• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does PAC 12 Alliance doom NU OU again in our lifetime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing they might meet in 2021/2022 or 2020/2021 to mark the 50th anniversary of the game of the century.

That would be awesome. But pointing that out as the 50th Anniversary makes my knees shake. It's definitely something worth looking forward too. If the good Lord permits, Barry and Tom would steal the show.

That would be awesome. But pointing that out as the 50th Anniversary makes my knees shake. It's definitely something worth looking forward too. If the good Lord permits, Barry and Tom would steal the show.

They would both be nearly 85 so that may be pushing it.

OU has Texas as a rival and it means more to them than Nebraska does. Get over it Husker fans.

Yup... that ship sailed 15 years ago. Might be nice to run into them in a bowl game, but there are dozens of other non-conference teams it might be nice to see Nebraska play too.

The Oklahoma ship has sailed, folks.

It's still possible that we can pick them up as a future non-con, however. Even with the Pac-12 agreement, we're still guaranteed a bunch of years against Colorado, Washington State, Oregon State, etc...

Those bottom-feeder Pac-12 teams are no better/worse than the Fresno States of the world.

Actually, would be kind of cool to pick up both Colorado and Oklahoma in one season, for old time's sake.

Maybe I should quit looking backwards to the greatness of that rivalry and just accept we have new ones now to embrace.
Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. All these programs are great, along the lines of OU. I believe we'll have a lot to look forward to. And it doesn't matter if they don't "consider" us their rival. You beat someone enough times in a row and nature does the rest. :) Acutally, just like Texas did to us. :cry:

Yup... that ship sailed 15 years ago. Might be nice to run into them in a bowl game, but there are dozens of other non-conference teams it might be nice to see Nebraska play too.
I'd go back even further than that. I'd say the 1980s. OU was down for nearly a decade before the Big 12 formed; there wasn't much of a rivalry left by the time we split divisions.

Well, there was a thread on the programs folks would most like to see Nebraska play which included teams like Boise State, LSU, and Florida State. I searched again, but couldn't find it. But it affirms basically what you're saying.

However, I think OU-Nebraska falls into the same traditional rivalry like Notre Dame-USC, making it worthy of special attention by our respective programs.

Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. All these programs are great, along the lines of OU. I believe we'll have a lot to look forward to. And it doesn't matter if they don't "consider" us their rival. You beat someone enough times in a row and nature does the rest. :) Actually, just like Texas did to us. :cry:

I'm hearing you loud and clear, Kimosabe. :thankssign:

Last edited:
However, I think OU-Nebraska falls into the same traditional rivalry like Notre Dame-USC, making it worthy of special attention by our respective programs.

Nah, OU killed that rivalry, much to the chagrin of NU fans at the time. They won't meet often enough in future Series, or Bowl Games to ever revive the rivalry.

(Interestingly enough, NU vs. Notre Dame was a budding rivalry until ND replaced NU on their schedule with USC, due to hard feelings, in 1925, when the series was tied at 5-5 plus one Tie. We currently have book on them 8-7.)

Last edited:

(Interestingly enough, NU vs. Notre Dame was a budding rivalry until ND replaced NU on their schedule with USC in 1925, when the series was tied at 5-5 plus one Tie. We currently have book on them 8-7.)

and we were the only team to beat the 4 horsemen twice. :cool:

i think this pac12/B1G deal is much bigger than the sooner rivalry. are we ever gonna be able to schedule a different team each year or are we gonna be stuck with whomever the B1G picks for us? a 9/10 game conference schedule (including champ game) plus the cross over game means we would be locked into 11 games vs the same ol teams....along with the rose bowl. god i miss the days of auburn,iowa,penn state,florida state non-conference games:mad:

09/19 Florida State Lincoln W 34-14 17/19 76,289
09/26 Penn State Lincoln L 24-30 15/3 76,308
10/03 Auburn Lincoln W 17-3 / 76,423
10/10 #Colorado Lincoln W 59-0 / 76,169
10/17 #Kansas State Manhattan W 49-3 19/ 45,915
10/24 #Missouri Columbia W 6-0 15/19 72,001
10/31 #Kansas-HC Lincoln W 31-15 12/ 76,208
11/07 #Oklahoma St. Stillwater W 54-7 11/ 48,500
11/14 #Iowa State Lincoln W 31-7 7/ 76,258
11/21 #Oklahoma Norman W 37-14 5/ 74,807
01/01 Clemson* Miami L 15-22 4/1 72,748

throw in clemson and we played 5 pretty name schools out of conference that year.

I personally think that the 9 game schedule still occurs, it just keeps just that much more money in the conference and adds pressure for Notre Dame to join or forge an alliance with the B1G in some way or another.

As such, the OU ship has sailed, we can pine all we like but there is no way to get that 7 game home schedule with the PAC 12 alliance to make the schedule work out.

My eventual solution? Allow a larger sum to go to the students for scholarships, raise scholarship limits, and add 2 games to the allowable schedule to pay for it. Let the season start two weeks earlier, I don't think any fans would complain and it wouldn't interfere with the school work for the students. It would allow greater revenues for athletic departments and keep non-conference schedules interesting.

i think this pac12/B1G deal is much bigger than the sooner rivalry. are we ever gonna be able to schedule a different team each year or are we gonna be stuck with whomever the B1G picks for us? a 9/10 game conference schedule (including champ game) plus the cross over game means we would be locked into 11 games vs the same ol teams....along with the rose bowl. god i miss the days of auburn,iowa,penn state,florida state non-conference games:mad:

09/19 Florida State Lincoln W 34-14 17/19 76,289
09/26 Penn State Lincoln L 24-30 15/3 76,308
10/03 Auburn Lincoln W 17-3 / 76,423
10/10 #Colorado Lincoln W 59-0 / 76,169
10/17 #Kansas State Manhattan W 49-3 19/ 45,915
10/24 #Missouri Columbia W 6-0 15/19 72,001
10/31 #Kansas-HC Lincoln W 31-15 12/ 76,208
11/07 #Oklahoma St. Stillwater W 54-7 11/ 48,500
11/14 #Iowa State Lincoln W 31-7 7/ 76,258
11/21 #Oklahoma Norman W 37-14 5/ 74,807
01/01 Clemson* Miami L 15-22 4/1 72,748

throw in clemson and we played 5 pretty name schools out of conference that year.

wait where was Iowa on this schedule? I mean it was an amazing schedule but Iowa wasn't there

I personally think that the 9 game schedule still occurs, it just keeps just that much more money in the conference and adds pressure for Notre Dame to join or forge an alliance with the B1G in some way or another.

As such, the OU ship has sailed, we can pine all we like but there is no way to get that 7 game home schedule with the PAC 12 alliance to make the schedule work out.

My eventual solution? Allow a larger sum to go to the students for scholarships, raise scholarship limits, and add 2 games to the allowable schedule to pay for it. Let the season start two weeks earlier, I don't think any fans would complain and it wouldn't interfere with the school work for the students. It would allow greater revenues for athletic departments and keep non-conference schedules interesting.

I seriously, seriously doubt the B1G officials are doing this to try to strong arm ND in wanting to join. The whole purpose of this alliance is so that NEITHER conference has to expand.

And as far as the 9 game conference schedule goes, I'm pretty sure Delaney has already stated that they are going to drop that idea by the way side because the P12 alliance eliminates the need for more conference games.

OK, I realize that some of you guys got a lot more line left in your fishing pole, but some of us only have a couple of clicks left in our odometers.

I for one, was hopeful we could eventually get OU-NU back on the slate considering we didn't have the Big XII schedule anymore to contend with.

Now it looks like with the PAC 12/Big 10 coupling, all the future schedules even got tighter, considering the Big 10 will probably still add a couple of more teams to the conference before it's all said and done.

Maybe I should quit looking backwards to the greatness of that rivalry and just accept we have new ones now to embrace.

B12 ended NU vs OU , not sure where you have been lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back