck on his future endeavors. See how he responds. Maybe you don't have a shot at getting him then, but maybe after two years he finds himself behind a 5 star and is looking for a new opportunity. We know something about him, and maybe he's worth a shot. Maybe he appreciates us reaching out years ago...

Yeah this staff hasn't had a whole lot of success going the JUCO route but Mike Rozier, Lavonte David, Zac Taylor, Randy Gregory, SJB, O Purify, and Dejon Gomes were all difference makers for the Huskers (on a side note Bo did a really good job with JUCO players).

But yeah, the portal is a new improved version of JUCO.

It will be interesting to see how the portal impacts the JUCOs. On one hand, a lot of guys that look to transfer after a year (or semester, or even before reaching campus) may find a home at a JUCO for a year or two if they find that major programs aren't calling. On the other hand, a lot of guys that used to go the JUCO route after leaving school as a frosh (think Cam Newton or Zac Taylor) may find D1 program instead.

This is absolutely something we need to do, and I think you'll see it happen too. It's currently an underexploited area - there is a lot of talent out there. Allocate 3-5 scholarships a year to the portal. Lincoln is hard to recruit too when the kid is 18, but it should be easier the kid is 20. They should be more serious and realize that this is their last legit shot to make an impression to go to the league. If you want to party and hang out on the beach, go to Florida Atlantic. If you want to work and maximize yourself, come to Nebraska.

As for the cultural concerns, this is where proper vetting matters. We need to identify people that fit the above description. This begins when they are in High School. Is there a high 4 star QB from Dallas that's a lock for UT? Call him up and have a conversation. Tell him you know the HS coach and heard good things, wish him luck on his future endeavors. See how he responds. Maybe you don't have a shot at getting him then, but maybe after two years he finds himself behind a 5 star and is looking for a new opportunity. We know something about him, and maybe he's worth a shot. Maybe he appreciates us reaching out years ago...
We’ve already got two for this year, I was thinking in the 5-10 neighborhood? We also got Culp, Oliver Martin, Ezra Miller and Nuorhil (sp?) to transfer in as walk-ons last year. Those are stud walk-ons!

Yeah its like college free agency.... Need to recruit the portal over juco now.. I just wonder if coaches from other teams are encouraging players from other teams to hit the portal....lot these guys are only in the portal for a week or twp...

A thought I’ve been having is I think you stay away from kids who have “camps” of family or others that are likely to be very involved in the kid’s decision process.

Not all the kids that have left have this and there’s definitely some “Nebraska issues” but the two guys that that did have a camp have transferred and one of them had a brother transfer from another school.

Last edited:
It can't hurt. Although Frost has recruited "great" classes, not all of them have stuck around or panned out leaving us void of experience at every skill positon save TE.....In year 4. That's a huge concern. We need to do a better job of vetting kids who want to be here vs want to get recruited. We are losing regularly to teams with less star power, recruit ranking s and simply better coaching. Those teams are maximizing the "want to" and not worrying about the stars. Recruit the right kids for NU and the system. Develop them and start to win. I think the transfer portal lets you see how a kid does against "like" competition. More mature, needing a new start etc....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back