• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you remember ... The Hot Dog Man ... aka Weiner Schlinger?

TnHusker87

Mayor of Shinola
5 Year Member
Got my Nebraska alumni magazine in the mail today ... on the obit page at the back, 'the hot dog man' aka Stephen Potter (1944 - 2019) was identified with a picture. Said that he began in 1963 & serviced fans for 36 years.

I had forgotten about that guy's special delivery that was a part of my Memorial Stadium experience while a student in the 80s. RIP Mr. Potter.

I remember him from my time attending games as a kid in the 80's and 90's. I recall people wadding up their money in the hot dog foil and tossing it back. I also remember "Mad Mike" beating his drum up and down the aisles. Those were the days.
Nothing like those days in the stands, IMO. Wadding up your cash in the wrapper and throwing it back was as much fun for the kids as getting a hotdog being shot at you.

Don't forget Husker Bob in the cast of odd '80's characters of Memorial Stadium. I think Mad Mike ended up being employed by the Chiefs for several years.

I was always impressed how Mr. Potter could throw a hot dog and get money back - and if someone tried to shortchange him, he could get the stadium cops to fix the problem. RIP sir, thanks for the memories.

One of my favorite Husker fans recently was the Husker Sombrero Guy.

52048014b3286.image.jpg

Don't forget Husker Bob in the cast of odd '80's characters of Memorial Stadium. I think Mad Mike ended up being employed by the Chiefs for several years.

I was always impressed how Mr. Potter could throw a hot dog and get money back - and if someone tried to shortchange him, he could get the stadium cops to fix the problem. RIP sir, thanks for the memories.

Ah..."Husker Bob"....real name was Bob Rowe.
What's forgotten is that he was the originator of the "GooooBiiiiigggRehh-eddd. Go! Big! Red!" chant.
That guy was a classic in his suit and tie...wandering the stands...shaking hands and yelling his signature chant.
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 2.43.48 PM.png

Last edited:

What about the cop who would hop up the concrete “steps” in between quarters (Mario??)I think this stopped after a renovation. I remember walking to a game after he stopped doing this and he was directing traffic before the game. Our group was crossing the street, recognized him and shouted at him. Right in the middle of a busy intersection he stopped, turned to us and ripped open his police uniform like Superman showing a red N t-shirt underneath.

Ah..."Husker Bob"....real name was Bob Rowe.
What's forgotten is that he was the originator of the "GooooBiiiiigggRehh-eddd. Go! Big! Red!" chant.
That guy was a classic in his suit and tie...wandering the stands...shaking hands and yelling his signature chant.
View attachment 38404
Hey pal, I didnt forget. That's why I mentioned it. :p It was much more varied back then, too. :) He died in the stadium, where the student section is now, doing what he loved.

There was also a guy who used to spiral ice cream bars from the floor of the colosseum during Husker basketball games. He was incredibly accurate, even to the upper row seats. Half the time his dime (actual price) wouldn't make it down to floor level, however. That's going waaay back.

There was also a guy who used to spiral ice cream bars from the floor of the colosseum during Husker basketball games. He was incredibly accurate, even to the upper row seats. Half the time his dime (actual price) wouldn't make it down to floor level, however. That's going waaay back.
Same time as the guys with the torch under the bleachers, heating up pennies and chucking them onto the floor?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back