• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does Bo view himself as a "teacher of coaches"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMfanFORnu

Scout Team
5 Year Member
In responding to other thread, it reminded me about something that Bo was speaking about when he first came to Nebraska in regards his own experiences learning from many great NFL minds/coaches.

Bo really seemed to be very passionate about this aspect of coaching -- learning and teaching from other coaches.

In his four short years here, he has had a significant impact on the careers of many young coaches. I can think of at least 6 so far that have advanced their coaching careers since Bo's arrival.

If my thoughts are accurate, that Bo views this as a very important aspect of his position here at Nebraska. Does Nebraska offer Bo a greater opportunity here than at any other "Top 10" BCS program.

While some of us moan and groan about the perceived lack of experience of our past and present coordinators. Would Bo have the same freedom and leeway at say Ohio State, Miami, Penn St. etc as he does here? Can one image how the tOSU fanbase would react to the promotion of a 4 yr position coach to DC ?

6?? are you going by people who are hired because others were fired?

I wouldn't call him a teacher of coaches yet....sure guys have "advanced" but none standout like Snyder's or Fry's coaching trees....got a long way to go

6?? are you going by people who are hired because others were fired?

I wouldn't call him a teacher of coaches yet....sure guys have "advanced" but none standout like Snyder's or Fry's coaching trees....got a long way to go

Original question is how does Bo view himself, as a teacher of coaches ??

-- Snyder and Fry had/have been coaching for 15+ years, Bo only four so far, yes a ways to go, but not a bad start

-- 6 Coaches who have their careers advanced -- Carl, Beck, JP, Eckler, Fisher, Els, and possibly also add Garrison.

Original question is how does Bo view himself, as a teacher of coaches ??

-- Snyder and Fry had/have been coaching for 15+ years, Bo only four so far, yes a ways to go, but not a bad start

-- 6 Coaches who have their careers advanced -- Carl, Beck, JP, Eckler, Fisher, Els, and possibly also add Garrison.

If you go by the original question of how Bo views himself, then you might as well close the thread since Bo won't tell ya. BTW: What about the coaches that didn't advance, does he get credit for those too?

If you go by the original question of how Bo views himself, then you might as well close the thread since Bo won't tell ya. BTW: What about the coaches that didn't advance, does he get credit for those too?

Which coaches are you referring to ?

?? - The 2 coaches from the former staff that were eloquently "reassigned" to other programs -- further support that Bo views helping out other coaches as important.

?? - The 2 current "experienced" coaches on the current staff that had already established themselves as BCS level assistants (Brown, Cotton).

Are there any of the young of "non-established" coaches that have not advanced their careers by Bo hiring them ?

Which coaches are you referring to ?

?? - The 2 coaches from the former staff that were eloquently "reassigned" to other programs -- further support that Bo views helping out other coaches as important.

?? - The 2 current "experienced" coaches on the current staff that had already established themselves as BCS level assistants (Brown, Cotton).

Are there any of the young of "non-established" coaches that have not advanced their careers by Bo hiring them ?

well, then going by your definition, then everyone out there is pretty much a teacher of coaches....including Carl who now gets to help out a bunch of coaches...

To me, though....it's about that tree

Bo recognizes talent it's that simple. What other coach would come to Nebraska with TWO graduate assistants. He understands college football and continues to surround himself with highly motivated people who know how to teach and relate to relate to players.
I am convinced Bo will end his career at Nebraska ( it may not be as long as Osborne) as one of the finest coaches the program has ever produced and his assistants will have successful careers. He is still a VERY young and VERY smart man( continuing to learn) who recognizes the sacrifices his family is making for his career. That is RARE among college football coaches.
I'm going to enjoy EVERY game he coaches with the Huskers.

Bo recognizes talent it's that simple. What other coach would come to Nebraska with TWO graduate assistants. He understands college football and continues to surround himself with highly motivated people who know how to teach and relate to relate to players.
I am convinced Bo will end his career at Nebraska ( it may not be as long as Osborne) as one of the finest coaches the program has ever produced and his assistants will have successful careers. He is still a VERY young and VERY smart man( continuing to learn) who recognizes the sacrifices his family is making for his career. That is RARE among college football coaches.
I'm going to enjoy EVERY game he coaches with the Huskers.

Amen

Bo absolutely sees himself as a mentor. I think that's pretty obvious.

Does Bo have more opportunity here at Nebraska to "mentor" young coaches Vs. a place like Ohio St ?

Is that a potential advantage for the HC at Nebraska, or its the same at all of the "top 10" programs?

I think a part of this goes back to a) his HS days under Stoops, Sr. and b) his first coaching gig under Hayden Fry. I think he learned loyalty from Stoops and the power to giving opportunities and a big coaching tree from Fry.

The interesting aspect (to me, at least) is the differences in assistant coach hiring philosophy between Osborne and Pelini. Osborne was all about loyalty and stability among his assistants. When you got an assistant's gig at NU, you were going to be there for a while. Pelini favors the younger coaches who can (and do) blossom into "rising stars".

Both ways have their pros and cons. For Osborne, having the same core of assistants made it easy to maintain the program as everyone knew their roles. Plus the loyalty he showed was repaid by assistants turning down other jobs. The downside was the more entrenched coaches started to coast in their later (i.e. Solich) years which set the program back. For Pelini, hiring young guys means he's getting coaches who have a hunger and a drive to prove themselves (and not the guys who call it a day at 5 pm). The younger guys are usually relate better to recruits than an assistant in his 50s or 60s. The downside to Pelini's way is the lack of program stability and the adjustment period caused when a new coach comes in (as seen with the DBs this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back