• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Do you agree with the NCAA sanctions on PSU?

Do you agree with the NCAA sanctions on PSU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn State deserves to be flayed. I just don't see how it's the NCAA's job.
After coddling USC and Ohio State, it looks like they're trying to reestablish their street cred.

I think you will begin to see the NCAA trying to sink their teeth deeper. Especially since the USC sanctions haven't hurt as much as expected. Bring glory back to collegiate sports before they are all as bad as the NBA all star game. I think they explored tougher options and came to a tough but fair decision.

I agree with the penalties, but $60M seems kind of like a firm smack to the hand...to any of us that seems like a lot if money, but for an institution that large with the alumni backing they have it will probably not be too difficult to absorb. The 20 schollie penalty will hurt the worst as they will be a .500 team at best for about a decade after this season. Couldn't care less about the vacated wins...but it was probably done to wipe Joe from the record books.

Penn State deserves to be flayed. I just don't see how it's the NCAA's job.
After coddling USC and Ohio State, it looks like they're trying to reestablish their street cred.

Agree. And with the speed of a National Enquirer headline at that.

Not sure what you would find from this poll. If I voted "no" on this poll, it could mean that I thought that the NCAA was too lenient on PSU, or, it could mean I thought they were too tough on PSU. To vote "yes" it would mean you thought the penalties were exactly right, neither too lenient or too harsh. This poll is not too useful.

Last edited:
I agree with the penalties, but $60M seems kind of like a firm smack to the hand...to any of us that seems like a lot if money, but for an institution that large with the alumni backing they have it will probably not be too difficult to absorb. The 20 schollie penalty will hurt the worst as they will be a .500 team at best for about a decade after this season. Couldn't care less about the vacated wins...but it was probably done to wipe Joe from the record books.
I thought that as well when the rumor of a big fine came out yesterday. But then I checked there endowment numbers. They had $136 million in donations last year alone, with a total of $1.83 billion. The money will be the least of their concerns, IMO.

The NCAA decimating a program that wasn't actually in violation of an NCAA rule...

Personally, I don't know... something about that doesn't sit right. I'm conflicted on what should happen with the program (not the individual wrongdoers... in cases like this, i think a cover up should be criminally prosecuted), but I feel like if this punishment was deserved then they should have banned football rather than putting a program through what those players will endure for the next four years (at least).

Not sure what you would find from this poll. If I voted "no" on this poll, it could mean that I thought that the NCAA was too lenient on PSU, or, it could mean I thought they were too tough on PSU. To vote "yes" it would mean you thought the penalties were exactly right, neither too lenient or too harsh. This poll is not too useful.
Well, I was just interested in whether people agreed or not. If they agree with the stance, they could reply saying why. I could change it to "yes", "no", and "This is all Bo Pelini's fault" to make you happy. :p

I disagree... I think MANY programs would see $60m as a major blow to their competitiveness, especially in today's facility arms race.

I thought that as well when the rumor of a big fine came out yesterday. But then I checked there endowment numbers. They had $136 million in donations last year alone, with a total of $1.83 billion. The money will be the least of their concerns, IMO.

Penn State athletics had a budget surplus of about $30 million last year. I doubt football revenue will drop much, given how the former players and fans have circled the wagons. It might suck for them if they had facility upgrades in the works and that $12 million yearly for the next five years was meant for something else, but this won't break them financially.

According to Department of Education data for 2010-11, Penn State enjoyed a net income of $31,619,687.00. This figure was reached by subtracting Penn State’s reported athletic department expenses of $84,498,339.00 from its reported revenues of $116,118,026.00.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciaj...cations-of-the-ncaas-sanctions-on-penn-state/

Last edited:

Ya know, if the NCAA is gonna grow a pair and start hammering violators then yeah, I'll agree with the sanctions. I tend to think that the only reason that the NCAA jumped in on this one is the lynch mob mentality of the public and they figured there wouldn't be a backlash for smackin PSU. They dropped the ball on USC, Ohio State and half the SEC.

To quote McJack in the PSU Sanctions thread, this nails it for me:

If true that it was this or the death penalty, then I actually think the NCAA did a fair job of preventing collateral damage to those who didn't have any direct involvement in this.

By not handing down the death penalty, businesses and the local community are not adversely effected by shutting down the commerce associated with game days.

By not handing down the death penalty, fans are not penalized or denied the chance to watch their team.

By allowing current players to transfer immediately, they have a choice whether or not they want to stay at a school that cannot compete in post-season games, or that may not be very competitive in the near future.

Also liked that they mandated that PSU cannot cut any non-rev sports as a response to lost football revenues, so the rest of the schools' athletes are shielded from fallout.

I believe the punishment is a little stiff considering that most of the people now affected were not involved in the crime or cover up. But i still voted yes as they could have went harder based on the lack of institutional control.

They probably feel like they had to make Penn state an example. I thought the majority of the penalties would be monetary so to not affect the athletes on the team now, who had nothing to do with this. The NCAA should have come down this hard on some of the other recent schools if they're doing this to Penn state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back