• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Does anyone else miss..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
i really miss the OLD Herbie Husker. The new guy is ok but I believe Old Herbie represented the Huskers better. Isn't the new guy one of Peterson's creations?

Herbie.jpg

You may be confusing the new Herbie with lil' red, but yeah I also prefer the old (as in 10 to 15 yrs ago) version of Herbie. I talked to a couple of badger fans at last year's game about this...They were fans of lil red - albeit a bit creeped out by all of his disappearing head tricks - but not of the newer version of herbie

i really miss the OLD Herbie Husker. The new guy is ok but I believe Old Herbie represented the Huskers better. Isn't the new guy one of Peterson's creations?

I believe your right that Stevie P changed Herbie appearance. Dyed Herbs hair darker so they could look more alike, what a shame. Luckily Osborne isnt afflicted the same egomania or else we'd have a red or even silver-haired Herbie gracing our stadium.

Ironically, the Athletic Department seems to know that people miss the old Herbie Husker. He still appears on those "vintage" t-shirts that have become popular now so he's still licensed by the Athletic Department. Lil Red was/is an attempt to connect with younger kids and, believe it or not, has won several awards so he's not ever going anywhere. If the kids like Lil Red, I'm okay with it. I'd love for somebody to do an article on just how that thing works, I'm still unsure whether or not there's an actual person in that costume or if it's a machine. I think it's an actual person (who I give much respect to, because that has to be a horrible job early in the season when it's still warm) but it could be a machine. Heck, I saw the original Star Wars movies when they were first released and love the movies but didn't know there was an actual person inside R2D2 and C3PO until last week, lol.

When FADSP (there's an acronym I haven't used in a while) had Herbie re-designed the marketing people said that it was an attempt to update him to make him look more like the Nebraska farmers of today (i.e. get rid of the bib overalls). Given the fact that I know people buy the t-shirts with the old Herbie on them and I can't think of a single piece of merchandise with the "new" Herbie IMO the effort's failed.

If the Athletic Department ever decides to go back to a version of the "old Herbie" I just hope they don't make the costume cross-eyed. Either the costume used in the late 1990s or the costume used right before the total revamp was cross eyed which looked really stupid. Also, given the fact that those costumes cannot be cheap the Athletic Department probably has several dozen things they'd rather pay for. IMO the only way we get "old Herbie" back is if donors put up the cash.

Last edited:
I believe your right that Stevie P changed Herbie appearance. Dyed Herbs hair darker so they could look more alike, what a shame. Luckily Osborne isnt afflicted the same egomania or else we'd have a red or even silver-haired Herbie gracing our stadium.

as I said earlier it was Dollar Bill that made the change.

I'd love for somebody to do an article on just how that thing works, I'm still unsure whether or not there's an actual person in that costume or if it's a machine. I think it's an actual person (who I give much respect to, because that has to be a horrible job early in the season when it's still warm) but it could be a machine. Heck, I saw the original Star Wars movies when they were first released and love the movies but didn't know there was an actual person inside R2D2 and C3PO until last week, lol.

A couple of years ago, my employer had a "tailgate party" for the company, complete with cheerleaders and 'Lil Red. My office was next door to the men's room and I can personally attest that a guy walked into that men's room (pulling a large duffel bag on wheels) and 10-15 minutes later 'Lil Red came out.

Later on that day, there was a 15 minute window where that duffel bag was left unattended, and I could have walked out with one of the all time great Halloween costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back