• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dismuke and Stovall--c'mon man!

I feel the exact same way with cigarette and cigar smokers. Why people still smoke cigs is a freaking mind boggling enigma to me.
I have a relative that suffers from depression and does not like the oral meds. Cigarettes and a little weed keep him calm, so I stopped saying anything to him. Might it kill him later. Sure. Going off will put him a depressive state so I just let it go now.

1. Did anyone else think Coach Fisher's high praise of Dismuke's attitude turnaround and leadership a day after this story went public was a bit...odd?

2. Don't care about weed. Don't do it in dorms or cars and don't let it interfere with your team performance. Just like alcohol. The saving grace of the story is that Dismuke was NOT cited for driving under the influence. That endangers people's lives and is a clear red line for me. Caught driving on a suspended license for a second time falls somewhere between for me.

1. Did anyone else think Coach Fisher's high praise of Dismuke's attitude turnaround and leadership a day after this story went public was a bit...odd?

2. Don't care about weed. Don't do it in dorms or cars and don't let it interfere with your team performance. Just like alcohol. The saving grace of the story is that Dismuke was NOT cited for driving under the influence. That endangers people's lives and is a clear red line for me. Caught driving on a suspended license for a second time falls somewhere between for me.
Anyone getting nailed a second time driving under suspension shows a total lack of respect for the law imo. In Connectiut he'd be lucky not to get 60 or 90 days jail time. Also the offenders license is then suspended for additional FIVE YEARS... no exceptions. Not familiar with the DMV laws in Nebraska but needless to say it's incredibly stupid getting caught again.........

There is a lot of accuracy in this post. Society has changed a lot regarding this. For the question of would you lose your job for this? Many have said yes but in my past life I did safety work. Drug testing either pre-hire or post accident would have gotten you fired. Now days its an exception......rather than a rarity that companies even pre-screen for MJ. It stays in the system for 30 days and they could say they were visiting Colorado 2 weeks ago. With alcohol you can tell if the guy was intoxicated when his vehicle hit another guy. With MJ you can't.

You bring up a great discussion on employers changing their testing and subsequent stances. I just left a position at a hospital that tested randomly for nicotine. Modern tests are for byproducts they remain observable for almost a year after nicotine use. You will be terminated if the test is positive.
I left to go to another company where I had to pee in a cup and submit to fingerprinting. I'm sure a positive hit on either would have prevented my employment. Not sure a weekend in Colorado would have been a strong enough or approved alibi.

Kids are going to smoke weed. Can't expect these guys to be immune to social pressures. If Frost turns UNL into a convent then nobody will come here. He needs to punish the ones who put others in harms way, i.e. driving. These kids visit hospitals and lower socio-income facilities and make a positive difference. If a kid buys a handful of those gummy bears or whatever or hits the pipe in the dorm on a Friday night I really don't care. Not hurting anyone. But the driving while impaired is not good. They are supposed to be setting examples. The loosening of laws is something that not all law enforcement is a big fan of. They can tell to some degree if you are impaired, maybe a field sobriety type of concept.
Society, the executive and judicial branches are bending over backwards for marijuana. In return the expectation is responsible use. Maybe in the near future we will have billions of tax dollars to spend and billions of incarcerations saved and lots of good can be done. In the meantime quit smoking and driving. That was never part of the deal.

Support edibles? :Biggrin: Not that it will encourage better hygiene, but it is one fewer odor...

I feel the exact same way with cigarette and cigar smokers. Why people still smoke cigs is a freaking mind boggling enigma to me.

My aunt smoked cigarettes for years (she may still) but she was always what I'd consider a respectful smoker. She'd only smoke outside on the back patio and immediately afterwards, she'd chew gum or otherwise get rid of the smoke smell. Heck, if you didn't know she smoked, you'd absolutely never guess.

Here in Eugene, it's become en vogue to have that air of pot stank around you. People just bask in it. Makes me want to barf every single time I smell it. Is it legal here (and in other states)? Yup, totally. But have some freaking respect. Nobody wants to smell your ashtray hair and musky clothes.

And back on the NU players, do it at home. In private. It always amazes me how dumb some of these kids can be. Just like underage drinking. If you're 18 and gonna have a beer, the last place you need to be having said beer is at some banger of a frat party with mattresses on the front lawn. Drink your damn beer while you watch a football game or play XBOX in the relative safety and privacy of your own home. Other people have commented on similar things with driving a vehicle. If you're gonna drive without a license, make sure your taillights work, your music isn't too loud and you follow the rules of the road.

I remember driving one time when my insurance was expired. It wasn't intentional, but I'd forgotten to renew the policy. Had like 3 days between the old one expiring and my new cards coming in the mail (before the internet). Man, I drove like a sissy grandma for a couple days. 5mph under the limit, slowed down a bit through intersections even if the light was green, and I never took a right turn on red. Just waited for the light.

I feel like you actually have to try to be overt with some of this stuff. It's not that hard to smoke a joint somewhere secluded or drink booze in your basement.

Lack of discipline is concerning for me. We can argue all the other stuff for years, multiple times doing the same wrong thing, or thinking you can skirt the rules is what bugs me.

Some of these kids that think they can drive without a license (multiple times!), smoke that herb need a lesson in American History and to see what this great nation was built on - following all the rules and never disobeying the government. Time to bag and gag some of these miscreants and clean up the streets.

This might be a groundbreaking statement, but 18-22 year olds make really dumb decisions. All of them do.
I know people of all ages that make dumb decisions as well. Some will lose their jobs because of it. It has to be tough on a coach (any coach any team) when something like this comes up. It is my guess that the coaches that know the kids will do what is best for the players and team, whether we agree or not remains to be seen, but our opinion is irrelevant in the long run. I do wish these kids would not gamble though, is it really worth it, especially if you have done something wrong already?

I know people of all ages that make dumb decisions as well. Some will lose their jobs because of it. It has to be tough on a coach (any coach any team) when something like this comes up. It is my guess that the coaches that know the kids will do what is best for the players and team, whether we agree or not remains to be seen, but our opinion is irrelevant in the long run. I do wish these kids would not gamble though, is it really worth it, especially if you have done something wrong already?

For some, it takes quite a few times and a harsh punishment to get the message.

These players aren't some dopey 18 year old kids working at the 7-11 riding a skateboard all around town- they are in a fishbowl at NU and have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. I would expect them to be a little more careful about the choices they make, especially for the next 3-5 years. Is it fair that the 7-11 kid can do bong hits all day and no one cares? Probably not, but life isn't fair sometimes. And I read earlier in a post some advice on just doing this stuff at home- when I used ot go out to bars (every weekend) it was a social thing for me, luckily I never had (or developed?) the alcoholic gene so many of my friends now live with, I went out to have a good time and have a few (sometimes a LOT of) beers. Sitting in my basement with the xbox and a 12 pack never even crossed my mind. (I am lumping weed and beer into the same category here, as I don't really see a huge difference in them other than the physical effects). My point is, the pressure to be "social" and party a little, especially at that age, is incredible, but these kids need to understand their situations a little better, I think. Will it happen? Doubt it.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back