• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you trust the development with this staff? We are going to find out!

You've been around the game long enough to know it is quite possible, nay probable, for a coaching staff to recruit multiple position groups and yet here we are. I'm sure we will revisit this conversation again next recruiting cycle when a 4 star WR commits and you get mad about it.

Not only that, but it was pointed out many, many times the quantity of OL on the roster as well as the number of 3-4 star recruits who were recruited by all of the big boys. The problem was more development than recruiting.

Not only that, but it was pointed out many, many times the quantity of OL on the roster as well as the number of 3-4 star recruits who were recruited by all of the big boys. The problem was more development than recruiting.
Absolutely.

If you can share, what changes have they made in the weight room?
I know that when we got here, we weren't big on the "functional" aspect of lifting. Now, whether that be due to the injuries or not, we are incorporating them more in our arsenal. The issue is, i'm not sure if we talked negatively about functional and did them anyway last year, but i'm hoping we started to do them in an effort to help our injury situation. I'm curious if it can help, as our bread and butter is still on the CrossFit circuit to build muscle.

My glass is half full is we needed to get some single leg/joint work going to help us and we started that up. Glass is half empty is we talked down about functional even tho we were still doing it and our injuries were the way they were.

I know that when we got here, we weren't big on the "functional" aspect of lifting. Now, whether that be due to the injuries or not, we are incorporating them more in our arsenal. The issue is, i'm not sure if we talked negatively about functional and did them anyway last year, but i'm hoping we started to do them in an effort to help our injury situation. I'm curious if it can help, as our bread and butter is still on the CrossFit circuit to build muscle.

My glass is half full is we needed to get some single leg/joint work going to help us and we started that up. Glass is half empty is we talked down about functional even tho we were still doing it and our injuries were the way they were.
Can you explain what you mean by functional? I'm curious.

Functional is performing lifts that mimic physiological demands of the activities you are doing. The one problem is if they do not work on the supporting structures and joints then you end up with the groin issues etc. You build these large muscles but then the joints that connect them and the small supporting muscles do not always hold up. It was one of the knocks on Boyd's program. You need a mixture of both.

Functional is performing lifts that mimic physiological demands of the activities you are doing. The one problem is if they do not work on the supporting structures and joints then you end up with the groin issues etc. You build these large muscles but then the joints that connect them and the small supporting muscles do not always hold up. It was one of the knocks on Boyd's program. You need a mixture of both.
Thanks.

Pretty spot on... right now we are just lifting the heaviest weight "by any means necessary" which puts your body in awkward positions in an attempt to build as much muscle as possible. In turn, you can get some pretty gnarly imbalances because you aren't working on doing the lifts "right" you are just trying to get thru them. Functional lifting is more about injury prevention and mimicking movements you are going to see on the field, single leg lower weight things to help build the joints.

I am anxious for this case study to see if the two things can co-exist. I'm not so sure they can but excited to see it in action. Either way, our guys will be looking the part more and more just like people heavy in to CrossFit do.

Last edited:
Pretty spot on... right now we are just lifting the heaviest weight "by any means necessary" which puts your body in awkward positions in an attempt to build as much muscle as possible. In turn, you can get some pretty gnarly imbalances because you aren't working on doing the lifts "right" you are just trying to get thru them. Functional lifting is more about injury prevention and mimicking movements you are going to see on the field, single leg lower weight things to help build the joints.

I am anxious for this case study to see if the two things can co-exist. I'm not so sure they can but excited to see it in action. Either way, our guys will be looking the part more and more just like people heavy in to CrossFit do.

So I assumed when you were saying functional that you were talking about the crossfit workouts and functional fitness. What you and IDoc just explained makes more sense. I still see more of an emphasis on weight over form whenever video from workouts gets shown.

So I assumed when you were saying functional that you were talking about the crossfit workouts and functional fitness. What you and IDoc just explained makes more sense. I still see more of an emphasis on weight over form whenever video from workouts gets shown.
That's where we are at. Lift heavy even if ROM and form go to poop. I disagree with that, but there's psychological motives in play as well. We are going to have impressive gains in the weight room this year. I'm excited.

That's where we are at. Lift heavy even if ROM and form go to poop. I disagree with that, but there's psychological motives in play as well. We are going to have impressive gains in the weight room this year. I'm excited.
As long as they aren't doing kipping pullups and bounce assisted deadlifts I'm cool with it. It's their lumbars and patellar tendons not mine. ;)

Well, it does make for a cooler video seeing the guys squat a million pounds. Not sure anyone wants to post a vid of a lineman doing his stretching exercises. :Biggrin:

I'd hate for anyone to record me when I'm doing post workout stretches. It might sound like a Rice Krispies commercial.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back