• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Do we have a QB coach on staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of the drops were poorly thrown balls that the receiver had to reach back, up, down for?

Some maybe but a ton, as I recall, were flat out dropped. If you get your hands on it, you have to make the reception.

I have a hard time believing that Beck spent zero time with Martinez. I think that was written out of context. Granted, maybe there wasn’t any – stop practice and work on mechanics with Martinez for 15 minutes – type of coaching, but there still had to be coaching. If what was written is indeed true, sadly, there are high school programs that are light years ahead of us in that regard.

I’m very optimistic about TM’s success this year. I think well see a vast improvement… when/if he has time (which is putting the pressure on the line). If there’s a pocket, good protection and enough time for him, I believe hell be a better QB throwing the ball (hopefully). I do expect however that when the protection breaks down we’ll see the TM of old. There might be some questionable throws, with questionable mechanics, but I’m hoping that most of the time we see an improved passer.

In short ... yes.

I feel first TB should have had Ganz or someone trained on what skills should be taught to all the QBs. Footwork drills, throwing drills, dropback drills ... then Ganz or another GA or someone could work on those repetition drills with all the QBs.

Second I don't care if they implemented only 1/3rd of the playbook ... much like coach Herman Boone (from Remember the Titans) IMO they would be better off training their players on how to execute a handful plays then brandishing a whole new offense on players unable to execute.

I see what you are saying, but the practices I got to go to including the very first one this spring, during QB drills that is all they did was work on mechanics and drop backs. Throwing from a knee, stepping over bags and around them on drop backs, etc...so I doubt this was a new revelation that they just started in the spring. I also saw it was Ganz throwing with Taylor to get a better watch of him. So I don't think we just didn't work on mechanics at all.

Secondly, there are two schools of thought. You could "dumb down" the playbook and have less plays but run them extremely well, and have more time to work on mechanics. Or, you could be extremely multiple so you had the defense guessing the whole time and they weren't able to know what you were going to be doing the whole time with your limited amount of plays. I assume Beck just wanted to get the offense in and figured there would be some growing pains with mechanics and worry about that in the offseason. Rather than work on mechanics for one player and have the growth of the others in the offense be stalled...

Just my opinion, not saying yours is right or wrong compared to it. I think he did it the right way...

I see what you are saying, but the practices I got to go to including the very first one this spring, during QB drills that is all they did was work on mechanics and drop backs. Throwing from a knee, stepping over bags and around them on drop backs, etc...so I doubt this was a new revelation that they just started in the spring. I also saw it was Ganz throwing with Taylor to get a better watch of him. So I don't think we just didn't work on mechanics at all.

Secondly, there are two schools of thought. You could "dumb down" the playbook and have less plays but run them extremely well, and have more time to work on mechanics. Or, you could be extremely multiple so you had the defense guessing the whole time and they weren't able to know what you were going to be doing the whole time with your limited amount of plays. I assume Beck just wanted to get the offense in and figured there would be some growing pains with mechanics and worry about that in the offseason. Rather than work on mechanics for one player and have the growth of the others in the offense be stalled...

Just my opinion, not saying yours is right or wrong compared to it. I think he did it the right way...
I'm a basketball coach. Fundamentally i believe the off-season is where players improve themselves. Shooting, strength, ball handling. As a coach we can give them drills, programs and goals but ultimately it is incumbent on the player to improve himself.

During the season is where we as coaches mesh the individual talents as a team. There is only so many hours in a day and we can't teach someone during the season how to shoot a 3-pointer but we can help refine the shooting motion if necessary.

So I understand the point to a degree ... we also do not design an offense and force players to adjust their talent to that offense ... on the contrary we adjust our offense around the talent and skills of the players we have. I thought BP did a wonderful job of that in '10 with a mid-season offensive philosophy adjustment. That is why I wondeer what happened last year and I have hope for this coming year. If everything TM is doing pays off in performance then i think we'll all be very happy by years end!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this:
Steve Calhoun, who has helped mold the likes of Cam Newton, Jake Locker and a small handful of recent draft picks for the NFL

Cam Newton and Jake Locker are decent QB's who had decent college careers and are playing at the next level. He is also working with EJ Manual from Florida State. I guess, FSU, Auburn and UW don't have QB coaches either. Or Calhoun is just so good, that even really good QB's are getting lessons from him. Calhoun was also invited to be a coach at the Manning QB camp.

Regardless, I'm so happy TM is putting in the extra time and effort to try and improve! I know we are all hoping it translates to improvment on the field!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19553536

Do we need to needle this thing to death. The kid realized he had a problem, The coaches realized, we seen it. Taylor has a powerful arm. Now if he begins throwing off his back foot I say watch out for the kid. Lets give him a chance. He does not shotputt like Scott Frost did & Frostie turned into a pretty accurate guy.

Do we need to needle this thing to death. The kid realized he had a problem, The coaches realized, we seen it. Taylor has a powerful arm. Now if he begins throwing off his back foot I say watch out for the kid. Lets give him a chance. He does not shotputt like Scott Frost did & Frostie turned into a pretty accurate guy.

No one should be on TM over this, you saw the HS tape that HRD posted. Last year he threw exactly the way he did in HS and without a QB coach or Offensive coordinator who cared how he threw, it's not surprizing he didn't improve. But, he took it upon himself to get the QB coach, so I am excited to see the results of what a kid can do when he gets coaching.

I loved Scott Frost's grit and toughness. However, his throwing mechanics weren't much better than Taylor's. Whether he was throwing the shot in a track meet or throwing a football in a game, he looked the same. No, I think we can find a better QB coach than Scott Frost.

I believe Chuck Long is available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back