• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you trust the development with this staff? We are going to find out!

Also fascinating that we are just instantly giving the benefit of the doubt to this staff. I’ll take it tho.

We are basically opposite of Cav/Riley and Pelini/Garrison who pulled in highly touted OL classes.
All I know is that the 3 and 4 star o-linemen the previous staffs brought in played like 2-3 stars. I know back in the day when o-linemen came in you didn't hear much about them until about their junior years then were developed into animals. I think you are in trouble as a team if an offensive lineman has to come in and play right away.

All I know is that the 3 and 4 star o-linemen the previous staffs brought in played like 2-3 stars. I know back in the day when o-linemen came in you didn't hear much about them until about their junior years then were developed into animals. I think you are in trouble as a team if an offensive lineman has to come in and play right away.
Agree there. Our offense is going to make it so these athletic and undervalued linemen look like studs. I will be curious how the “power” aspect and straight-ahead run game will do.

Certainly gonna have to wait. I guess my point is that this staff is looking for things that other teams aren’t.
This article backs up your research:

https://www.huskermax.com/pernell-2019-recruiting-class-position-spotlight-offensive-line/

"From 1970-2001, Nebraska had at least one offensive lineman named All-Conference. Since 2002, there have only been three: Richie Incognito (2003), Ricky Henry (2010) and Spencer Long (2012). Scott Frost knows this needs to change."

“What disturbs me right now is that Iowa is a bigger, stronger football team. I never thought I’d see or hear that or say that about a Nebraska football team,” Frost said. “I look forward to the day where we’re not going to get pushed around by anybody. I want to get to the point where I look across the field and don’t think they are bigger than us. That shouldn’t happen at the University of Nebraska.”

AND:
"He’s [Benhart] a consensus four-star recruit who is ranked No. 121 (247 Sports), No. 139 (Rivals) and No. 275 (ESPN) nationally, making him the highest rated offensive line signee since Baker Steinkuhler in 2008."

Last edited:
This article backs up your research:

https://www.huskermax.com/pernell-2019-recruiting-class-position-spotlight-offensive-line/

"From 1970-2001, Nebraska had at least one offensive lineman named All-Conference. Since 2002, there have only been three: Richie Incognito (2003), Ricky Henry (2010) and Spencer Long (2012). Scott Frost knows this needs to change."

“What disturbs me right now is that Iowa is a bigger, stronger football team. I never thought I’d see or hear that or say that about a Nebraska football team,” Frost said. “I look forward to the day where we’re not going to get pushed around by anybody. I want to get to the point where I look across the field and don’t think they are bigger than us. That shouldn’t happen at the University of Nebraska.”

AND:
"He’s [Benhart] a consensus four-star recruit who is ranked No. 121 (247 Sports), No. 139 (Rivals) and No. 275 (ESPN) nationally, making him the highest rated offensive line signee since Baker Steinkuhler in 2008."

:Cheers:

Yep. Ratings, shmatings.

What's interesting is that the highest ratings occur AFTER a player has received offers from reputable programs. That tells us something right there.

Don't you know a Wiscy or Iowa has to love it when they snag a recruit who has the frame, character, and potential they need but who has not been grabbed up by the rating hype machine?

Pelini said it once, and folks thought he was being brash: "We make our own ratings at Nebraska!" (and maybe some day we will!)

But you have to remember that in the 60-3 days, we had guys that were highly rated. It was their backups that were developed in the 4-station practices.

But you have to remember that in the 60-3 days, we had guys that were highly rated. It was their backups that were developed in the 4-station practices.

True they were highly rated and there is no doubt their talent was further developed as they played. The question is how many players received a “star bump” after they committed to a perennial national champion?

These days, how often does a formerly “three star” kid get bumped to four stars after he commits to Alabama or Clemson?

Kind of late to the party on this thread, but I think a few things stick out to me.

We are definitely counting on Duval/Ellils/Austin to build this line, but in pretty strategic ways, I think

- Last year's class was all about OT prospects who could be high level guys. Benhart is the closest to playing, but I think Anderson and Fritzsche are both guys with tons of upside. I would never have wanted to see them under the last staff because I don't think they'd ever get where they needed physically or technically.

- Without Bland, we took 1 (maybe) guard prospect in Lynn, but he could also be a tackle Maybe Banks plays OL, but he also looks like a tackle. What does that mean, it means we plan and count on getting interior players through the walk on program and maybe by moving guys down. But I don't think some of these guys project that well to OG or Center, so it's a high risk/high reward strategy, but I think it works... look at what we already have in the 2 deep

- Hixson was in the 2 deep last year as a RS Freshman and likely is this year and maybe earns the right to start. Hunter Miller was competing for the center job as a RS Frosh last year and is coming back to compete for the job this year without an incumbent.

- We've also brought in a lot of quality interior linemen type through the walk on program. Guys like Forbes, Shefke and others all look like great projects along with getting Wegener as a 3 to play 2 guy at center. And, honestly, what are the ratios of 3 start and even lower ranked 4 star interior linemen.. I think it's one of the most hit/miss positions in all of recruiting. If we bring in TWICE as many quality projects.. I think we can do better than if we bring in targeted guys.. but this strategy lets us take chances at OT...

- if you are confident in your ability to get and build those guys on the interior, you can go out and take chances with your OT's (a bit of speculation here, but this looks to me like what they are doing). You have Benhart in the class, so you look at Fritzsche and Anderson -- I think they are both TE conversions from recent years even. they have a lot of weight to gain, but they can MOVE their feet and they are athletic enough to bend their knees and stay in front of their guys.

I really like that they are looking at this position in a strategic way.

One believer -- Jim Fritzsche (Jimmy's Dad) who played in the NFL a bit:

"The things they have right now at Nebraska are so impressive to me," the father said. "I didn't care where he went, but at Nebraska they have the No. 1 nutritionist and No. 1 weight coach in the country (in Dave Ellis). He's (been) a personal trainer for Tom Brady, LeBron James, all the top stars. You won't recognize this guy in two years"

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-jimmy-fritzsche-chooses-nebraska/2360671002/

True they were highly rated and there is no doubt their talent was further developed as they played. The question is how many players received a “star bump” after they committed to a perennial national champion?

These days, how often does a formerly “three star” kid get bumped to four stars after he commits to Alabama or Clemson?

I believe our '95 championship team had one of the lowest average class ratings (4 or 5 years previous) for a national champion team at that time. The subsequent classes were higher because we'd "proved" ourselves by winning the national title, IMO. Maybe we had a bit of a bump in people wanting to consider us, but I don't think Osborne's strategy had changed much

Last edited:

Certainly gonna have to wait. I guess my point is that this staff is looking for things that other teams aren’t.

To be fair, in some of those higher rated years, we were looking at things several others were as well. We were competing for guys some other big name schools were chasing, yet we haven’t seen anything resembling a dominating line in decades. Maybe something different, and the type of blocking we’ll be asking them to execute will improve the performance as well. Just kicking out a thought.

It was an interesting OP and caught my eye. I might not be able to take quite as positive approach to this as many. Yes I believe in the development 100% but........at some point we need to start with some higher upsides instead of taking the "we will develop"attitude. Just as we do every other position. I think we will get there and pretty sure SF and staff would like to get there too. In the mean time it will probably take us re-branding the old pipeline fears into the other teams before we can get some of the best recruits in.

It was an interesting OP and caught my eye. I might not be able to take quite as positive approach to this as many. Yes I believe in the development 100% but........at some point we need to start with some higher upsides instead of taking the "we will develop"attitude. Just as we do every other position. I think we will get there and pretty sure SF and staff would like to get there too. In the mean time it will probably take us re-branding the old pipeline fears into the other teams before we can get some of the best recruits in.

Fair enough, Hville. Sounds to me like you should be adding some sort of red juice to your on-tap offerings at your establishment. Hope increases consumption, donchaknow! :Corn2::Rockon:

They take 3*** guys?

They take 3*** guys?

interior linemen... I think it's one of the most hit/miss positions in all of recruiting.

I agree. Why do you think this is? Is it the lack of "performance measurables" that captures the interior linemen's play versus the measurables that skill position guys have? Of course, QB's have a gazillion stats to evaluate - RB's and WR's as well. DB's, LB's have defensive stats versus pass and run. DL have sacks, TFL's, 'hurries,' fumble recoveries, etc. What do OL guys have? Pancakes? "Penalties against?" They do have the personal measureables, height, weight, 40 times, vertical jump, lifting numbers, etc., but beyond that, they don't have nearly as many natural performance numbers that the other groups all have. So what does that leave? Character? "Heart?" Other subjective stuff...toughness, resistance to injury..."athleticism" (multi sport history)...I dunno...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back