• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

DL vs DB - Chicken or the Egg?

EXACTLY. Exhibit A - the Giant team that beat the Patriots for the 2nd time in the Super Bowl. Piss poor defensive backfield, but a great front 4. No blitzes necessary. 4 guys outplayed the 5 offensive linemen and it made for an absolute nightmare. As a Pat's fan and New Englander, that game stings but I truly admire the simplicity of that defense. And it all started up front.
Anybody remember when the Eagles had Reggie White AND Jerome Brown? You absolutely had to double-team both of them, every play, so now what do you do with 7 on 9? Even then, they still made plays if you didn't have a RB to help when needed. Bill Parcells was said to have all but curled up in a fetal position when he saw the Eagles draft Brown when Reggie had already been such an unstoppable force.

I think it depends on the team you're playing. So many teams get the ball out in under 3 seconds that almost no matter what the pass rush is rendered moot. In this defense with the teams we typically play, I'll take coverage LB's all day over DL/DB.

Old big 8/12 days I would take a strong DL first.

Give me a dominant DL all day every day. Clemson could play with HS kids in their secondary with as disruptive as their DL has been the last few years. Those guys wreak havoc on every single play.

I think it depends on the team you're playing. So many teams get the ball out in under 3 seconds that almost no matter what the pass rush is rendered moot. In this defense with the teams we typically play, I'll take coverage LB's all day over DL/DB.

Old big 8/12 days I would take a strong DL first.
So --- you're saying that pass rush/sacking the qb is greatly overrated? Seems like I've heard something like that before. Diaco?

dl rushes passer and bottles up running game. primarily dose 2 things

So --- you're saying that pass rush/sacking the qb is greatly overrated? Seems like I've heard something like that before. Diaco?
Not at all. I'm saying it's much harder to sack or even pressure the qb these days when the ball comes out so fast.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back