• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Disable Ad Block

To be fair, the $20 you paid was solely so you could post in the forums. To my knowledge, nothing has ever been said it establishes ad-free viewing.

That said, @solesrfr is correct and as such I will not disable my ad blocker on this or any other site. If that degrades my Internet "experience" so be it. My subscription expires in October, until then I'll put up with the pop up.

I think it's all of us that are using Ad-block. I just keep rebooting the page (maybe 3-4 times) until I get "Continue without supporting" option.

Yep, when I checked the site later in the day the option was back. Very random and frustrating.

C

Last edited:

I know that people have to make a living, but to the points before: I'm not interested in being the product that's sold. I'll continue on but I won't expose myself to bad acting advertising companies. If it becomes a requirement to turn off ad-blockers and tracking-blockers, I'll find another site. I hope no one is taking this personally from the HuskerMax side,; I'm just making an informed choice.

I know that people have to make a living, but to the points before: I'm not interested in being the product that's sold. I'll continue on but I won't expose myself to bad acting advertising companies. If it becomes a requirement to turn off ad-blockers and tracking-blockers, I'll find another site. I hope no one is taking this personally from the HuskerMax side,; I'm just making an informed choice.

The amount of ad blocking was approaching 40 per cent. This site would not be around if that trend continued. I added Ad Block to test it out and found the following sites that also ask to turn off ad blockers or subscribe.

Omaha World Herald
Lincoln Journal Star
NBC Sports
CBS Sports
Yahoo Sports
Just about all of the news sites.

We have worked hard to eliminate the bad acting advertising companies and those complaints have dropped off significantly in the past several months. I get that people don't want to become a product that's sold but that is an issue that the Googles and FaceBooks will need to address because they are behind it and are everywhere. I don't plug in my Google Home until I actually want to use it because I don't want it listening to me. There has to be a happy medium and whether we like it or not every site we visit is being tracked by someone so by using Alexa, Facebook, and the internet we are a product.

The amount of ad blocking was approaching 40 per cent. This site would not be around if that trend continued. I added Ad Block to test it out and found the following sites that also ask to turn off ad blockers or subscribe.

Omaha World Herald
Lincoln Journal Star
NBC Sports
CBS Sports
Yahoo Sports
Just about all of the news sites.

We have worked hard to eliminate the bad acting advertising companies and those complaints have dropped off significantly in the past several months. I get that people don't want to become a product that's sold but that is an issue that the Googles and FaceBooks will need to address because they are behind it and are everywhere. I don't plug in my Google Home until I actually want to use it because I don't want it listening to me. There has to be a happy medium and whether we like it or not every site we visit is being tracked by someone so by using Alexa, Facebook, and the internet we are a product.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I know that you didn't create the problem, and you certainly aren't benefiting from the bad actors as they are poisoning the whole industry. Do you get ad credit if I surf your site from an incognito/private window? That might be the compromise for now.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I know that you didn't create the problem, and you certainly aren't benefiting from the bad actors as they are poisoning the whole industry. Do you get ad credit if I surf your site from an incognito/private window? That might be the compromise for now.

As long as the ads are showing we get credit.

I kept gett'n the add block disable window so I finally turned it off and honestly not had an issue so far. I'm using Chrome and not having any problems with pop up or redirects like I had earlier... I was wondering if David had called off the hounds.

Observing some stats. I had previously turned off Ad Blocker so I could get back to enjoying HM for the great site that it is. Out of curiosity, I just turned it back on and was immediately notified that SEVEN ads were blocked before I even tried to do any navigation. That seems like a tremendously high number per click that are now getting through to the laptop. I've turned it back off and will continue to leave it off; like any other business, I am assuming HM is assuming some level of risk involved in not protecting the consumer's privacy and other personal information.

Regarding the list of media sites listed by BRM. The decision for those is to subscribe OR turn off the ad blocker. In this case, to post in the forum, we are forced to subscribe AND turn off the ad blocker. There is no subscription choice for the other portions of the site, correct?

I'd much rather have HuskerMax monetize me with the more secure subscription model than to force me to turn off the ad blocker.

Strangely I'm not experiencing any of this at home or work. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Last edited:

I just got a Damn Amazon pop up,
Have to close out.and get back on.
Frustrating
Cheer up. Things could be worse.
At least you know how to post an animated gif...

amirite, @HUSKER HOT SAUCE ?
tenor.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back