• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Does anyone on here smoke venison?

redwinghusker

All Big 10
10 Year Member
So, does anybody smoke venison on here? I would like to give it a shot, but am afraid because it's so lean it'll turn to shoe leather. I'm thinking maybe wrapping in bacon and or butterflying the meat and placing bacon strips on the inside. Any thoughts or tips?

So, does anybody smoke venison on here? I would like to give it a shot, but am afraid because it's so lean it'll turn to shoe leather. I'm thinking maybe wrapping in bacon and or butterflying the meat and placing bacon strips on the inside. Any thoughts or tips?

Yes I do, but if I told you what I marinated it in, my brother in-law would shoot me.

Here's what has worked for me, Redwing -
Marinate in Olive Oil, Roasted Garlic, Liquid Smoke, Worchestershire, Sugar, Salt and Pepper. Add or delete cumin, oregano, bay leaves, or cayenne, based on the type of harvested game, your targeted audience, and your preference. The only rule that I learned was to make sure the salt and sugar are of equal amounts (one cup each). Three to four days marination should work for just about all circumstances. Slit the meat, add garlic cloves if desired. Baste every half hour with butter, or (as you point out) pin some bacon to the outside of the venison. Smoke to 145 degrees, let sit for ten to fifteen minutes. Slice thinly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back