• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dismuke and Stovall--c'mon man!

Lol...sorry, it's not bravado. If you've coached and ever tried to establish a culture, there are many times when you must take a step backwards to take two steps forward. In Scott's case, there were so many issues coming in, one couldn't expect him to fix it in one year. He is obviously still experiencing issues with lack of buy-in and discipline and it is at these times when rules of conduct are not only established...but more importantly, executed upon. Losing an unproven freshman (Robinson), a special teams player (Stovall), a running back we honestly cant expect anything from this year at this point (Washington), and a potential starting safety (biggest hit, Dismuke) is not the end of the world. If the discipline results in this type of behavior being greatly diminished, then in my eyes, it is worth it in the long haul...even if we drop a game we shouldn't have. This is the year to completely clear the cobwebs and hopefully, leadership amongst the players will get firmly established at the same time.

I'm not disagreeing with you because I don't have the answers. But I don't think you can expect your football team to be immune to social pressures etc. Frost won't get anyone to come here if UNL is seen as a convent. Kids are going to smoke weed. Best thing to do imo is punish the guys that are caught driving under the influence. That sets an example that you aren't better than anyone in society, and expected to be a role model for area youth. These same kids take time out to visit children in hospitals and low income recreational facilities and provide meaningful and inspirational interactions. A Friday night joint with the boys in the dorm is the least of my concerns. Not hurting anyone. Legalization is supposed to curb the shady drug deals in back alleys and the like. Clean it up.
Hopefully that is happening. But these kids need to be reminded by Frost that driving under the influence will not be tolerated. That isn't part of the deal here or anywhere else. Society is bending. The executive and judicial branches are bending. All to protect people's futures along with countless other interests. Just keep it at home boys and girls.

Lol...sorry, it's not bravado. If you've coached and ever tried to establish a culture, there are many times when you must take a step backwards to take two steps forward. In Scott's case, there were so many issues coming in, one couldn't expect him to fix it in one year. He is obviously still experiencing issues with lack of buy-in and discipline and it is at these times when rules of conduct are not only established...but more importantly, executed upon. Losing an unproven freshman (Robinson), a special teams player (Stovall), a running back we honestly cant expect anything from this year at this point (Washington), and a potential starting safety (biggest hit, Dismuke) is not the end of the world. If the discipline results in this type of behavior being greatly diminished, then in my eyes, it is worth it in the long haul...even if we drop a game we shouldn't have. This is the year to completely clear the cobwebs and hopefully, leadership amongst the players will get firmly established at the same time.
Coached young kids, played, been a part of programs that had some pot smoking, some excessive drinking, some steroid use, a little unsavory behavior with the opposite sex. I saw some guys get cited for alcohol, marijuana, assault, shoplifting, had cars, stereos, appliances and furniture repossessed, all the fun and games that comes with a few thousand 17-22 year olds in a relatively small area.

And since you know how it is to coach, you also should know there are a million opportunities just during practice to change behavior, and create examples of guys. Our coach wasn’t a drinker, he had his dad die young from alcohol abuse, so showing up with a hangover was going to be a brutal day, Star or benchwarmer. You were guaranteed to get extra reps during sucky drills, have water breaks cut short, have second and third stringers come after you with greater gusto, and probably get fewer reps with your usual group, but get tossed in with one of the scrub groups.

A starter coming off the bench is a solid message. A player getting far fewer minutes is a message. Being disparaged in practice is a message. Being put against a particular player with the sole purpose of making your practice that much worse is a message. Being ridden, coached over, grilled about classes, all these things can make your life suck, and the entire team gets to watch you suffer. And God forbid you dog it or whine, because it would just get worse.

It cracks me up when people think there is only one way to send a message to an entire team. Ask the guys on the 95 squad how much fun LP had when he was allowed back. And don’t jump on the fact he was suspended, he committed a very violent crime, and his punishment was probably too light. But when he did come back, his practices were pure misery. No one missed the message sent, no one thought he was getting preferential treatment.

For 85% of the team, drinking a beer is breaking the law. If the NCAA was going to be true to its rules, when they did testing, they’d include alcohol and show it as a violation for anyone under the age of 21. If guys get cited for that, are you in favor of suspension as well? If kids go to a big house party over the summer and get a ticket for minor in possession, should they be suspended?

Bravado or not, the idea we go into Boulder, or the first 4 games without the use of several starters or key contributors puts the team at risk.

Last edited:
The loosening of the marijuana laws are designed to keep people OUT of trouble. There's been a hundred threads here on the subject. People have a strong argument on multiple sides and perspectives of the issue. Years ago these two in possession could be arrested and prosecuted and sent to jail. Then had their schollies pulled and any future financial aid pulled. That's just stupid. Most of society agrees that is poor handling of marijuana use.
So now we have an epidemic where it's a social norm, just like Holland. Isn't legal there either, just decriminalized and socially acceptable. Problem I see is that it isn't supposed to be used irresponsibly. My son isn't supposed to drive on his Seroquel either, makes him too drowsy.
We've traded one problem for another. Kids think it's ok to smoke and drive. Just like adults (including a past receivers coach) think it's ok to drink and drive. Randy Gregory doesn't care about millions of dollars. Kids don't care about their athletic scholarships. Plain and simple. Weed is here to stay. Just needs to be decriminalized or legalized so the kids don't have to drive around doing it in my opinion. And I hope that Frost makes an example out of the ones who show complete irresponsibility that puts others in harms way. Not just the dorm smokers. Some here made a big fuss about KJ jr. At least he wasn't driving.
There is a lot of accuracy in this post. Society has changed a lot regarding this. For the question of would you lose your job for this? Many have said yes but in my past life I did safety work. Drug testing either pre-hire or post accident would have gotten you fired. Now days its an exception......rather than a rarity that companies even pre-screen for MJ. It stays in the system for 30 days and they could say they were visiting Colorado 2 weeks ago. With alcohol you can tell if the guy was intoxicated when his vehicle hit another guy. With MJ you can't.

I wonder if this is a Nebraska problem or something common around the NCAA. Rarely do you see it making headlines on ESPN anymore. Are they having the same number of arrests other places that are just not going public nationally anymore?

If you are going to play as a team you suffer as a team. One screws up all screw up. Who do you play? for...Each other and The University of Nebraska. One falls all fall

If you are going to play as a team you suffer as a team. One screws up all screw up. Who do you play? for...Each other and The University of Nebraska. One falls all fall
Bingo. That should be the message

Bravado or not, the idea we go into Boulder, or the first 4 games without the use of several starters or key contributors puts the team at risk.

I guess we will agree to disagree. For you, it keeps coming back down to "What will we do about the Colorado game?" If they lose because four players are suspended, then there is a major lesson learned and hopefully these players realize they not only hurt their reputation, but more importantly they let their team down. If there have been three different incidents in this short period of time...guess how many of these kids are NOT getting caught. Again, I believe a stern message needs to be sent.

Assuming Frost is who we believe he is, it may well take a few years to establish the culture he desires. Anyone who believes this team is invulnerable to factors that could cause things to go south fairly quickly are living in dreamland. What he pulled off at UCF after two years was a unique situation that one shouldn't assume will be duplicated this year at Nebraska. The media doesn't mind setting up people for failure -- they will win whether Frost is successful or not. Don't be sucked in.

Crap is getting old. And 2nd time driving with a suspended license for Dismuke? I'm no lawyer but when I hear "2nd Time" I'm thinking, "Bigger Consquences". Plus of course he had to do something to get it suspended in the first place. And then no front plate?

Work with us here, fellas. Quit TRYING to get in trouble.
"Slow blinkers," perhaps?

I wonder if this is a Nebraska problem or something common around the NCAA. Rarely do you see it making headlines on ESPN anymore. Are they having the same number of arrests other places that are just not going public nationally anymore?

I would say it is likely not considered "news" to a lot of folks these days. Those networks need headlines that move the needle. To many, a college kid with some weed is not any worse than a high school kid with a pack of cigarettes.

For me, it's not about being for or against mj. It's about priorities. Whether you think it's abig deal or not, these young men know that, at this point in time, it's against team rules, UNL rules, NCAA rules, and State of NE laws. They choose to prioritize their own pleasure and lifestyle over what's best for the team. I can't speak to what happens inside the locker room or messages being sent. As an outside observer, it looks very selfish and disrespectful to everyone on the team who's obeying the rules, even if they may also disagree with them.

This can be turned into a great life lesson for every current and future Husker, regardless of which sport they play. Prioritizing your desires over the good of the team has consequences, and those consequences extend beyond the individual to the rest of the team, the staff, the athletic department, and the University as a whole. Throughout our lives, there will always be rules with which we disagree, regardless of our position or opinions. We can choose to obey the rules, or break them, and the pain involved with breaking the rules usually extends beyond the individual(s) who choose that path.

This is definitely not a “problem” specific to UNL and since the weed continues to be decriminalized & even legitimized by health care professionals who proscribe the same, this “problem” specifically as it relates to weed is here to stay & how it is dealt with will continue to evolve. That said Driving while impaired without a license or on a suspended license is stupid & dangerous regardless of substance.

Here in Norman we are hours away from possibly a multi billion dollar verdict against Johnson & Johnson for conspiring to get Oklahomans addicted to Opiates rather than the doctors who routinely overprescribe it. The ramifications will likely be far reaching.

Anyway, I’m tired of typing with my thumbs and if it was me, I’d suspend the walkon!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back