• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do you have unique Husker "Stuff"?

Me too. I didn’t get the memo that after tearing down the goal posts you were supposed to deposit it the fountain in front of the student union or on the sidewalk in front of your favorite watering hole. Had to take it through the rear door of my apt, put one end in the corner of the kitchen, then lift the other end up to the ceiling just to be able to close the door.
The craziest play in college football history is probably still "The Play" when the Stanford band came on the field to celebrate as the Cal kickoff return team brought it back for a TD, but that was on November 20, 1982, and the Husker goalposts didn't come down until the following week when we thrashed the Sooners. Still, that's my guess.

Has anyone seen a ceramic Herbie bursting out of a football while toting the tater? I do have an Audrey Towater painting of a game at Memorial called "Touchdown"

I have a picture of me with all of the 'Scarletts' dance team. Not sure if that is creepy or cool.

Can you put up a pic of what that looks like? I can't find it online, and I'm curious.

I got hold of a piece of goalpost after an OU win in the early 90's.

I cut it up to give to family as gifts/momento of the game (19-14 NU win. Bitter cold. NU trailed 0-14 early).

I don't know what the composition of the goalposts are, but I can tell you it is a very hard material, and I went through many jig saw blades to cut it up.

I did the same for goal posts after the OU/NU game 1982. I rushed the field and was standing by the goal posts in the north end zone when the left upright came down right in front of me. We carried it out of the stadium and through the streets of Lincoln. We were trying to figure out what do next and end up carrying to an auto repair shop. They cut it into foot long sections and we each got one. I had it in my dorm room for awhile then took to my uncle's blade sharpening shop in Omaha. He cut it into thin slices and we put them on plaques for everyone in the family. I still have it although after displaying it for years it's now packed away.

The craziest play in college football history is probably still "The Play" when the Stanford band came on the field to celebrate as the Cal kickoff return team brought it back for a TD, but that was on November 20, 1982, and the Husker goalposts didn't come down until the following week when we thrashed the Sooners. Still, that's my guess.
Crap! According to the ‘net, you are correct. It is a good thing I didn’t become a history teacher that lectured from memory. Yeah, it was the ‘82 OU game the goalpost was from. Being a drunk college student must have clouded my memory. At least that is how I remembered it.

Husker Country Doc, they are some sort of aluminum alloy. I thought it seemed heavy walking it through Lincoln, but it turned out that the other 15 people hanging on it just made it feel that way. The aluminum conducted the heat too quickly to cut it with the torch we originally tried with, but a chop saw made pretty quick work of it the next morning. Threw the circuit breaker several times though.

Last edited:

For the past 6 or 7 years I have worn my Husker Hawaiian shirt for every game in NC, Az, or when I can in Lincoln---I would love to buy a newer, larger one, but can't find one.

Crap! According to the ‘net, you are correct. It is a good thing I didn’t become a history teacher that lectured from memory. Yeah, it was the ‘82 OU game the goalpost was from. Being a drunk college student must have clouded my memory. At least that is how I remembered it.

Husker Country Doc, they are some sort of aluminum alloy. I thought it seemed heavy walking it through Lincoln, but it turned out that the other 15 people hanging on it just made it feel that way. The aluminum conducted the heat too quickly to cut it with the torch we originally tried with, but a chop saw made pretty quick work of it the next morning. Threw the circuit breaker several times though.

In my mind, it's a aluminum-magnesium alloy. LOL. NO idea if it's true, but for a college kid with no contacts in Lincoln (anyone with a metal shop), and only a jigsaw to work with. I got-r-done.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back