• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Doc!

Its enough of a head scratcher to make many of the fans and posters.....scratch their heads. However, when thinking over some of the comments.....especially his time with Hoiberg at Iowa State and his defensive potential it makes a little more sense. I'd be a little concerned with his recruiting but evidently Fred is secure enough with it so that's fine with me.

Its enough of a head scratcher to make many of the fans and posters.....scratch their heads. However, when thinking over some of the comments.....especially his time with Hoiberg at Iowa State and his defensive potential it makes a little more sense. I'd be a little concerned with his recruiting but evidently Fred is secure enough with it so that's fine with me.

My thoughts as well. After 3 pages I'm on board with Doc coming in. :)

Always good to have a former head coach as an assistant. (Well almost always) He must have enjoyed his time here to be willing to come back.
Exacty what I was thinking. Obviously he enjoyed his time in Lincoln regardless of how it ultimately ended. Coming back says he's HAPPY to be back and working with Fred once again. Our BB fortunes are now on a fast track to get really good over the next several years imo.

Welcome back Doc and much success with your new coaching gig.............

Matt Abdelmassih, Bobby Lutz, and Armon Gates will be the guys on staff who will really focus on recruiting.

Doc is popular enough that he can have his own radio show in Lincoln right away if he wants it, talk about sports in general and basketball. Hell, he could probably do "color" for the football team radio. He's the one who started the trend of attending your own firing press conference. Who does that and gets applause? Doc Sadler, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:
Speaking of his firing presser it was apparent he was really broken up about it. I mean, no one likes getting fired, but it went beyond that with Doc. I think he really loved the community and university and was more upset about having to leave that.

As for recruiting, it’s one thing to recruit for yourself and a different thing to recruit for a guy like Hoiberg. Same as when TO retired. His staff that stayed on wasn’t recruiting kids to come play for TO anymore. Makes the game more difficult.

Last edited:
They just announced on the radio, in the HUSKER Psu game that Doc is N. :Corn2: :Mfclap: :Rockon: :Cheer2:

Oh, the HUSKERS lead 3-2!

Last edited:

Every coach doesn’t need to be a strong recruiter. Honestly, I kind of figured Doc could fill the role of local contact guy. He had interest in some of the locals, and I never heard local coaches have anything negative to say about him, so he could handle that for us if needed.

We need Xs and Os, and while Fred is really good with this, we need more than just one person working to elevate the execution on the court. Lutz is also really good at game planning, so you really do have some pretty impressive minds to breakdown plays, positions, and execution.

Every coach doesn’t need to be a strong recruiter. Honestly, I kind of figured Doc could fill the role of local contact guy. He had interest in some of the locals, and I never heard local coaches have anything negative to say about him, so he could handle that for us if needed.

We need Xs and Os, and while Fred is really good with this, we need more than just one person working to elevate the execution on the court. Lutz is also really good at game planning, so you really do have some pretty impressive minds to breakdown plays, positions, and execution.
So Doc can convince Easley, Sallis and Hepburn to come to UNL?

I don’t know, do we want them all? I’m thinking of him as a longer term play from a relationship standpoint.
Yeah, I'm joking a little on one of those three. You can decide which one. All would be fun to see playing for Nebraska. And being able to go to Omaha and not worry about what you have done in the past would be great too.

Last edited:

It is a step down and that might be what Doc wants. I never thought he looked very comfortable with the stress of being a head coach.
It might be a step down in a coaching hierarchy, but I will bet, that for Doc, it is a huge step up in being happy with what you are doing. At the age of 58, that is probably what is most important to Doc.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back