• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Do we have a QB coach on staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was actually just reading on this 5 minutes ago....very interesting questions have come up. By the sounds of the article, we really don't even have a QB coach who knows his stuff or can break down/analyze the motions and all...one would think we'd have a coach, even if not titled QB coach, but has the knowledge and analytical skills to work with the QB at this intricate level. Doesn't sound like we have anyone like that on staff. We're fortunate that Martinez's parents, if they are, are able to afford these lessons/sessions with Calhoun.

As a potential QB recruit, this article would throw up a gigantic red flag. "The coaches just don't have the time." I hope... really HOPE... that this Calhoun guy is a little full of himself here. The assertion that no one on staff has enough time to coach the starting QB on basic fundamentals is frightening, not to mention that he apparently has gotten worse at Nebraska. Yikes!

We had Ganz last year helping out but I'm guessing that installing and understanding the offense was a higher priority than working on mechanics. All the coaches were trying to learn the offense so I'm guessing TB's plate was full.

Last edited:

Seems like a QB coach who works on the mechanics and what not would be a valuable addition...kind of makes you wonder if this is why Zac Lee, Cody Green, and Brion Carnes haven't developed very well....

I agree about passing mechanics. There has been little progression in our quarterbacks.

Personally, I think that Tim Beck is a great OC. He's shown the ability to call a complete game and put plays on the field that attack the opponents weakness. Now, whether we execute that plan is another question. But beyond that, he hasn't been much of a quarterback developer.

We need a full time QB coach. Somebody fly out here to Eugene and offer Scott Frost.

If we were running the power I option I'd want Scott Frost...but our QBs need to know how to throw too...not sure Frost is the guy I want teaching our Qbs how to throw.

"If (a defender) comes within half a foot of Taylor, well, he runs a 4.3 or 4.4 (40-yard dash), and has phenomenal escapability," the coach says.

Where is this phenominal escapability he speaks of?

From some of the posts it is apparent that there is a lack of awareness of the article on the main page of HP.

First thing:
Beck, who doubles as quarterbacks coach, has said it was difficult to find adequate time last year to work with his quarterbacks on techniques because Nebraska was busy installing a new offense. The pace was downright frantic at times, Beck said.
http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/football/article_1c23710b-07ff-537c-8dfb-34f804817131.html

Second point is that I don't believe that NCAA limitations on the number of full time coaches would allow NU to hire a "specialized" position coach like some of you suggest. I also believe that Beck's schedule gets a little less hectic the second year in his offense so maybe more attention can be given to QB techniques. Also, I believe Joe Ganz was a GA and not an assistant coach and am not sure about his expertise in QB coaching. I believe that the job with Carl is his first "coaching" job.

Last point is that I have become a more avid Taylor Martinez fan because of his efforts and investment in becoming a more complete quarterback. I am a believer that anyone that invests that much time and treasure to improve deserves that respect. Sipple mentioned that he is a skeptic and he certainly has a lot of company. I will find out in a few months whether my confidence in him is justified. The proof is in the pudding.

From some of the posts it is apparent that there is a lack of awareness of the article on the main page of HP.

First thing:http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/football/article_1c23710b-07ff-537c-8dfb-34f804817131.html

Second point is that I don't believe that NCAA limitations on the number of full time coaches would allow NU to hire a "specialized" position coach like some of you suggest. I also believe that Beck's schedule gets a little less hectic the second year in his offense so maybe more attention can be given to QB techniques. Also, I believe Joe Ganz was a GA and not an assistant coach and am not sure about his expertise in QB coaching. I believe that the job with Carl is his first "coaching" job.

Last point is that I have become a more avid Taylor Martinez fan because of his efforts and investment in becoming a more complete quarterback. I am a believer that anyone that invests that much time and treasure to improve deserves that respect. Sipple mentioned that he is a skeptic and he certainly has a lot of company. I will find out in a few months whether my confidence in him is justified. The proof is in the pudding.

Alas a voice of reason. That is not always the case on here. I too am looking for a marked improvement in Taylor this year. My take on the article was the Offensive staff was busy installing the new offense and did not have the time to work with Taylor on mechanics.

A quick look around the conference has revealed that many OCs double as the QBs coach. I looked at Michigan OSU and Northwestern. It sure seems like we need to do something though. We haven't had a good passer in the last three seasons, and that includes 3 different QBs.

Idk, maybe we've just had a bad crop. Zac Lee, Cody Green, and Martinez have looked downright awful at times though. I don't want to beat them up as I know they play hard, but QB development has left a lot to be desired under the Pelini staff.

Last edited:

Wasn't Watson the QB coach up until last year? I was a bit dismayed to read his mechanics have gotten worse from high school through his soph year, but I would have to agree. The injuries as a freshman, along with the lack of coaching in mechanics, for whatever reason, have set him back. Here's hoping working with Calhoun, and Beck with more time this year, really pay dividends for Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back